Likely Stupid Thought - But How Stupid Is What I Want To Know | Syracusefan.com

Likely Stupid Thought - But How Stupid Is What I Want To Know

Dadarules

Walk On
Aside from a Mr. Boots update (he is still crushing it btw - finishing his masters on a baseball scholly at St. Johns, getting a win closing in the Regionals of the College World Series last spring coming in for the 11th & 12th inning giving up ZERO hits and 2Ks with the season on the line and the team's main closer hitting 95mph with a sick slider and a nice changeup - pitching against Wake on Saturday in fallball, I WILL be there) I rarely - if ever over the past decades of reading here actually START a thread.

So I said to my friends on an email kidding around (kinda) that the offensive skill players at SU are a great overall mix, so much so that if any top 25 team swapped out their skill players only with SU they would have the same number or possibly more wins at this point. Now understand that (1) I made this comment acknowledging that I have ABSOLUTELY no idea what I am talking about (2) it wasn't that we have THE BEST collection of talent - these programs have great players that can't earn playing time (like Meeks at UGA) BUT I am making the comment thinking that the overall swap wouldn't negtively impact their records because it is a really good collection of skill players that combined with their overall existing offensive line, defense & special teams woul be productive enough to maintain whatever out comes they have already earned on their own.

If you are going to say this is the most uneducated / stupid / just damn dumb concept then GET IN LINE!! I already believe it is. It is based on being happy that we have a group of players who have repeatedly made plays and lots of emotional homerism. Also, I am positive there are better players at this o that positions - I again just wondered that if the collection as a whole is a group that could be swapped out in tier 1 teams with all the existing additional talent and perform at the highest level.

I am putting it here because so many here actually COULD tell me how stupid the concept is. Thanks in advance!!

I would take our starting offensive skill players over any other program in college football right now. Our OL is another issue.

I LOVE this group of players, but that's taking it a little too far for me. We obviously know much more about Syracuse because we follow them so closely. But what about a team like Ohio State with Quinshon Judkins and Treveyon Henderson in the backfield, and maybe the best WR in the country (Jeremiah Williams), who is a true frosh! Then there's Emeka Egbuka too. That's a ton of firepower.

We have a lot of good productive players with a high end Qb that gets the ball to them in good spots in a scheme that doesn‘t lean on any single player or position, but let’s not get nuts.

Tim Burton Batman GIF by Giffffr

I LOVE this group of players, but that's taking it a little too far for me. We obviously know much more about Syracuse because we follow them so closely. But what about a team like Ohio State with Quinshon Judkins and Treveyon Henderson in the backfield, and maybe the best WR in the country (Jeremiah Williams), who is a true frosh! Then there's Emeka Egbuka too. That's a ton of firepower.
Again... I will take our collective group over any other collective group in college football right now. I think we have more offensive options than any team out there right now ( and we are still without two of our top recievers )

Again... I will take our collective group over any other collective group in college football right now. I think we have more offensive options than any team out there right now ( and we are still without two of our top recievers )

Certainly your choice, but that's too far fetched for me. We have a guy in Jackson Meeks (who is playing great) that literally couldn't get on the field at Georgia. You can't just go by stats in a situation such as this. We're spreading the ball around extremely well, but we don't have a RB who can break a big play. I love how hard Lequint runs/plays, but OSU has 2 backs that are light years better.

Sounds nice and all, but it’s not even close to what Ohio State can put on the field.

Mind blowing what people say. If we lose a few games, we probably have the worst sill position guys...

Certainly your choice, but that's too far fetched for me. We have a guy in Jackson Meeks (who is playing great) that literally couldn't get on the field at Georgia. You can't just go by stats in a situation such as this. We're spreading the ball around extremely well, but we don't have a RB who can break a big play. I love how hard Lequint runs/plays, but OSU has 2 backs that are light years better.
"You can't go by real life stats to show how productive a player is"

Neil Degrasse Tyson Mind Blown GIF

Actually...I'll TRIPLE down on my initial statement. Imagine how much BETTER our skill players on offense would look if we had Ohio State offensive line. Let that sink in. I would still take them without it though.

Could probably piece meal players off opposing teams we've played and get similar. Stanford wr, unlv wr, Ohio RB... but the group we have compliments one another nicely. Just miss Zeed or the like as an elite speed gamebreaker

"You can't go by real life stats to show how productive a player is"

Neil Degrasse Tyson Mind Blown GIF

You left out 1 very important word, "JUST". I said you can't go by JUST stats. Different offenses, different opponents, different number of targets/carries.

You left out 1 very important word, "JUST". I said you can't go by JUST stats. Different offenses, different opponents, different number of targets/carries.
How about productivity? This is a ridiculous argument. Judge them by what they are doing. They don't control who they are playing.

How about productivity? This is a ridiculous argument. Judge them by what they are doing. They don't control who they are playing.

Of course they are being productive. I never said they weren't. I said they are not the best group of skill players in the country, and aside from the players mothers, no one would agree with your assessment that they are.

Of course they are being productive. I never said they weren't. I said they are not the best group of skill players in the country, and aside from the players mothers, no one would agree with your assessment that they are.
Excuse Me What GIF by CBS

You gotta include the times when a player gets triple covered, cuz then someone else is definitely open and McCord will hit em fer a TERCHDERN!

So I want to be clear about what I was saying / asking. It was not Is the SU skill players the best group of skill players in the country. That was not it at all. It was, IF our skill players were swapped into any other top 25 program would they have produce the same or even more wins than the current group? As much as I initially stated that I in fact am a moron for positing this concept the more it sets in I guess the dumber I am becoming because I am actually believing that maybe there is a chance it could be true.

Using OSU - I am not saying our skill gorup is better, I am saying would they have the same of better record with our skill players. Maybe you win a game by 14 as opposed to 28 but if you win the answer is YES - the swap would produce the same number of wins. OSU is 5-1 with wins against Akron / Western Michigan / Marshall / Michigan State / Iowa with a loss against Oregon. Let's all agree (I am sure somebody won't but here is a preemptive screw-you! - just kidding - disagree away) that the Akron / Western Michigan / Marshall games would be won using SU's skill players.

Now to Mich St - the OSU defense DOMINATED that game forcing 3 turnovers and OSU thre an INT so let's not act like everyone esle is perfect . . . So I say - hell yeah, OSU beats Mich St with our skill guys.

So how about Iowa - well the OSU defense again caused 3 turnovers and held them to 226 total yards and the OSU offense lost a fumble and threw an INT - so again, is our group doing worse? I say a heartfelt hell no.

Net sum - the team most reference in the takng down of my idiotic concept has in my mind been shown to say - they would NOT have lost anymore games with our skill guys. And hey, who knows what happens VS Oregon . . .

Anyways, I was looking for all your perspectives on this type of viewing of the swap - not just who has a better group. And now I have become dumber because of this - in that I now actually am begining to BELIEVE my thought might be true. Anyway, I at least had fun thinking about it this way.

So I want to be clear about what I was saying / asking. It was not Is the SU skill players the best group of skill players in the country. That was not it at all. It was, IF our skill players were swapped into any other top 25 program would they have produce the same or even more wins than the current group? As much as I initially stated that I in fact am a moron for positing this concept the more it sets in I guess the dumber I am becoming because I am actually believing that maybe there is a chance it could be true.

Using OSU - I am not saying our skill gorup is better, I am saying would they have the same of better record with our skill players. Maybe you win a game by 14 as opposed to 28 but if you win the answer is YES - the swap would produce the same number of wins. OSU is 5-1 with wins against Akron / Western Michigan / Marshall / Michigan State / Iowa with a loss against Oregon. Let's all agree (I am sure somebody won't but here is a preemptive screw-you! - just kidding - disagree away) that the Akron / Western Michigan / Marshall games would be won using SU's skill players.

Now to Mich St - the OSU defense DOMINATED that game forcing 3 turnovers and OSU thre an INT so let's not act like everyone esle is perfect . . . So I say - hell yeah, OSU beats Mich St with our skill guys.

So how about Iowa - well the OSU defense again caused 3 turnovers and held them to 226 total yards and the OSU offense lost a fumble and threw an INT - so again, is our group doing worse? I say a heartfelt hell no.

Net sum - the team most reference in the takng down of my idiotic concept has in my mind been shown to say - they would NOT have lost anymore games with our skill guys. And hey, who knows what happens VS Oregon . . .

Anyways, I was looking for all your perspectives on this type of viewing of the swap - not just who has a better group. And now I have become dumber because of this - in that I now actually am begining to BELIEVE my thought might be true. Anyway, I at least had fun thinking about it this way.

I follow what you're saying with this post. I agree - I think our skill guys swapped with OSU's win all of their games, other than Oregon. I think they lose to Oregon by more than a point.

Seems as though you're asking what is the difference between our skill guys, and in this instance, OSU's with all other things being equal. Total blind guess with absolute zero analytical insight, I'll say 7 points. I think their guys are worth 1 more TD than ours over the course of a game.

Last edited:
I follow what you're saying with this post. I agree - I think our skills swapped with OSU's win all of their games, other than Oregon. I think they lose to Oregon by more than a point.

Seems as though you're asking what is the difference between our skill guys, and in this instance, OSU's with all other things being equal. Total blind guess with absolute zero analytical insight, I'll say 7 points. I think their guys are worth 1 more TD than ours over the course of a game.
Nice, which to me is such a great relative position compared to the recent / lomger term history. As a fan I find this as a source of optimism going forward, especially with it taking place in 1 year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom