Lets talk UVA Syracuse ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lets talk UVA Syracuse ...

Yea ... And we wish we were playing Cuse in Feb or March. I personally think the advantage may go to Cuse here. It may take a month or so for UVA to mold their offensive identity. I think the D will be fine.

We both have new pieces. Yours were legendary. One of ours is addition by subtraction. Perhaps it’s just good feelings about a new season, but I think we’ll be good this year and surprise a lot of teams. I guess we’ll see what happens.
1572098116083.jpeg

FWIW UVa beat VCU 52-44 in a scrimmage in Richmond last weekend, and VCU is top 25 and brings back a ton of experience. Key against Cuse may be Huff, and whether the guards can get him the ball in the zone sweet spot. Either way, I’d expect it to be a rock fight.

That is so funny. I know the rest of the ACC hates it when it happens but UVA fans have learned to appreciate just how much it demoralizes the other team. Take a look at UNC's average points scored against us over the last 5 years. I believe twice holding them under 50. Gotta love it.
nah don't gotta love it at all

FWIW UVa beat VCU 52-44 in a scrimmage in Richmond last weekend, and VCU is top 25 and brings back a ton of experience. Key against Cuse may be Huff, and whether the guards can get him the ball in the zone sweet spot. Either way, I’d expect it to be a rock fight.

Was that one of those private, closed door scrimmages? Are they played like a real game or something more like a controlled practice?

Was that one of those private, closed door scrimmages? Are they played like a real game or something more like a controlled practice?
Yes. it was one of the closed door scrimmages. The past couple of seasons we had one with Villanova because Bennett and Jay Wright really get along with each other.

Supposedly VPI just had one with Richmond and lost, per a rumor posted on our board.

No one really knows the format they use. It's believed that it's run like a regular game, but I would assume there are stoppages to set up particular situations the coaches want to see. But, that's the thing. What happens in them is pure guesswork because no outsiders are permitted to see them.

We both have new pieces. Yours were legendary. One of ours is addition by subtraction. Perhaps it’s just good feelings about a new season, but I think we’ll be good this year and surprise a lot of teams. I guess we’ll see what happens.View attachment 172011
We both have new pieces. Yours were legendary. One of ours is addition by subtraction. Perhaps it’s just good feelings about a new season, but I think we’ll be good this year and surprise a lot of teams. I guess we’ll see what happens.View attachment 172011
It seems like Tony Bennett always has some under the radar player he unvails each year that nobody has heard of and its like where the hell did this guy come from. I don't know who that might be this year or if he even exist. In the absence of that i consider this game a toss up ... In the Carrier Dome.

I just get a weird positive feeling about this syracuse team this season.

really think we shock a lot of people...not so sure we beat Virginia to start the season but I think it’s a whole lot closer than a lot of people outside of syracuse think it will be

I just get a weird positive feeling about this syracuse team this season.

really think we shock a lot of people...not so sure we beat Virginia to start the season but I think it’s a whole lot closer than a lot of people outside of syracuse think it will be
Are your feelings ever wrong? ;)

I think we'll be better than most expect this year, but early season is always hard to predict. Add to that a bunch of young Hoos playing against the Syracuse zone and I have to think this will be a close game.

The past 5 years we have had fantastic point guards with size that could get into the middle of the zone and wreak havoc on it. This year Kihei is going to be the primary ball handler and he just doesn't have the size to do that so the question will be who will Tony make the zone buster?

Morsell is a freshman and probably won't have the confidence or experience to do it, and he's a shooting guard.
Key would be out of position and he's not a great passer.
Mamadi is a maybe but I don't think he's going to be comfortable there.

Best bet is actually our center, Huff. He can shoot the 3, handle the ball well for a 7 footer, and is a great passer. He probably won't be a huge threat to dribble unless driving to the hoop though which limits the ability to get the zone out of position. It'll be an interesting game and year.

My biggest fear is that Virginia will physically pound us like BC did yesterday.

Any team with inexperienced guards will be at a disadvantage vs the zone. In addition, the times we’ve beaten Virginia - seemed like we hit good threes and throttled them defensively.

Bennett is obv a great coach and that will help. But I think we get this one.

I think this game sets up great for Syracuse. There are a LOT of reasons to think we (UVA) could struggle mightily offensively in this game:

-First there's the fact that the Cuse zone is very different from what you see for most of the season, and it's hard to dedicate too much time to it in practice, ESPECIALLY early in the season when there are still a lot of other kinks to work out and systems to put in
-As so many have mentioned, we have a TON of production to replace, including our best 3 perimeter players and shooters. Not a great recipe for busting the zone.
-Bennett usually spends MUCH more practice time on defense than offense early in the year, even moreso when we're breaking in so many new rotation players that don't have a ton of experience in the packline
-I have NO idea who will be best suited to play that middle/FT area playmaking spot. Clark is the only guard with experience, but he's probably too small to go there. We prefer not to put a big in that spot, but I expect we'll see doses of Braxton Key and Jay Huff there. Not that comfortable with either of those guys consistently making the right read/play there. MAYBE Huff will work out, but that will pull him away from the O-boards (which I actually think might be our best avenue to consistent scoring... second chances)

Really believe this is an excellent opportunity for Cuse to catch us. I expect for us to be MUCH better after 10-15 games when the new guys have settled in, everyone has found their role, and everyone understands the D principles a lot better. I bet we end up favored by a point or two, but if I were a betting man (and I'm not), I would go hard on Cuse to win outright - especially if you're catching any decent odds.

Both teams are a mystery within a conundrum and wrapped with a riddle.

Cuse fans are feeling very skittish. Let’s hope the home floor helps us. New players can be as overwhelmed by a big crowd as the opponent.