Let’s just accept the fact our program wants to win games in the 50s or 60s | Syracusefan.com

Let’s just accept the fact our program wants to win games in the 50s or 60s

Alsacs

Living Legend
It’s the truth.
We don’t push the pace unless we are down double digits.
We want teams to take a lot of time on offense and reduce possessions.
We haven’t changed the offensive philosophy in over a decade.
Our ideal ballgame is a 60-57 grinder.
All it takes to slow the Syracuse offense is too have a decent on ball defending guard and have your bigs give effort and help on penetration.
Andrew White made our offense look good last year because he made tough shots.
So did CJ Fair before him.
We all agree a good point guard will help us on offense but honestly for our offense to be better we need a SF who can make contested shots.

Our best player was 3 for 18.

When he has nights like that we’re scoring in the 50s.

When he has his normal night we’re scoring in the 70s.

And our defense is really good. They’re playing down a man too. It’s basically a 6.5 man rotation.

Our best player had one awful game.

It happens.

Breathe.
Yeah I am totally reacting to one game.
Good post to get cheap likes.
We haven’t had a bad offense for one game. I gave credit after the Buffalo game. Our offense has been bad for awhile.
It happens.
Breathe.

Our best player was 3 for 18.

When he has nights like that we’re scoring in the 50s.

When he has his normal night we’re scoring in the 70s.

And our defense is really good. They’re playing down a man too. It’s basically a 6.5 man rotation.
Again this isn’t one game.
Good job ignoring the point of the post to make it about one game.
Do you think we have won more games the last 5 years against decent competition scoring in the 50/60s or 70/80s?

It's been said more than once that we have three players who are the primary scorers. When one of them is down, someone else has to pick it back up. That didn't happen with this game.

I going to stay this here so people can get my point.
I am not talking about this year.
This entire year is a pass.
I am not going to be upset with this season barring a major scandal which isn’t happening or we go 3-15 in ACC which isn’t happening either.
My point was our style of play is like Virginia or Wisconsin which we have mocked.
We want a low possession low scoring game.
Even when we have had more talented teams recently. Since Scoop left we have stopped running completely and have milked the shot clock in the half court and reduced possessions unless we are down to get a lower scouting game.
This isn’t about yesterday. We had a bad game it’s fine.
My point is we want low scoring games by how we have been playing these last 5 years.

Again this isn’t one game.
Good job ignoring the point of the post to make it about one game.
Do you think we have won more games the last 5 years against decent competition scoring in the 50/60s or 70/80s?

You said we're content scoring in the 50s or 60s. We've scored less than 70 one time this year and it was the one game where our best offensive player missed 8 three's, 15 shots overall.

What Boeheim wants to do this year is score more points than the other team. That's it. It's a severely undermanned team.

People want us to run more. We have 6.5 players right now. We have to press if we get behind on a bad shooting night. So we should also run on offense?

Last year we had 5 losses at this point. Couple of them were really bad losses to non NCAA teams. I had little reason to expect anything better this year. Yet we're one jobbed call on a bad shooting night from 1 loss. We can debate how bad last night was for the resume.

You said we're content scoring in the 50s or 60s. We've scored less than 70 one time this year and it was the one game where our best offensive player missed 8 three's, 15 shots overall.

What Boeheim wants to do this year is score more points than the other team. That's it. It's a severely undermanned team.

People want us to run more. We have 6.5 players right now. We have to press if we get behind on a bad shooting night. So we should also run on offense?

Last year we had 5 losses at this point. Couple of them were really bad losses to non NCAA teams. I had little reason to expect anything better this year. Yet we're one jobbed call on a bad shooting night from 1 loss. We can debate how bad last night was for the resume.
JB plays 7.5 when he has a full roster and he ran with those teams.
So having one less means he can’t run?
Why run when your down when you could run and not be forced to run when your down double digits.
I mean I am not even talking about last night.
Our offense has not changed if we don’t run. It’s all ISO ball.
If you can’t see the problem with that fine.
Again I have said this many times we had a team with MCW/Triche/Fair/Southerland/Rakthat struggled to score 60PPG against decent teams in this system.
JB is a defensive genius we need to change the offensive identity.
This isn’t about one game.

Why run when your down when you could run and not be forced to run when your down double digits.
Again I have said this many times we had a team with MCW/Triche/Fair/Southerland/Rakthat struggled to score 60PPG against decent teams in this system.

I think he's smart enough to know that if that was the answer, he'd do it. Some of you guys disagree, that's fine. It's why we have forums.

That's fine that you think it's not about one game, but when you post a title like that after the one game where we scored in the 50s all year, people are probably going to tell you not to worry about one game.

We hear your story. We understand your position. Why do you feel you need to be so repetitive?

I think he's smart enough to know that if that was the answer, he'd do it. Some of you guys disagree, that's fine. It's why we have forums.

That's fine that you think it's not about one game, but when you post a title like that after the one game where we scored in the 50s all year, people are probably going to tell you not to worry about one game.
I posted it because are a low possession/pace team.
We shot the ball about as well as we could against Maryland and the second half of Georgetown games.
Those games make our offense look better than it is.
We are going to win games on defense in ACC play.
That means 50/60s games.

Again it’s okay to be frustrated we run an ISO offense with a kid who isn’t a true PG and constantly have a big PC who sets picks and isn’t a threat to shoot which causes his guy to double our guard.

I posted this plenty of times when we scored points against crap teams.
If you watch on us on offense it’s awful basketball. No ball movement and tons of contested shots that sometimes go in.

I posted it because are a low possession/pace team.
We shot the ball about as well as we could against Maryland and the second half of Georgetown games.
Those games make our offense look better than it is.
We are going to win games on defense in ACC play.
That means 50/60s games.

Again it’s okay to be frustrated we run an ISO offense with a kid who isn’t a true PG and constantly have a big PC who sets picks and isn’t a threat to shoot which causes his guy to double our guard.

I posted this plenty of times when we scored points against crap teams.
If you watch on us on offense it’s awful basketball. No ball movement and tons of contested shots that sometimes go in.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you say on this subject but why do people keep saying Frank Howard is not a "true" point guard. What exactly does that mean? He has always been a pass first guy. Would never call him a shooting guard. Whether or not you like him as a player doesn't matter. I never would think of him as anything but a point guard.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say on this subject but why do people keep saying Frank Howard is not a "true" point guard. What exactly does that mean? He has always been a pass first guy. Would never call him a shooting guard. Whether or not you like him as a player doesn't matter. I never would think of him as anything but a point guard.
Good dribbling, passing, take care of the ball.
Frank Howard has done a tremendous job this year. He has shut a lot of doubters myself included.
He is a combo guard a la Eric Devendorf or in the NBA Marcus Smart.
They aren’t natural facilitators of an offense but can create for others.
Nothing wrong with Frank not being a true PG he is playing well overall and why the team is functioning.

Brissette is our best player and until we realize that we are going to depend on streaky shooting.
Nah. Maybe by season's end he's our best player but right now Tyus (even w his last two subpar games) is this team's best player. I'd possibly be ok w calling Brissett 1B

Yeah I am totally reacting to one game.
Good post to get cheap likes.
We haven’t had a bad offense for one game. I gave credit after the Buffalo game. Our offense has been bad for awhile.
It happens.
Breathe.
Come on man you're better than this. No need to lash out. When I'm fishing for cheap likes I post animated gifs.

When the team has multiple good offensive players they have a good offense. Last year they had the 22nd best offensive efficiency among Power 6 conference schools. And they still stunk.

I think it's amazing that they're 10-2 right now considering the roster. That's a credit to the coaches and the heart of the players. This team has to win by playing good defense, crashing the boards, and hoping Battle and Brissett don't combine for 7 of 31 from the floor and 10% from 3 point range.

Our offense has been dreadful since Fair and Grant left.

No one wants to accept it but its true

Little concerned about Battle overall producing against better teams. He’s shot below 35% in 4 of our last 8 games and is 16 for his last 49.

that offense w Ennis (or w MCW before him) was no better than this year's - just arguably a couple of better players on each of those teams that allowed them to pull out wins

Agreed that team wasn’t great offensively. We had a couple of good games early in the year and against Duke. Once Cooney went into the tank we were done.

Yeah, I’m thinking more and more that it is by design that we don’t push it due to be undermanned and so thin. That would also contradict JB’s take how these guys can all play 40 MPG these days no worries.

Throw that in with PG’s like Ennis who wouldn’t push it even if you lit a flame under his ass and Frank Howard who plods, over-dribbles without a purpose, and doesn’t change speeds/direction well; then you get some of this god awful offense and slow pace. I just think we could potentially get better and more open shots pushing it VS a scrambling defense. I’m going to quit while I’m ahead and not belabor the high pick’n roll and lack of other movement/down screening and such. It seems like we cannot generate any easy baskets against anybody decent. Every possession seems like a struggle with this frantic dribbling/hot potato and all this rinse’n repeat high PNR. I don’t know. Something has to change and it isn’t all just making shots. It’s how you are getting some of the shots. I could count only on my hand the number of clean or good looks yesterday. We took a big hit to our Offensive Efficiency numbers after last night and we continue to play defense very well and generally rebound well certainly for Syracuse standards.

I’m definitely glad where we are in terms of record. I thought we would have more losses for sure but I’m not sure how good this schedule and these teams actually are. I’m sure that in ACC play teams will use the same strategy of hounding Frank (he literally could not shake loose from any defender(s) 2H), doubling/face guarding Battle, and banging our inside guys around. Maybe we are simply lucky and it’s a testament to the coaches the fact that the team has this good of a record right now because there truly seems to be a lot of flawed parts. Oh well. Happy Holidays everyone!

NCAA Basketball Stats - NCAA BB Team Offensive Efficiency on TeamRankings.com

Yeah, I’m thinking more and more that it is by design that we don’t push it due to be undermanned and so thin. That would also contradict JB’s take how these guys can all play 40 MPG these days no worries.

Throw that in with PG’s like Ennis who wouldn’t push it even if you lit a flame under his ass and Frank Howard who plods, over-dribbles without a purpose, and doesn’t change speeds/direction well; then you get some of this god awful offense and slow pace. I just think we could potentially get better and more open shots pushing it VS a scrambling defense. I’m going to quit while I’m ahead and not belabor the high pick’n roll and lack of other movement/down screening and such. It seems like we cannot generate any easy baskets against anybody decent. Every possession seems like a struggle with this frantic dribbling/hot potato and all this rinse’n repeat high PNR. I don’t know. Something has to change and it isn’t all just making shots. It’s how you are getting some of the shots. I could count only on my hand the number of clean or good looks yesterday. We took a big hit to our Offensive Efficiency numbers after last night and we continue to play defense very well and generally rebound well certainly for Syracuse standards.

I’m definitely glad where we are in terms of record. I thought we would have more losses for sure but I’m not sure how good this schedule and these teams actually are. I’m sure that in ACC play teams will use the same strategy of hounding Frank (he literally good not shake loose from any defender(s) 2H), doubling/face guarding Battle, and banging our inside guys around. Maybe we are simply lucky and it’s a testament to the coaches the fact that the team has this good of a record right now because there truly seems to be a lot of flawed parts. Oh well. Happy Holidays everyone!

NCAA Basketball Stats - NCAA BB Team Offensive Efficiency on TeamRankings.com

Remember how many open 3’s Rautins and Devendorf would get in transition? I just miss it. We’re a hard, hard watch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom