Let’s just accept the fact our program wants to win games in the 50s or 60s | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let’s just accept the fact our program wants to win games in the 50s or 60s

I think that will change next year. Bazley and Carey are dynamic scorers; senior Frank; hopefully sophomore O'Shae; healthy Sidibe; Buddy; Hughes

Obviously aqssuming Battle is gone

I think that will change next year. Bazley and Carey are dynamic scorers; senior Frank; hopefully sophomore O'Shae; healthy Sidibe; Buddy; Hughes

Obviously aqssuming Battle is gone

We’ll have to live with it as long as Frank is the PG. I’m not trying to bash him because he has improved a lot especially mentally, but, he’s slow, with a loose handle, and plays with no pace. JB will most likely keep him the starter. But, I can see the offense drastically changing and improving once Carey checks into the game at PG or whenever he handles the ball. This kid plays downhill and and won’t be plodding around.

Last edited:
Still not seeing this Brissett to the pros thing. He’s a good young player but he’s pretty limited at this point.

Not even sold on Battle. Why is this such a foregone conclusion? He’s got some good off the dribble shots, no question. He’s not really that athletic for the next level, not a great 3 point shooter, not really a good passer or playmaker. Kinda like Moten. A legit 20 ppg college guy, not sure how he translates to the pros yet though. I previously thought he was more explosive athletically than I think he actually is.

Still not seeing this Brissett to the pros thing. He’s a good young player but he’s pretty limited at this point.

Not even sold on Battle. Why is this such a foregone conclusion? He’s got some good off the dribble shots, no question. He’s not really that athletic for the next level, not a great 3 point shooter, not really a good passer or playmaker. Kinda like Moten. A legit 20 ppg college guy, not sure how he translates to the pros yet though. I previously thought he was more explosive athletically than I think he actually is.

I see Brissett more in the NBA than Battle.

that offense w Ennis (or w MCW before him) was no better than this year's - just arguably a couple of better players on each of those teams that allowed them to pull out wins
Agreed. Let me correct myself, we havent functioned well since that team

Why is this lazy narrative so popular? Last year we played NBA-style small ball and scored plenty by spreading the floor and making a lot of 3s. Defense was the problem. This year we’ve scored less than 70 2 out of 12 times.

There’s an obvious reason we struggle to score at times, and it’s because we have young players in our rotation that aren’t ready to contribute offensively. This problem is hardly unique to SU.

If someone wants to argue we don’t try to score enough in transition I’ll listen, but our scoring output has been fine.

Why is this lazy narrative so popular? Last year we played NBA-style small ball and scored plenty by spreading the floor and making a lot of 3s. Defense was the problem. This year we’ve scored less than 70 2 out of 12 times.

There’s an obvious reason we struggle to score at times, and it’s because we have young players in our rotation that aren’t ready to contribute offensively. This problem is hardly unique to SU.

If someone wants to argue we don’t try to score enough in transition I’ll listen, but our scoring output has been fine.
Last year we played the same way but had good shooters(Gillon and White) who made a lot of contested shots.
The problem was we had no length and thus the zone was exposed.
Andrew White III bailed out us making crazy ISO shots.
That doesn’t mean our offensive system doesn’t need tweeking.

Last year our offense wasn’t good. It just had guys who fit that ISO brand of basketball we run.

Youth isn’t why our offense struggles.
We take a lot of bad shots. We don’t have motion on offense it’s all 1 on 1.
We little post game and thus everything falls on guards to make plays.

Last year our offense wasn’t good. It just had guys who fit that ISO brand of basketball we run.
ahh so this is all about *style* of offense for you, not effectiveness/productivity

10-2 is nice, but we could easily be 8-4. We were losing to maryland and gtown with a minute left.

The difference, obviously, to last year outside of record is the lack of quit in the team overall and ability to fight back/not get dominated the entire game. That happened too often early on last year. Some insanely bad games.

Even funnier is last year we always had 4 three point shooters on the floor. This year, we can't shoot threes. Talk about a 180.

ahh so this is all about *style* of offense for you, not effectiveness/productivity
If last year was sustainable I wouldn’t mind it.
It’s not sustainable. There aren’t many Andrew White III’s playing college basketball who can make a crazy amount of contested shots.
If we could consistently recruit these type of offensive players I am sure JB could make it work defensively.

Lydon would be the perfect compliment for this team, but he choose to spend the year in the G league. Thompson would help the offense, but he would kill us on defense. I don’t miss him at all.

I going to stay this here so people can get my point.
I am not talking about this year.
This entire year is a pass.
I am not going to be upset with this season barring a major scandal which isn’t happening or we go 3-15 in ACC which isn’t happening either.
My point was our style of play is like Virginia or Wisconsin which we have mocked.
We want a low possession low scoring game.
Even when we have had more talented teams recently. Since Scoop left we have stopped running completely and have milked the shot clock in the half court and reduced possessions unless we are down to get a lower scouting game.
This isn’t about yesterday. We had a bad game it’s fine.
My point is we want low scoring games by how we have been playing these last 5 years.

I stopped at UVa-Wisconsin. We beat Maryland 72-70 on the same night Virginia beat Wisconsin 49-37.

Lydon would be the perfect compliment for this team, but he choose to spend the year in the G league. Thompson would help the offense, but he would kill us on defense. I don’t miss him at all.

I miss Thompson, he's another guy that would take defensive pressure off the guys we have on the court. If you want to open it up more, another threat is helpful.

It’s the truth.
We don’t push the pace unless we are down double digits.
We want teams to take a lot of time on offense and reduce possessions.
We haven’t changed the offensive philosophy in over a decade.
Our ideal ballgame is a 60-57 grinder.
All it takes to slow the Syracuse offense is too have a decent on ball defending guard and have your bigs give effort and help on penetration.
Andrew White made our offense look good last year because he made tough shots.
So did CJ Fair before him.
We all agree a good point guard will help us on offense but honestly for our offense to be better we need a SF who can make contested shots.
It's not going to change with the current coaching staff. The only way we get a more dynamic offense is if another Carmelo Anthony comes in and we can just give him the ball and he scores on any defender or gets fouled. Like 2003.

If Brissett keeps putting up double-doubles in ACC games he will get a lot of attention and be gone.

I am not going to be upset with this season barring a major scandal which isn’t happening or we go 3-15 in ACC which isn’t happening either.
My point was our style of play is like Virginia or Wisconsin which we have mocked.
Even when we have had more talented teams recently. Since Scoop left we have stopped running completely and have milked the shot clock in the half court and reduced possessions unless we are down to get a lower scouting game.
My point is we want low scoring games by how we have been playing these last 5 years.
I do think a lot Has been based on personal. Next year should be different

It's not going to change with the current coaching staff. The only way we get a more dynamic offense is if another Carmelo Anthony comes in and we can just give him the ball and he scores on any defender or gets fouled. Like 2003.
There is this guy named Darius Bazely I would love you to meet

As a fan who grew up watching the cuse in the late 80s, early 90s it is hard to belive this is the same coach. It is so painful to watch our offense now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom