Lets hope the top 3 all lose | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lets hope the top 3 all lose

Can't believe people are joking about this as if it was jaywalking. He committed a crime. I know a lot of intelligent fans I spoke with at the Dome were sure he would sit tonight and were surprised, and even disappointed, that we turned a blind eye to a theft. No example was set, no point made, no statement made. Disturbing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

You act surprised. This is JB we're talking about. He wants to win.

First off, I can understand your point of view, and to a large degree it makes sense. Most of us will never know the players personally, and what they do or don't do in their personal lives does not affect us. In that regard I am inclined to cheer for them regardless of their off court behavior.

The difference is that as a parent I would want to be more than that to my son... and in a way a coach serves as parent or authority figure for athletes while they are away from home. What kind of people these athletes grow up to be will likely have little effect on our lives, but I hope that it has a much larger effect on the lives of the coaching staff. Idealistically, I hope that JB, Hop et. al care enough about what the players will become after their playing days are done, and try to mold them and promote the type of behavior that they would want their own children to exhibit. We all, want to win games, but if that is all we focus on as a program I would consider it a little selfish. I want us to win games, but I want the players that come through to become better athletes and better people in the process. Realistically in 10-15 years most of the players on the current squad will have concluded their basketball careers. At that point they would probably have another 40+ years left to live as normal members of society apart from the game of basketball. I hope that part of the focus of the program is to prepare the players for life with basketball and life without basketball.

With that being said, I really don’t know enough about the situation to know if JB’s punishment of lack thereof was the correct response of not. I simply hope that our program will focus on making the decisions that will truly benefit and equip the players to make the correct decisions in the long run.
I respect what you're saying even if I disagree.

As soon as JB starts caring about how I discipline my children, I'll worry about how he disciplines his players. Whether I spank my kids or give them a timeout, JB's not going to care. The same holds true in reverse.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Why does every thread turn into a MCW debate?

I'm hoping SU moves on up in the polls.

WAS HE CHARGED? WAS HE? No charge... no crime. Deal with it... its the American way. I find your level of contempt on things you know nothing about disturbing
Don't know that I agree with that. The act was still performed and the intent was clear. Lack of a charge does not erase unethical behavior.

He's gonna be in the nba next year no matter what, suspending him for a game or 2 ain't gonna make any difference.

I don't know -- you look at how many of these NBA dudes burn through their money and it's pretty clear that many aren't really ever told anything other than "it's all good, bro. Don't listen to the haters." I kinda see this as an opportunity for JB to do MCW a favor PR wise and, perhaps, in the process point out just how stupid an act this was. Note: I am not saying I haven't done similarly stupid acts nor am I calling MCW stupid in any way, shape, or form. Merely suggesting that a game or two on the sidelines *might* help drive home the fact that when you're going to be counting your money in millions in 7 months or so, it's probably best not to be stealing a bathrobe from L&T. You are probably right and it wouldn't make a huge difference, but I'd feel like JB was looking out for his player's best interests, long-term, by at least trying not to do what probably everyone else around MCW is doing and saying, "What? Misunderstanding? Sure, that makes sense. Let's go beat Detroit!!"

Why does every thread turn into a MCW debate?

I'm hoping SU moves on up in the polls.

This was unquestionably my fault, though to be fair I was just trying to make a joke about judgment day.

I don't know -- you look at how many of these NBA dudes burn through their money and it's pretty clear that many aren't really ever told anything other than "it's all good, bro. Don't listen to the haters." I kinda see this as an opportunity for JB to do MCW a favor PR wise and, perhaps, in the process point out just how stupid an act this was. Note: I am not saying I haven't done similarly stupid acts nor am I calling MCW stupid in any way, shape, or form. Merely suggesting that a game or two on the sidelines *might* help drive home the fact that when you're going to be counting your money in millions in 7 months or so, it's probably best not to be stealing a bathrobe from L&T. You are probably right and it wouldn't make a huge difference, but I'd feel like JB was looking out for his player's best interests, long-term, by at least trying not to do what probably everyone else around MCW is doing and saying, "What? Misunderstanding? Sure, that makes sense. Let's go beat Detroit!!"
You think it *might* help MCW.

But what about the very real downside. JB would be drawing attention to a poor decision by MCW. By doing any type of suspension it would become a topic at nearly every discussion of MCW's accomplishments down the line. From AA honors to draft postion talk, discussing a suspension is fair game.

Is JB really looking out for the kids best interests by escalating this? Hell no. In March, if people remember, they will bring up potential uncharged criminal conduct, not suspensions.

So while you *might* help him in some way, you would definitely hurt him. It seems to me that most people who claim they would like to see MCW suspended for his benefit are being disingenious. They want him suspended because they are upset about the tarnishment to the image of something they like and they want MCW punished.

You think it *might* help MCW.

But what about the very real downside. JB would be drawing attention to a poor decision by MCW. By doing any type of suspension it would become a topic at nearly every discussion of MCW's accomplishments down the line. From AA honors to draft postion talk, discussing a suspension is fair game.

Is JB really looking out for the kids best interests by escalating this? Hell no. In March, if people remember, they will bring up potential uncharged criminal conduct, not suspensions.

So while you *might* help him in some way, you would definitely hurt him. It seems to me that most people who claim they would like to see MCW suspended for his benefit are being disingenious. They want him suspended because they are upset about the tarnishment to the image of something they like and they want MCW punished.

Could not possibly disagree more. You think this topic won't come up again b/c we didn't suspend him? And if that did happen, you're essentially saying you'd like to see it buried so that he doesn't have to address what he did? And that's good for him long-term -- setting the precedent that trying to hide stuff like this rather than, you know, not doing it or taking accountability for it if you do, is the way to go?

Listen, I think the whole point of this issue is that this infraction isn't that bad. Owning up to it and growing from it -- even if there's only a slight chance that actually happens -- is a good thing, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom