Lets run the ball this year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lets run the ball this year

I know. We were able to run tempo the 1st 3 years. Yards per carry? 85th over that time span. Its good they weren't able to sub. I wonder where our YPC would be without having worn down the defense?

2018 is the outlier. ED lead the team with 184 carries. Moe Neal had 2 800 yards seasons(18,19). Tucker with 600, last year, and everyone else 500 and below.
we have not run with temp since Dino got here.. when tempo has worked its been mostly short passing game.

I dont agree. Teams need an identity. Finesse and Physical typically dont exist on the same team. I want to see us throw some size on the field. Big physical line. Tough QB. Physical WRs. Between the tackles RBs.
I think the mistake is thinking that speed has to equal finesse. Baylor killed teams wirh the run. Babers wants to do that to.

This offense is going to look a lot different as the season progresses with Mike Schmidt running the offensive line. I am very confident the ball is about to move, but not in the same method as in prior years. We are going to punish the middle of a defense and are gonna drink from that well as success and confidence improves
I'll Have What She's Having! - The Village Marketer

I think the mistake is thinking that speed has to equal finesse. Baylor killed teams wirh the run. Babers wants to do that to.
yup and he really wants to be able to mix it up.. imagine a day where 3rd and short doesnt require a trick play.. so many drives last yr died after 6-7-8 yd runs on first down then a simple hand off did nothing and 3rd and short failed. if you can run you can do simple things like sneak on 4th down.

we have not run with temp since Dino got here.. when tempo has worked its been mostly short passing game.
I think that was out of necessity. The offense has yet to be everything DB wanted it to be. Looking at the roster, it looks as close to being ready for that as it has been since DB got here. If the oline can progress like we hope due to health and a personnel change here and there, and if we can find an Ishmael or AET, we'll be closer to the vision than we've been.

I agree.. you want the QB to the compliment runner not the leading runner. You also want the offense to dictate the play calls not respond to the D. We havent really had even just a decent oline for any real stretch. would like to get just to avg before we decide how this style can work for us.

Tommy needs to make much quicker reads and to feel the pressure. Im pulling for him but expect Shrader to start by the 5th game
Shredder has to get a waiver first

Shredder has to get a waiver first
wont need a waiver if the NCAA does as expected, but he should be able to get one considering the yr and that he only played a handful of plays last yr.

Agreed. The other mistake being made in this thread is not fully understanding what DB is trying to accomplish. He is trying to force teams to have to defend the width and depth of the field. DB, similar to Baylor, is hoping to punish teams with the inside power zone whenever they play with a light box, and then attack the outside with bubble screens and quick slants when they load the box. The vertical routes will be a counter to the safties coming down and/or 1:1 match ups (no safety help).

It's both a speed/finesse/tempo and power concept. The obvious problem has been the inability to run the power run game even against a 5 man box.

Bnoro or anyone with inside info - any latest news on Willie Tyler status?

I think a player can be either more finesse or more physical (or, both), but I don't think you can have an identity as finesse only. Physicality is part of football, and it is anchored in the line play. Run first, or pass first, it has to be there. I would rather our identity lie in being unpredictable, or flexible. Harder to game-plan against that.
But to your point of having more of a running identity, I think we will run the ball better for various reasons. But what will make it really click is the ability to throw the ball as well. I'd love to see us run for 2-250 yds/g and throw for 2-250 yds/g on average. But that means some games it's 300-350/100-150 in favor of whatever is working better that day. (I know, I might be dreaming with some of those total yards numbers...).
With Shrader coming in and hopefully starts we will have the opportunity to either run or pass especially if our OLINE does its job and blocks for the backs.

Shrader, looking at his tape, has all the essentials and IMHO a fairly high football IQ and is as close to Eric Dungey's abilities to run with the ball as well as throw or throw even better.

I am optimistic that we will see a better team and season as with players staying healthy..

Almost the entire operation depends on the play of the OLINE. They have to block or we're back in the 2020 again and that sucks. Coaching has to be excellent to motivate and have a winning season.

Adams and Howard are returning? I missed that...thats huge...like Billy Fuccillo huge...no...like Josh Hough huuuuge.
Tucker, Adams, Howard, are big physical backs. We havnt had a running back room like this in over 10 years. Assuming the offensive line stays healthy and is coached up which they will be i hope that we pound the ball. I dont care about playing fast. I dont want lineman that are measured by how fast they can run to line of scrimmage between plays. I want to see guys maul the other team. Want to see the physicality back. No more gimmick crap just hard nosed ball.

Unless Tommy's arm falls off, he's going to be the starter...with a very short leash.

Tucker, Adams, Howard, are big physical backs. We havnt had a running back room like this in over 10 years. Assuming the offensive line stays healthy and is coached up which they will be i hope that we pound the ball. I dont care about playing fast. I dont want lineman that are measured by how fast they can run to line of scrimmage between plays. I want to see guys maul the other team. Want to see the physicality back. No more gimmick crap just hard nosed ball.
Run when the numbers on defense tell you to run

I don't think they need change attitude, they just need to not utterly fail in what should be favorable run blocking situations

you mean 7 on 5 we should be able to gain 2 yds sometimes?
Yeah. It's less interesting to talk about than systems and philosophies but last year was a big waste of time with that offensive line, nothing else mattered. I'm not saying it's correct to be this flippant but when I saw elmore converted to a starting lineman, my immediate reaction was ffs wake me up next year

Yeah. It's less interesting to talk about than systems and philosophies but last year was a big waste of time with that offensive line, nothing else mattered. I'm not saying it's correct to be this flippant but when I saw elmore converted to a starting lineman, my immediate reaction was ffs wake me up next year
when you run a spread and sneak it, it should be pretty much unstoppable. just need 1 guy to win his block, you dont expect all 5 to lose consistently.

OP: let’s throw away all the stuff we’d been working on to do a thing we haven’t recruited for

I think we’ll run about the same, and unless our OL implodes due to injuries again, we’ll be more effective. Tempo is more possible if you’re getting 3-4 yards per attempt than 2 or a loss.

The OL has been so screwed up the past two years it’s gotten people off the system. It can work, but needs an average running game and better pass protection.

Bnoro or anyone with inside info - any latest news on Willie Tyler status?

The only insight I can provide is checking out his twitter follows which includes most of the staff (even Kendall Coleman who is grad asst on OL this year) and recently he started following...Dino Babers.

So my only speculation is that he's leaning to Cuse now.

OP: let’s throw away all the stuff we’d been working on to do a thing we haven’t recruited for

I think we’ll run about the same, and unless our OL implodes due to injuries again, we’ll be more effective. Tempo is more possible if you’re getting 3-4 yards per attempt than 2 or a loss.

The OL has been so screwed up the past two years it’s gotten people off the system. It can work, but needs an average running game and better pass protection.
Many are forgeting that Dino is a "run first" coach. He has said as much multiple times. Two things he emphasizes is that winning starts with the ability to run the ball on offense and stop the run on defence

Hell yes! We have a nasty set of backs coming! I heard Adam's n Howard were coming back but I don't see how u can keep Sean tucker off the field but the future it bright! Mr. Pennsylvania hough who I can't enough good things about. Also newly committed kid from jersey looks promising, hoping to keep that pipeline going Just because I hate rutgers and schiano lol

The only insight I can provide is checking out his twitter follows which includes most of the staff (even Kendall Coleman who is grad asst on OL this year) and recently he started following...Dino Babers.

So my only speculation is that he's leaning to Cuse now.
Thx

The funny thing about the calls for a return to "NE Football" and pounding the rock - is that this offense is designed to do that. But it also fits a dome team that should be passing in a controlled environment.

The OL hire and returning guys there should be helpful. Shrader as a mobile guy if the OL is less far along than we hope is a nice insurance policy, worst case scenario. (Those who think Dino is on the brink of getting fired should take note of the moves he's made this offseason. Very self-aware of where we're needing to get things right.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom