Let's Talk Scheduling for 2017 | Syracusefan.com

Let's Talk Scheduling for 2017

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
John Cassillo wrote an article for TNIAAM a couple of days ago pointing out that we still have 2 open dates for OCC games for 2017, which is extremely alarming for a P5 program 17 months from the start of the 2017 season.

He went through an analysis of the extremely limited choices Syracuse has for schools that still have open dates for OOC games that year.

Syracuse would ideally like to have 3 home OOC games and 1 away. We have CMU coming here and LSU booked away, so the hope is to schedule 2 more home games.

John came up with the following list:

Bowling Green
Coastal Carolina
Florida International
Tulane
UL-Lafayette
UL-Monroe

and maybe Air Force, Akron, Arkansas State, Ball State, Old Dominion, Middle Tennessee, Nevada, New Mexico State, San Jose State, Southern Miss, UNLV and Western Michigan/

I am guessing we schedule Tulane as a home game for 2017 and Florida International as a road game. Would you prefer playing Florida International in an away game or Coastal Carolina in a home game? Given the importance we are placing on Florida, I think we end up playing a game there...

But given how much we are recruiting the Midwest, we might just end up playing Bowling Green away in 2017.

Linkage

I wouldn't mind a 2-for-1 with Middle Tennessee. Give us a chance to do a game in the Nasvhille area, plus extend our thanks for their dispatching of Michigan State.

I would book CCarolina at home. If you could do a 2 for 1, even better. As a member of the ACC playing down there against a team not named Duke, NCSU, WF, UNC or Clemson is a good thing.

I'm going to be in Colorado for a bit so I like @Air Force. I think I'm only a couple of hours away...

Is any part of this delay due to potential dome renovations? Maybe they're holding off as long as possible to determine if and/or when the dome will be unavailable before entering into some contracts for games. If they need to go on the road for a year, or even part of a year, it would make sense to load up on away games in order to more easily fill the desired 7 home games in future seasons.

Secondarily, one of the remaining games for 2017 is the 1-AA slot, which is virtually guaranteed to be a home game. Really they only have 1 spot to schedule.

My roommate is the only FIU grad I've ever met and it'd be a perfect excuse for a trip to Miami. Sign me up for a home and home with them.

The comment I left over there. BTW, I have no inside info on this topic:

John, remember Cuse might be delaying on purpose. We have all heard that the Dome decision is expected to be made during the May Board of Trustees meeting. If they pick the "heavy" Dome renovation option (vs. Light reno or build new elsewhere) it would be a no brainer to only find homes for 5 home games (MetLife, Yankee Stadium, UBuffalo, Cornell, etc…) instead of 6 or 7. I would be supportive for SU to have 7 road games in 2017. Talking to a few construction guys they think the ’17 FB season would be not possible at the Dome…I.E. cranes need to be but in the middle of the Dome for superstructure work. Instead of playing non conference team "X" in front of 16k in Buffalo…just punt and get more home games from ’18 outwards.

Our options will open up if we go to a MAC, SunBelt, CUSA, AAC team that we would like to play away in ‘17 with a return game or two in Cuse. I would pick the worst of the bunch to play away. We should stay away from G5 teams that could beat us. Coastal Carolina, LA-Monroe, LA-Lafayette (BTW, great Cajun Food there), BGSU all sound good. We might be able to get another G5 school to move a game in order to get a P5 team (Cuse) at their stadium in ’17 too. I wouldn’t be opposed to a 3 to 5 game series with any G5 school in a good recruiting area or primo fan destination.

I don't know that I'd be in any rush to play BGSU in the near term. They were pretty darn good under our current HCDB. I'm assuming the new guy inherits most of his players and keeps the same offensive system. FIU and Coastal Car are better options at this juncture. We need wins.

Being in Houston, I am good with an easy road trip to a Louisiana school. However, Tulane offers a weekend in NOLA, 'nuff said.

I like Coastal Carolina and FIU as they offer recruiting opportunities. MTSU would be in the good recruiting grounds category, too, as would Southern Miss.

I would prefer to see a 2-1, or 3-2 deal, if possible. I want to see Syracuse have 7 home games annually and I believe that Babers will have the team winning enough to support this kind of scheduling in the not to distant future.

How about the Austin Peay Governors? Beautiful downtown Clarksville, TN.

I would book CCarolina at home. If you could do a 2 for 1, even better. As a member of the ACC playing down there against a team not named Duke, NCSU, WF, UNC or Clemson is a good thing.
CCarolina's stadium is about 10k...I think they are expanding. They should be agreeable to a 2 for 1.

Bowling Green-away only option
Coastal Carolina-away most likely
Florida International- away must for them
Tulane-home or away option
UL-Lafayette-away only
UL-Monroe-away only

all but tulane already have 2 OOC games away scheduled

so looking at these options its most likely going to have to be away in 17 regardless of dome renovation announcement

Why is scheduling such a chronic problem? A good number of teams are scheduled through 2019. Hell, Wake is scheduled through 2021.

John, remember Cuse might be delaying on purpose. We have all heard that the Dome decision is expected to be made during the May Board of Trustees meeting. If they pick the "heavy" Dome renovation option (vs. Light reno or build new elsewhere) it would be a no brainer to only find homes for 5 home games (MetLife, Yankee Stadium, UBuffalo, Cornell, etc…) instead of 6 or 7. I would be supportive for SU to have 7 road games in 2017. Talking to a few construction guys they think the ’17 FB season would be not possible at the Dome…I.E. cranes need to be but in the middle of the Dome for superstructure work. Instead of playing non conference team "X" in front of 16k in Buffalo…just punt and get more home games from ’18 outwards.

Our options will open up if we go to a MAC, SunBelt, CUSA, AAC team that we would like to play away in ‘17 with a return game or two in Cuse. I would pick the worst of the bunch to play away. We should stay away from G5 teams that could beat us. Coastal Carolina, LA-Monroe, LA-Lafayette (BTW, great Cajun Food there), BGSU all sound good. We might be able to get another G5 school to move a game in order to get a P5 team (Cuse) at their stadium in ’17 too. I wouldn’t be opposed to a 3 to 5 game series with any G5 school in a good recruiting area or primo fan destination.
that's a decent theory.

or at least it would make a solid defense explanation if they are truly dropping the ball up there.

regardless, this has ben driving me nuts for well over a decade now.

I can also see the G5 teams not being excited to play us if we start putting 60 up on the board.

get these things scheduled ASAP.

that's a decent theory.

or at least it would make a solid defense explanation if they are truly dropping the ball up there.

regardless, this has ben driving me nuts for well over a decade now.

I can also see the G5 teams not being excited to play us if we start putting 60 up on the board.

get these things scheduled ASAP.

I would feel better about this being an isolated thing for 2017 if not for the dismal history we have had scheduling for the past 10 years or so, and the fact that we are crazily behind in scheduling for 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and the years that follow.

I would feel better about this being an isolated thing for 2017 if not for the dismal history we have had scheduling for the past 10 years or so, and the fact that we are crazily behind in scheduling for 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021 and the years that follow.
exactly.

an easy marker for this is when Bobby Bowden threw us a bone to save our schedule in 2004.

2004!!!

12 freakin seasons ago!!

and I don't think that was the 1st time we were sweating out a schedule.

and its still happening for 2017 on out!!!

enough!!!

Get after this now because when we are good again nobody is going to want to play us. We've seen this movie before...

We should be scheduling 3 road games in OOC for 2017 as the Dome renovation is coming. If w e play the I-AA and 3 road games it would bank future home games.

We should be scheduling 3 road games in OOC for 2017 as the Dome renovation is coming. If w e play the I-AA and 3 road games it would bank future home games.
Yup...I realized that a while back...go out and sign up 2 beatable G5 teams. Play them both away in '17. You might even be able to get someone like Kent, Akron, Ball State, EMU to move a game in '17 to make room for Cuse on their home schedule. Try for a 2 for 1.

To followup...those 2 "beatable" G5 teams should be within 2 hours flying time...going to be on the road enough in '17 (if they go that route).

A game at UB, UMass would be a bus event.

To followup...those 2 "beatable" G5 teams should be within 2 hours flying time...going to be on the road enough in '17 (if they go that route).

A game at UB, UMass would be a bus event.
just so im clear, you and the rest are saying I should get prepared for Clemson and maybe Pitt at Giants Stadium next year, right??

just so im clear, you and the rest are saying I should get prepared for Clemson and maybe Pitt at Giants Stadium next year, right??
Nothing is clear yet...but conventional wisdom states if the "Major Dome Reno" Plan is selected I think we lose the '17 FB season and possibly the most of or all of the whole '17-'18 BB season too.

I think Cuse is nuts to schedule more than 2-3 FB games at MetLife/Yankee Stadium. The others should be at UB and/or Cornell

For Hoops: I think we look at a combo or arenas: Albany, Buffalo, Syracuse, Rochester and MSG/Barclays could all be in play.

Just to be clear this is all speculation on my part.