Let's stop one myth right now, last possession | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Let's stop one myth right now, last possession

The fact is they executed beautifully and rsn th clock out. End of story period Jeremy Is there anything about this staff that you do like? You complain no matter what.

Ahhhh, no. They did not execute beautifully. They executed poorly. When you are running the clock down, you run the clock down as far as you can go.

I get that most of you hate it ( myself included) when JB takes the air out of the ball and aye possessions, but that was not what happened yesterday. You don't snap the ball with :20 on the play clock when you are trying to run it down.

44cuse

I know this is an Internet message board and we are here to discuss / debate. But these types of arguments seem like such a waste. NO ONE is going to convince Go that Marrone is simply not that good of a coach. So why try? In the end, it seems one side or the other will be proven correct... Or maybe not... People are still arguing about P for Christi's sake.

It's actually not about that. The point is that there is no reason to be snapping the ball with anything more than :05 on the clock when you are trying to run the clock down.

44cuse

It's actually not about that. The point is that there is no reason to be snapping the ball with anything more than :05 on the clock when you are trying to run the clock down.

44cuse
exactly, and for the last play of the game couldn't they have just taken a knee to end it and have the clock run down to 0 and avoid the risk of a fumble?? Right? That's a What

44cuse

And yet If we did go conservative and try to kill the clock the last 5:30, this board would be killing him.

We played the last 5:30 absolutely fine. We stayed with what we did best and it clearly worked. This is no second guess for the record. I was praying we didn't go into a shell and start milking.

This board will always find something.

And while you are here, how about explaining the first series where they got 7 yards and declined an off sides penalty. 2ud and 3 is better than 1st and 5?

Assuming you would punt on 4th down, on 2nd & 3, you have to average 1.5 yards on 2 plays to get a first down. On 1st & 5, you have to average 1.67 yards on 3 plays. So, I'd say that it's at worst equivalent & not worth questioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yet If we did go conservative and try to kill the clock the last 5:30, this board would be killing him.

We played the last 5:30 absolutely fine. We stayed with what we did best and it clearly worked. This is no second guess for the record. I was praying we didn't go into a shell and start milking.

We did go conservative, we ran the ball. The only issue people have is that we didnt run the clock down to 2-3 seconds before snapping like every other football team would do, its basics 101. What advantage are you getting not letting the clock run out, zero. If Pitt had gotten the ball back with a minute plus you would be killing Marrone.

I see where people are coming from when it comes to letting the clock run down but maybe they had a nice rhythm going and letting the clock go down may have offset that. I'm not saying that's the best idea or what happened but within the flow of the game you see/feel things and the momentum had them snapping around that time. On the positive, there where no offsides so maybe this kind of a flow helped that?

But that's my point. You're arguing a specific detail that, if you're right, means our coaches aren't very good at game management. I'm fine with that point. But the never-ending back and forth is the waste. Basically, I was agreeing with Chip... Time to move on.

44cuse

It's not about "what this board will find." I think you know that about me. It's about smart execution. I hate it when JB does it, but it's still the correct decision. Just like Saturday, they didn't get t right.

Just because it worked doesn't mean it's right.

44cuse

How about the fact that they kept their offense in their normal rhythm? Given the results of that drive, I don't know how anyone can be that upset about it? The first couple series of downs they ran their normal pace. It resulted in 2 runs for a 1st down, then 2 runs and a pass for a 1st down. Next series they started with a run and Pitt called a TO with 2:15 left. We then ran another pass play that got us to 3rd and 1 and enter the "TANK". Convert this and you milk every second and never give them the ball back.

What if we took longer during that 1st or 2nd series, but got stuffed in the backfield because the d-line was able to time up their jump better? What if we stayed in our stances too long and someone false-started? I understand the thought that burning that extra :15 secs with 4 mins left sounds good in hindsight, but with as much time was left, you just run your stuff and execute the best way you know how.

My only issue was take a knee or 2 on that last series instead of risking a handoff and carry with a guy who hasn't played all year, but it's hardly anything to get all up-in-arms about.

My only issue was take a knee or 2 on that last series instead of risking a handoff and carry with a guy who hasn't played all year, but it's hardly anything to get all up-in-arms about.[/quote]

its nothing to get all up in arms about because he didn't fumble. But after rewatching the game last night and the last play, the kid did not have the ball tucked away and was holding it way too losely. If the kid fumbles and they do something then we're all up in arms, it's showed all over the country and ridiculed as a program further for another Joe Piscarcik moment and then the seasons effectively over.

This for a common sense no brainer decision to simply take a knee instead of running a play and risking a fumble that neither an experienced coaching staff nor a 5th year sr. Qb could make and figure out. It's often the "little things" that make the difference between winning and losing. We point these things out not to simply belittle the staff or qb but because even though it didn't matter in this game something similar might very well matter in the next game.

My only issue was take a knee or 2 on that last series instead of risking a handoff and carry with a guy who hasn't played all year, but it's hardly anything to get all up-in-arms about.

its nothing to get all up in arms about because he didn't fumble. But after rewatching the game last night and the last play, the kid did not have the ball tucked away and was holding it way too losely. If the kid fumbles and they do something then we're all up in arms, it's showed all over the country and ridiculed as a program further for another Joe Piscarcik moment and then the seasons effectively over.

This for a common sense no brainer decision to simply take a knee instead of running a play and risking a fumble that neither an experienced coaching staff nor a 5th year sr. Qb could make and figure out. It's often the "little things" that make the difference between winning and losing. We point these things out not to simply belittle the staff or qb but because even know it didn't matter in this game something similar might very well matter in the next game.[/quote]

After reading your post, I rewound and watched each run at the end again. Not only did he have the ball secure and tucked, he had 2 hands on the ball as much as he could each and every carry.

ssbriefcase you said, "After reading your post, I rewound and watched each run at the end again. Not only did he have the ball secure and tucked, he had 2 hands on the ball as much as he could each and every carry."

Watch again because you're mistaken. You're right about most of the plays at the end but rewatch that last play and what happened was that he had one hand on the ball as he fell forward with the other hand down toward the ground to soften the fall. If he gets hit square in the moment on the way down the ball could have been jarred loose.

Here's the point regardless of who is right here....why even take the chance on that last play when taking the knee ends the game. Answer me that. No brainer. Simple stuff really.

ssbriefcase you said, "After reading your post, I rewound and watched each run at the end again. Not only did he have the ball secure and tucked, he had 2 hands on the ball as much as he could each and every carry."

Watch again because you're mistaken. You're right about most of the plays at the end but rewatch that last play and what happened was that he had one hand on the ball as he fell forward with the other hand down toward the ground to soften the fall. If he gets hit square in the moment on the way down the ball could have been jarred loose.

Here's the point regardless of who is right here....why even take the chance on that last play when taking the knee ends the game. Answer me that. No brainer. Simple stuff really.

Thats the point I was trying to make, thank you.

Wow, ok. The 2nd point of kneeling I never doubted

This for a common sense no brainer decision to simply take a knee instead of running a play and risking a fumble that neither an experienced coaching staff nor a 5th year sr. Qb could make and figure out. It's often the "little things" that make the difference between winning and losing. We point these things out not to simply belittle the staff or qb but because even though it didn't matter in this game something similar might very well matter in the next game.[/quote]

I hate to put another response on this, but man could you possibly nitpick more???? That's insane what you're talking about! After my watching of the Broncos vs. Pats, I took you up and re-watched. Wholly man, you can make your point on the kneeling, which most won't argue, but give it up on the ball security! Did you want him to bubble wrap that thing?? You made something up, that was non existent.

This for a common sense no brainer decision to simply take a knee instead of running a play and risking a fumble that neither an experienced coaching staff nor a 5th year sr. Qb could make and figure out. It's often the "little things" that make the difference between winning and losing. We point these things out not to simply belittle the staff or qb but because even though it didn't matter in this game something similar might very well matter in the next game.

I hate to put another response on this, but man could you possibly nitpick more???? That's insane what you're talking about! After my watching of the Broncos vs. Pats, I took you up and re-watched. Wholly **** man, you can make your point on the kneeling, which most won't argue, but give it up on the ball security! Did you want him to bubble wrap that thing?? You made something up, that was non existent.[/quote]
It's the little things that sometime make the difference between a W and a L. One never stops trying to improve and increase the likelyhood of a victory and here's something to work on. Getting smarter (them).

With respect to this the kid is going balls out leaning forward full speed as fast and hard as he can to get the 3 yards. 3 things can happen two of which are not good. The good one happened. Remember this is the first time the kid is getting reps so he's amped up bigtime, and with the velocity at which he propelled forward it wouldn't have taken much to dislodge the ball either by himself with the momentum he created or with a little help.

I don't know why this is such a big deal. It didn't happen, great and thank God, but, again a point to which you see, why put yourself in a position that could potentially benefit your opponent no matter how small the likelyhood; this when you don't have to. Don't get yourself worked up man. Just boring but fun Sunday/Monday morning qbing.

I hate to put another response on this, but man could you possibly nitpick more???? That's insane what you're talking about! After my watching of the Broncos vs. Pats, I took you up and re-watched. Wholly **** man, you can make your point on the kneeling, which most won't argue, but give it up on the ball security! Did you want him to bubble wrap that thing?? You made something up, that was non existent.
It's the little things that sometime make the difference between a W and a L. One never stops trying to improve and increase the likelyhood of a victory and here's something to work on. Getting smarter (them).

With respect to this the kid is going balls out leaning forward full speed as fast and hard as he can to get the 3 yards. 3 things can happen two of which are not good. The good one happened. Remember this is the first time the kid is getting reps so he's amped up bigtime, and with the velocity at which he propelled forward it wouldn't have taken much to dislodge the ball either by himself with the momentum he created or with a little help.

I don't know why this is such a big deal. It didn't happen, great and thank God, but, again a point to which you see, why put yourself in a position that could potentially benefit your opponent no matter how small the likelyhood; this when you don't have to. Don't get yourself worked up man. Just boring but fun Sunday/Monday morning qbing.[/quote]

Dude, you cannot be serious here!! Exactly, it's no big deal, let alone to try and imply there was a ball security issue!! Wow man, have a cold one and relax. There are many other topics to chew on, especially not to make things up, but you are dead wrong on ANY ball security issues in regards to the last plays! Give it a rest already.

I don't know why this is such a big deal. It didn't happen, great and thank God, but, again a point to which you see, why put yourself in a position that could potentially benefit your opponent no matter how small the likelyhood; this when you don't have to. Don't get yourself worked up man. Just boring but fun Sunday/Monday morning qbing.

Dude, you cannot be serious here!! Exactly, it's no big deal, let alone to try and imply there was a ball security issue!! Wow man, have a cold one and relax. There are many other topics to chew on, especially not to make things up, but you are dead wrong on ANY ball security issues in regards to the last plays! Give it a rest already.[/quote]

Of course there wasn't a ball security issue as thankfully he held on. But I'll take your advice and have a cold one and give it a rest. But if this type thing comes back and bites us in the behind can I reserve the right to come back and say "I told ya so"? :) It's all good man.

Dude, you cannot be serious here!! Exactly, it's no big deal, let alone to try and imply there was a ball security issue!! Wow man, have a cold one and relax. There are many other topics to chew on, especially not to make things up, but you are dead wrong on ANY ball security issues in regards to the last plays! Give it a rest already.

Of course there wasn't a ball security issue as thankfully he held on. But I'll take your advice and have a cold one and give it a rest. But if this type thing comes back and bites us in the behind can I reserve the right to come back and say "I told ya so"? :) It's all good man.[/quote]
Yes you can, as long as the kid's holding onto the ball like a loaf of bread, then feel free.:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom