Let's stop one myth right now, last possession | Syracusefan.com

Let's stop one myth right now, last possession

GoSU96

Living Legend
The first three plays with 4+ minutes left, they ran their standard paced offense, and snapped the ball with 19, 13, and 16 seconds left. They didn't go hurry up, and they didn't milk it to the very last second.

The defense didn't get a chance to time up their take off and the offense didn't have to stay in a stance and risk a proceedure penalty.

After that first first down, the ball was snapped with 8 to 11 seconds on the clock.

There's nothing wrong with that.

Yeah. I wanted them to get more points with five minutes left. At two minutes, I wanted them to kill the clock.

I rewatched the game this morning, and I'm still amazed by the last drive.

We got the ball with just a shade under 5 minutes left in the game, and killed the clock--pretty rare to see that. Very solid execution down the stretch.

The first three plays with 4+ minutes left, they ran their standard paced offense, and snapped the ball with 19, 13, and 16 seconds left. They didn't go hurry up, and they didn't milk it to the very last second.

The defense didn't get a chance to time up their take off and the offense didn't have to stay in a stance and risk a proceedure penalty.

After that first first down, the ball was snapped with 8 to 11 seconds on the clock.

As someone who directly faced both type offenses as a dline/olb I liked it better going against the quick snap fast paced offense as you were able to catch the OL man more off guard and get past them. Harder for a slower offense approach when it felt like they had more time to set up and get a better angle on me. What you say might be true for the MLB and certainly so for any secondary with their blitzes, but I still think you can and should run the clock down to under 5 seconds in all the scenarios that occurred yesterday that you point out.

Taking the time off the clock in that scenario yesterday puts you in a better chance to win then worrying about the chance that they'll get a big play by getting a better angle or jump or that we'd shoot ourself in the foot with a penalty. One is a direct known controlled by you the other an uncontrolled unknown that might not even occur.

Yes there is, honestly is there anything you wont defend this staff on? When your tryign to run the clock out and get the ball with under 5 to play (4:52 to be exact) you dont run your hurry up offense. The fact you had to use the excuse of "time to up their takeoff or risk a procedure penaly" is proof your reaching. Marrone and this staff have zero clue about clock management its not a myth its a freekin fact.

Yes there is, honestly is there anything you wont defend this staff on? When your tryign to run the clock out and get the ball with under 5 to play (4:52 to be exact) you dont run your hurry up offense. The fact you had to use the excuse of "time to up their takeoff or risk a procedure penaly" is proof your reaching. Marrone and this staff have zero clue about clock management its not a myth its a freekin fact.

They didn't run hurry up, what the hell are you talking about?

They didn't run hurry up, what the hell are you talking about?

They were snapping the ball with 20 seconds on the play clock and going no huddle, what the hell do you think they were doing.

They were snapping the ball with 20 seconds on the play clock and going no huddle, what the hell do you think they were doing.

They didn't do that once.

Yes they did watch the game again. First three plays of the last drive, its a fact. Also even after the first, first down they didnt let the play clock go down farther then 9 seconds.

Yes they did watch the game again. First three plays of the last drive, its a fact. Also even after the first, first down they didnt let the play clock go down farther then 9 seconds.

Fact, not one snap at 20 secs or before.

Flat out wrong. Ask Orangeyes, Reed and anyone else I was sitting with or who was at the game.

OK I went back and watched the last drive. On second down after the initial Smith carry we ran the play with 20 seconds on the clock.

The following play was a 1st down and we ran the play with 19 seconds on the clock.
On second down we ran the play with 16 seconds.
On third down the Nassib scramble for a first we ran the play with 8 seconds.

We easily could have ran off almost another minute just letting the clock run down.

The fact is they executed beautifully and rsn th clock out. End of story period Jeremy Is there anything about this staff that you do like? You complain no matter what.

The fact is they executed beautifully and rsn th clock out. End of story period Jeremy Is there anything about this staff that you do like? You complain no matter what.

The issue isnt the fact they executed, you have to be smarter then that. What if Nassib didnt get that first down on the scramble? You woud have given pitt an additional 45 seconds for no reason. My issues are with Hackett and Marrone as far as playcalling. I think Shafer is a hell of a coach though he took a while to realize you need to blitz Sunseri on third and long and not rush 3.

This staff tries hard but make a lot of mistakes that are frustrating to everyone when you couple the mistakes with a losing record and 8 straight Div 1 losses. Sorry I want more from my college team and want a winner.

yes they did. And while you are here, how about explaining the first series where they got 7 yards and declined an off sides penalty. 2ud and 3 is better than 1st and 5? Really? And they most certainly did snap the ball at least once with 20 seconds on the clock.

This has to be one of the weirdest, most random feuds I've seen on this board.

This has to be one of the weirdest, most random feuds I've seen on this board.

Its all in good fun, trust me I am the first one to pick Go's brain at the tailgate after a game win or lose.

The issue isnt the fact they executed, you have to be smarter then that. What if Nassib didnt get that first down on the scramble? You woud have given pitt an additional 45 seconds for no reason. My issues are with Hackett and Marrone as far as playcalling. I think Shafer is a hell of a coach though he took a while to realize you need to blitz Sunseri on third and long and not rush 3.

This staff tries hard but make a lot of mistakes that are frustrating to everyone when you couple the mistakes with a losing record and 8 straight Div 1 losses. Sorry I want more from my college team and want a winner.
Didn't they win yesterday?

OK I went back and watched the last drive. On second down after the initial Smith carry we ran the play with 20 seconds on the clock.

The following play was a 1st down and we ran the play with 19 seconds on the clock.
On second down we ran the play with 16 seconds.
On third down the Nassib scramble for a first we ran the play with 8 seconds.

We easily could have ran off almost another minute just letting the clock run down.

Check your eyes, there isn't one snap that's not under 20.

Check your eyes, there isn't one snap that's not under 20.

Should I post the picture? The first snap was exactly at 20, why the hell would I lie? Last time I checked when your running the clock out trying to protect a lead you run it down to 2-3 seconds and snap it.

What about snapping it at 20, 19, and 16 is that smart football, you conveniently didnt respond to that.

yes they did. And while you are here, how about explaining the first series where they got 7 yards and declined an off sides penalty. 2ud and 3 is better than 1st and 5? Really? And they most certainly did snap the ball at least once with 20 seconds on the clock.

I've looked at the pbp, have you? There's not one run on 3rd and long by a running back.

I've looked at the pbp, have you? There's not one run on 3rd and long by a running back.
what are you talking about?? First playof the game...Smith for 7. except Pitt is offsides. We decline the penalty. I don't understand why. 1st and 5 is better than 2ud and 3 in my book. And I was watching the game clock and there was 20 seconds left on one of our early snaps in the last pocession. Jeremy is 100% correct.

what are you talking about?? First playof the game...Smith for 7. except Pitt is offsides. We decline the penalty. I don't understand why. 1st and 5 is better than 2ud and 3 in my book. And I was watching the game clock and there was 20 seconds left on one of our early snaps in the last pocession. Jeremy is 100% correct.

It was 19 seconds. I just checked. The running clock snaps were :19, :17, :16, :08, :08, :08. We need to move on now.

We need to move on now.

I know this is an Internet message board and we are here to discuss / debate. But these types of arguments seem like such a waste. NO ONE is going to convince Go that Marrone is simply not that good of a coach. So why try? In the end, it seems one side or the other will be proven correct... Or maybe not... People are still arguing about P for Christi's sake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom