Lester Selected to Mentor SU Quarterbacks | Syracusefan.com

Lester Selected to Mentor SU Quarterbacks

TheSpaz

2nd String
A highly successful collegiate quarterback and head coach, Tim Lester joins the Syracuse University football staff to coach the Orange quarterbacks. Lester just completed his fifth season as the head coach at Elmhurst College, where he guided the Bluejays to their most successful season in school history. Under Lester's direction, Elmhurst advanced to the NCAA playoffs for the first time in school history after earning a share of its first College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin (CCIW) championship since 1980. The 2012 CCIW Coach of the Year led the Bluejays to the second round of the NCAA playoffs and the eighth spot in the final national rankings.

http://suathletics.com/news/2013/1/17/FB_0117135656.aspx

He has his work cut out ahead of him but from what Hackett said Leob is as hard a worker as Nassib was so he'll have a nice asset to turn to. I think he'll be a good thing for Kinder and Hunt and maybe help them get into the fight for qb1.

I know Charlie hasn't played much, but remember the swing pass he threw in the Pinstripe Bowl. Right on the money, cold off the bench. That is one of the hardest passes to throw on the money. I think that kid is going to be a lot better that poeple think. Charlie and Terrell are going to be a great 1, 2 combination. I also think that if we run the quarterback more, both get playing time. Just my prediction.

I think Leob will do a good job as well and he's a decent athlete too. As long as Wilson comes and we can continue to get depth at the QB position I believe we'll be doing fine...just fine.

Love this hire.

And I agree with people about Loeb. I think he's really going to surprise people. He seems to have the physical tools and is very competitive. I love his speed, so he'll give defenses a different threat than Nassib did. I worry a little about his slow release, but hopefully he'll overcome that.

Running backs look great. Wide receivers are very young but talented. My biggest worry is replacing Pugh, hopefully Andy Phillips or Kyle Knapp step up and the rest of the line improves over the offseason. If so, we should have a solid offense to go with a very good defense.

Is it August yet?

The depth of the o-line worries me as well but I'm hoping we have some young guys or Phillips step up and take that fear away. It'll also help with Loeb's development as well, if he can have time for 2nd and 3rd reads we'll be in very good shape.

I think Leob will do a good job as well and he's a decent athlete too. As long as Wilson comes and we can continue to get depth at the QB position I believe we'll be doing fine...just fine.
Don't forget that reportedly, Charlie is the fastest of all our QB's.

Don't forget that reportedly, Charlie is the fastest of all our QB's.

I can't wait for the spring fling and to see if he has the confidence that a qb1 shows. Small sample study I know but knowing that he has a serious shot sometimes makes kids play to their potential and stops the second guessing or hesitancy. I really do believe we're in good hands at the qb spot with him and I would love nothing better than to see all 3 of the qb's execute well this spring.

I can't wait for the spring fling and to see if he has the confidence that a qb1 shows. Small sample study I know but knowing that he has a serious shot sometimes makes kids play to their potential and stops the second guessing or hesitancy. I really do believe we're in good hands at the qb spot with him and I would love nothing better than to see all 3 of the qb's execute well this spring.
Well said...it would be awesome if they were all very good and force the coaches to make a tough decision. Very much like the RB position was this past year.

Well said...it would be awesome if they were all very good and force the coaches to make a tough decision. Very much like the RB position was this past year.

Absolutely, nothing better than good competition. Add to that if Loeb does do well the understudies know that he's gone after 2013 so that will keep them sharp.

Love this hire.

And I agree with people about Loeb. I think he's really going to surprise people. He seems to have the physical tools and is very competitive. I love his speed, so he'll give defenses a different threat than Nassib did. I worry a little about his slow release, but hopefully he'll overcome that.

Running backs look great. Wide receivers are very young but talented. My biggest worry is replacing Pugh, hopefully Andy Phillips or Kyle Knapp step up and the rest of the line improves over the offseason. If so, we should have a solid offense to go with a very good defense.

Is it August yet?

If everyone expects Loeb to surprise is it really a surprise? ;)

If everyone expects Loeb to surprise is it really a surprise? ;)

Ha...I look at it like a box of craker jacks, you know there is a surprise you just don't know what it's going to be.

The depth of the o-line worries me as well but I'm hoping we have some young guys or Phillips step up and take that fear away. It'll also help with Loeb's development as well, if he can have time for 2nd and 3rd reads we'll be in very good shape.

I am not so worried. We have some great kids like Knapp and Palmer. We also have incoming JUCO John Miller. If we get lucky with late recruits, we should be fine.

Hypothetically, if Loeb does win the job, it may be what we need atleast in the beginning. Think about it, he is the most experienced of all the qbs as far as being involved in game planning as well as practice with the first and second team offense. Second, although limited in game experience, he has taken some snaps including the bowl game. Third, he is a left handed thrower. That is important in that his blind side will be the right side of the line and not the left (loss of Pugh and Chibane makes that side very unsettled). So if the LT and LG lose containment, he would see that and be able to get rid of the ball quickly. The right side of the line is the strength going forward. Next, he has familiarity of the system under Hackett and MacDonald seems to be of the same or similar mold. Loeb may be able to pick it up faster due to that familiarity and the fall off in production may not be that steep. The last part is that we use Loeb as a one year bridge, in the same way we used Paulus to give time for Nassib to grow. With the qb mentor we have in Lester, lets allow for a proper coaching up of the person who will be the long term solution while maybe not losing a year in eligibility. These are my two cents. I can't wait for the spring practices. I think that will really tell the tale of how bare the cubburd is or how good our stable of qbs really are.

Hypothetically, if Loeb does win the job, it may be what we need atleast in the beginning. Think about it, he is the most experienced of all the qbs as far as being involved in game planning as well as practice with the first and second team offense. Second, although limited in game experience, he has taken some snaps including the bowl game. Third, he is a left handed thrower. That is important in that his blind side will be the right side of the line and not the left (loss of Pugh and Chibane makes that side very unsettled). So if the LT and LG lose containment, he would see that and be able to get rid of the ball quickly. The right side of the line is the strength going forward. Next, he has familiarity of the system under Hackett and MacDonald seems to be of the same or similar mold. Loeb may be able to pick it up faster due to that familiarity and the fall off in production may not be that steep. The last part is that we use Loeb as a one year bridge, in the same way we used Paulus to give time for Nassib to grow. With the qb mentor we have in Lester, lets allow for a proper coaching up of the person who will be the long term solution while maybe not losing a year in eligibility. These are my two cents. I can't wait for the spring practices. I think that will really tell the tale of how bare the cubburd is or how good our stable of qbs really are.
very good post. I have posted a few times about the importance of keeping Hickey on the right side and charlie allows that to happen. I have watched all of our qbs throw and without a doubt charlie throws a great ball. His delievery is slow which is a problem but his height created good passing lanes and his deep ball is very solid. Hunt is the one guy who can beat him out. I think we are in good shape with three solid qbs including kinder going into the spring and who knows about ab with a new staff coming in he might just be the dark horse in all of this. Wilson is important as you always want a qb in each class. All in all i think we are in good shape and that charlie wins the job