Lets talk UVA Syracuse ... | Syracusefan.com

Lets talk UVA Syracuse ...

BaccoRdHoo

Walk On
UVA has a lot of questions. The defense will be one of Tony Bennet's best by mid season. Rim protectors all over the place... but the offense will take some time to gell. I think Syracuse is getting their best shot .. .And a good shot with the timing of this game.

UVA has a lot of questions. The defense will be one of Tony Bennet's best by mid season. Rim protectors all over the place... but the offense will take some time to gell. I think Syracuse is getting their best shot .. .And a good shot with the timing of this game.
Syracuse does bring the potential of better 3 point shooting to the equation which is needed to challange UVA. BUT is it ready this early in the season. I think the Cuse has been underrated in the pre-season polls.

Syracuse does bring the potential of better 3 point shooting to the equation which is needed to challange UVA. BUT is it ready this early in the season. I think the Cuse has been underrated in the pre-season polls.
Pulling an all nighter and needing some distraction? :)

I suspect you are going to hurt us on the boards. Good chance we get in serious foul trouble.
I suspect you might have some problems scoring early in the season.

We should be able to get some decent looks from the 3 point circle.

Could be an interesting game. It will be really strange to see a UVa team without Hunter, Guy, Jerome and even Salt.

I wish we could just play you in January-March per usual. This early November stuff is just so weird.
I think our chances for a W are better that it is not in the regular time frame, but I understand the oddness of it all.

I wish we could just play you in January-March per usual. This early November stuff is just so weird.

Nothing wrong with a big game to start the year. Big 10 is doing a couple early conference games also - granted not the first games of the year. I think it's an exciting way to start the season and can't wait.

If we win, rest assured I will love the idea.

Win or lose, my perspective is this. For the most part, the past 5 seasons we have been a mediocre, middle of the pack ACC team, with the class of the league being Duke, UVA & UNC. Yes, we are young, but UVA also is without 4 key guys that moved on, all whom had been a rock of consistency towards their high successes and acheivements.

This is a great opportunity for SU to catch these guys while they have yet to gel or establish any chemistry, etc., just like many of those pre-season tourneys (Maui Invitational, etc.) where typically you see a "lessor" perceived team getting the upset against a high(er) ranked team. And, if we do get the W, it may go a long way come March. If not, it's no big deal as it's a game we weren't supposed to win anyways, and it can be dismissed as we were so green, early on, etc. From this standpoint, along with many opportunities to gather some big W's down the road, we really have nothing to lose, but so much to potentially gain. At least this is how I'm choosing to look at it.

Hopefully it's just a one-off occurrence this season to open the ACC Network's coverage of basketball. I can't imagine any of the coaches' being pleased with making this idea permanent.

The timing is odd, but given how much turnover UVA is experiencing, I don't mind getting a shot at them right away. I bet they're much better after a few months. (I understand you could say the same thing about our team, but by the middle of the season I would expect UVA to be a top 10 team. Not sure thats the case right away)

Yea ... And we wish we were playing Cuse in Feb or March. I personally think the advantage may go to Cuse here. It may take a month or so for UVA to mold their offensive identity. I think the D will be fine.

Yeah. Virginia probably has a lot of things to iron out at this point.
Yes ... Even Tony Bennett is admitting that. Most of these guys are being cast into leadership roles for the first time.

I'm taking a red eye Tuesday night from Seattle so I will be there with my brother and a friend. Can't wait. Since they have lost so much and they don't have a lot of shooters back i think the zone could be really effective. I'm worried about interior foul trouble and rebounding but if we can hit some shots I like our chances.

Yea ... And we wish we were playing Cuse in Feb or March. I personally think the advantage may go to Cuse here. It may take a month or so for UVA to mold their offensive identity. I think the D will be fine.
I think you might be right that your offense isnt clicking yet, but I think you will kill us on the boards and easy second chance baskets. Which might be the most frustrating way to lose ever...im really getting a little sick of seeing it to be honest lol.

so another 50-46 rock fight. Yay.

so another 50-46 rock fight. Yay.
That is so funny. I know the rest of the ACC hates it when it happens but UVA fans have learned to appreciate just how much it demoralizes the other team. Take a look at UNC's average points scored against us over the last 5 years. I believe twice holding them under 50. Gotta love it.