Let me state the obvious | Syracusefan.com

Let me state the obvious

Dcuse

All Conference
Maliq and Quadir should never come off the floor. This team has much more energy out of the gate with Q starting. I myself said we shouldn’t change our starters but I think I was wrong. I would bring JJ off the bench from here on out.

Maliq and Quadir should never come off the floor. This team has much more energy out of the gate with Q starting. I myself said we shouldn’t change our starters but I think I was wrong. I would bring JJ off the bench from here on out.
Maybe a point forward position for Q. Slide JT to the bench. We would be small. Maybe coming off the bench would give JT a chance to reset and find his stroke. Starling needs to start playing like a McD AA. Needs to be aggressive.

I’ll state the obvious: Our movement and shot selection was significantly better the first nine minutes of the game.

Speaking of Judah Mintz - and this might not be as obvious - he almost cost us the game with his point-hunting down the stretch.

Maliq can't go 40 physically. This isn't the zone years.

I’ll state the obvious: Our movement and shot selection was significantly better the first nine minutes of the game.

Speaking of Judah Mintz - and this might not be as obvious - he almost cost us the game with his point-hunting down the stretch.
I don't know if it was point-hunting vs him doing a "Hey, I got this, guys" when clearly he did not "got this" if not for a kind whistle once.

Maliq can't go 40 physically. This isn't the zone years.
Hima has to give us 8-10 non-disastrous minutes each night.

The effort level that Maliq gives us (that we desperately need) just isn't possible for more than 28-30 minutes. And that will really be pushing it once he's banging with ACC bigs at a level and frequency that he isn't used to or built for, yet. We need Hima to be mostly competent.

Last edited:
Hima has to give us 8-10 non-disastrous minutes each night.

The effort level that he gives us (that we desperately need) just isn't possible for more than 28-30 minutes. And that will really be pushing it once he's banging with ACC bigs at a level and frequency that he isn't used to or built for, yet. We need Hima to be mostly competent.
Yep. Its the only option IMO. Have him stand somewhere out of the way on offense, don't run that hideous high screen with him, and tell him to crash the boards. get back and be tall on D. If we have to play zone for 5 mins here and there to funnel down to him to block shots. Go for it.

I thought this was going to say Justin Taylor lays bricks
He has a future in home building for sure. His misses don’t have that “soft” bounce off the rim. They are straight up bangers. Top of the chart bangers.

Taylor needs to see the bench a lot more. Total bricklayer. Defense and rebounding only small upside. Rather see his minutes go to others.
Like who though? Benny last night? Q was already taking minutes from the guards. Sometimes we need one of Bell, Taylor, Benny on the floor because you need 5 players on the court. Last night Bell was obvious, then Taylor.

I actually came away from the game thinking Taylor took a step forward. He didn't make many, but he shot it. He hadn't been shooting before. His defense and rebounding are consistent. That's more than you can say about Benny.

I'm also a big fan of Q over Mintz as lead ballhandler, but realize that's not going to happen.

Starling once again looked lost and was a complete non factor.

There is something about Q.

I love to watch him play.

He is the most creative SU basketball player I have seen in many, many years.

Last edited:
I actually came away from the game thinking Taylor took a step forward. He didn't make many, but he shot it. He hadn't been shooting before. His defense and rebounding are consistent. That's more than you can say about Benny.

I'm also a big fan of Q over Mintz as lead ballhandler, but realize that's not going to happen.

Starling once again looked lost and was a complete non factor.
Why do you want Taylor shooting? He's been TERRIBLE all year against any decent competition. His shot is ugly, his footwork is brutal and he can't create for himself, leading to forces.

In 9 games against major conference teams, he's 8-47 from the field and 6-30 from 3. He can't play this many minutes at this level.

Agree.
Justin actually shot the ball when Q was in and team D was awesome during the first 9 minutes.
Also, Judah seemed lost on D towards the end of the game.
I wouldn't mind seeing the same starting lineup as last night again.

Why do you want Taylor shooting? He's been TERRIBLE all year against any decent competition. His shot is ugly, his footwork is brutal and he can't create for himself, leading to forces.

In 9 games against major conference teams, he's 8-47 from the field and 6-30 from 3. He can't play this many minutes at this level.
I’m not sold he won’t improve. And there’s things he does that help us win otherwise. Someone has to play. We have 2-3 good players on most nights. JJ and Benny gave us even less last night.

I think Taylor off the bench, JJ is a string defender. He does a lot of little thinks well they are just not box score thinks. Taylor is a good rebounder for his size, a very good rebounder actually but he does need to rediscover his confidence on his jump shot. If Bacot plays Saturday I don't know how we will not get crushed on the glass. Benny will need to be awesome for us to win that game.

Taylor scored 7 points, 7 rebounds and played D. We need his rebounding and d, he contributed more than a few others.
JT just needs to find more ways to score besides that jumper he takes. If Grady from Sanford and Son was a basketball player, his jump shot would look like JT's. Bell has improved a lot offensively in some games because he's not afraid to take it inside. Taylor can also do it but he needs something besides that twirling turnaround ten footer. Taylor is ok as long as he doesn't disappear.

Taylor gets minutes because he gives more consistent effort in the grunt stuff (D and boards even if he gets played over a lot on both counts). I have 2 big concerns moving forward- we play Taylor he gets rebounds but we get killed on the glass and in the low post. Benny needs to help there and I don't think it's in his makeup, but we need his size.

I also don't understand why teams with decent guards like BC don't iso Judah to death. The BC kid ( I think he was 00) blew by him on back to back possessions, and they could have attacked that all night. Judah (and JJ) are not stellar on ball defenders and other than UVA I can't remember anyone exploiting it.

UNC is going to be rough - their guards will blow by ours and their bigs will dominate.

I think Taylor off the bench, JJ is a string defender. He does a lot of little thinks well they are just not box score thinks. Taylor is a good rebounder for his size, a very good rebounder actually but he does need to rediscover his confidence on his jump shot. If Bacot plays Saturday I don't know how we will not get crushed on the glass. Benny will need to be awesome for us to win that game.
Is he a good defender? He seems to get torched all he time. That dude in the headband drove right by him last night. He also seems to get trapped in the wrong position on screens all the time. Maybe I am just not seeing his strong defensive plays.

Edit - talking about JJ in this post not Taylor - also assumed string was typo for strong.

Taylor gets minutes because he gives more consistent effort in the grunt stuff (D and boards even if he gets played over a lot on both counts). I have 2 big concerns moving forward- we play Taylor he gets rebounds but we get killed on the glass and in the low post. Benny needs to help there and I don't think it's in his makeup, but we need his size.

I also don't understand why teams with decent guards like BC don't iso Judah to death. The BC kid ( I think he was 00) blew by him on back to back possessions, and they could have attacked that all night. Judah (and JJ) are not stellar on ball defenders and other than UVA I can't remember anyone exploiting it.

UNC is going to be rough - their guards will blow by ours and their bigs will dominate.
It's going to have to be a big Copeland game with him guarding RJ Davis, because Judah and JJ don't have a chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom