Let me state the obvious | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let me state the obvious

I like him.

I am disappointed in his shooting, but I am confident that he will develope.

Yeah, I'm disappointed in his shooting and often times his passing up shots.

College basketball is all about compromises. None of the players on any team play mistake free ball - like golf, there's going to be some bogies. It's about limiting the negatives and amplifying the positives. I think that's where advanced statistics come into play. It's about tracking actual production from perceived production. I'm glad we've gotten away from the JAB 5.5 player rotation and Red works the bench into the game, but it needs to be more focused on getting favorable mismatches and attacking weaknesses.

Why do you want Taylor shooting? He's been TERRIBLE all year against any decent competition. His shot is ugly, his footwork is brutal and he can't create for himself, leading to forces.

In 9 games against major conference teams, he's 8-47 from the field and 6-30 from 3. He can't play this many minutes at this level.
other than that...how'd you like the play Mrs. Lincoln??:confused:

Copeland needs to be the ballhandler, or point guard. Judah needs to play off the ball. The offense is better, because players know Copeland will find them.
I get your feelings on this, but I don’t think Red will make this move.

Copeland should start at one of the forward spots. Been mentioned in a few different threads but I think we need to split Bell and Taylor up. I’d start Bell and Copeland. Hope Bell sees one go down early like yesterday and have Taylor come in off the bench with Benny.

Taylor needs to see the bench a lot more. Total bricklayer. Defense and rebounding only small upside. Rather see his minutes go to others.
yeah i mean I am not a fan of taylor as a starter for this team

however, i have noticed it seems like the opponents tend to make their runs when benny is in for taylor...happened at duke and now vs BC, as well

something happened to taylor's form...its like his only goal is to get as much arc on his shots as possible...instead of just trying to make the shot...his release got a lot uglier lately, imo

overall, somehow the team plays better defense with taylor in there...benny and bell are more liable to lose their man imo

even though i dont like taylor getting a lot of minutes...when defense is necessary I think he is a decent option and i get it why red puts him in.

Maliq and Quadir should never come off the floor. This team has much more energy out of the gate with Q starting. I myself said we shouldn’t change our starters but I think I was wrong. I would bring JJ off the bench from here on out.

Can't play 40. Q was lead guard when things got tight, that says everything you need to know about where Q and Judah fall in terms of trust as lead guard when it's close.

Judah needs to get his stuff together. End of story. Red put his butt in the corner at the end of the game last night when Q was taking over like he was a spot up three point shooter.

We need Judah's talent, but he looks like he starting to press even more and looks like he's making choices based on what the NBA may want. And it isn't working.

Maliq is functionally our best player on the floor. Not close anymore.

I dunno what the exact right answer is, but Maliq has to start and Red has to make a decision on Q and when and where to use him. But it has to be consistently heavier.

Can't play 40. Q was lead guard when things got tight, that says everything you need to know about where Q and Judah fall in terms of trust as lead guard when it's close.

Judah needs to get his stuff together. End of story. Red put his butt in the corner at the end of the game last night when Q was taking over like he was a spot up three point shooter.

We need Judah's talent, but he looks like he starting to press even more and looks like he's making choices based on what the NBA may want. And it isn't working.

Maliq is functionally our best player on the floor. Not close anymore.

I dunno what the exact right answer is, but Maliq has to start and Red has to make a decision on Q and when and where to use him. But it has to be consistently heavier.
Regardless of what Judah does or doesn't do, I'd like more Q and Maliq two man game plays as Q actually looks to dish to the shooters.

thats what happened down the stretch vs BC...and why they won
Quadir is the best PG on this team

if Q can play without turnovers, he becomes elite, imo
He had none last night, though there were a few close calls. I would like to see him shoot more. He only took six shots yesterday.

He had none last night, though there were a few close calls. I would like to see him shoot more. He only took six shots yesterday.
im good with him not shooting

bell, jj, taylor, judah etc need more shots as it is

I don't know if it was point-hunting vs him doing a "Hey, I got this, guys" when clearly he did not "got this" if not for a kind whistle once.

yeah that whistle saved his arse cause it should've been a no call.

Taylor scored 7 points, 7 rebounds and played D. We need his rebounding and d, he contributed more than a few others.
It is surprising how well Taylor and Q defensively rebound. Now if we could only get them to offensively reb.

I don't know if it was point-hunting vs him doing a "Hey, I got this, guys" when clearly he did not "got this" if not for a kind whistle once.
Not sure if you are referencing the foul from Post that fouled him out of the game, but I do not think that one was a kind whistle. He had his arm firmly on Judah's as he began his shooting motion. He was doing dumb stuff like that all game. Also I think Mintz exploiting the mismatch with a 7 footer on that play was not a bad option.

It is surprising how well Taylor and Q defensively rebound. Now if we could only get them to offensively reb.

He does what needs to be done and doesn't screw up. I wish he would find his shot.
Edit-- Taylor

Last edited:
We need all forwards to follow the shot to the basket. If i watch Taylor, Bell, and Williams not follow their shot im gonna hang myself lol. I think Mintz tried to man up the fast guy at end of game and got beat 2x for easy layups and that cant happen. Starling has 5 star talent with 2 star aggressiveness both offensively and defensively. If he isnt hitting then he needs to work really hard on defense cause he has the speed for it. Taylor i like but lf he isnt hitting shots then he isnt as useful. Not a good passer or ballhandler and has hard time creating his own shots. Bell is getting better with his defense. Cope is becoming a stud. He still needs some offensive work and if he can hit some close pullups they will have to respect that and open up his drives all though he seems fine in that aspect. Really good defender and very handsy. My man Brown just has a knack for being everywhere at the same time. Awesome defender and amazing at stealing the ball. He is the only one that always looks for copes passes. Great duo they are. The thing i keep reminding myself is how god dang Young we really are. Top 8 guys are all sophmores. If we could find a center next year we could be scary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom