Lineup Next Year | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lineup Next Year

C dc2/rak/keita
Pf rak/CJ/grant
Sf Dirty/CJ/grant
Sg triche/cooney/mookie
Pg mcw/triche

I think Dirty gets the start as senior plus if you are playing Rak and DC2 at the same time your SF must space the floor and James is far better than CJ in that regard. Truthfully I think CJ and Dirty will be on the floor together 30mins a game. with Rak and DC2 in the middle.

CJ is going to smart at 3.

He was already our top rebounder last season, and he's going to show a more diversified offensive game.

CJ is better than KJ was at every skill at the same stage of the developmental curve. He's going to be a stud next year.

Book it.

CJ is going to smart at 3.

He was already our top rebounder last season, and he's going to show a more diversified offensive game.

CJ is better than KJ was at every skill at the same stage of the developmental curve. He's going to be a stud next year.

Book it.

Well I'm glad to hear CJ is smart at the 3, but if Rak and DC2 are not strong rebounders than they can't be on the court at the same time so rebounding shouldn't be CJ's primary goal when on the floor with those two guys, he won't be that close to the rim on offense to rebound anyway. It's not really about who is better Jame or CJ its about having guys on the floor who compliment each others game. Think of the 2010 team we were able to play AO and Ricky together because Wes was able to space the floor by shooting 3s. James is better suited for that role than CJ. When one of the bigs comes out of the game than we can play James and CJ both will be on the floor at the end of the game IMO anyway.

Well I'm glad to hear CJ is smart at the 3, but if Rak and DC2 are not strong rebounders than they can't be on the court at the same time so rebounding shouldn't be CJ's primary goal when on the floor with those two guys, he won't be that close to the rim on offense to rebound anyway. It's not really about who is better Jame or CJ its about having guys on the floor who compliment each others game. Think of the 2010 team we were able to play AO and Ricky together because Wes was able to space the floor by shooting 3s. James is better suited for that role than CJ. When one of the bigs comes out of the game than we can play James and CJ both will be on the floor at the end of the game IMO anyway.

Flawed analysis on the 2010 team. AO and Ricky weren't complimentary, they were the duplicative inside tandem that started until our first substitution got one of them out of the game in lieu of a smaller, more versatile, more athletic lineup. It wasn't altogether that much different than JB starting Fab and Rak together this year, with the latter getting a quick hook for a second small forward to enter the game.

You are significantly understimating CJ's perimeter scoring aptitude. I don't dispute that Southerland is the better 3 point shooter, but my prediction for next season is that CJ takes it up a notch. Wouldn't remotely surprise me to see him lead the team in scoring. After the way he finished the postseason, I'd be surprised if anything less than that occurred.

Prepare to be pleasantly surprised! :)

Flawed analysis on the 2010 team. AO and Ricky weren't complimentary, they were the duplicative inside tandem that started until our first substitution got one of them out of the game in lieu of a smaller, more versatile, more athletic lineup. It wasn't altogether that much different than JB starting Fab and Rak together this year, with the latter getting a quick hook for a second small forward to enter the game.

You are significantly understimating CJ's perimeter scoring aptitude. I don't dispute that Southerland is the better 3 point shooter, but my prediction for next season is that CJ takes it up a notch. Wouldn't remotely surprise me to see him lead the team in scoring. After the way he finished the postseason, I'd be surprised if anything less than that occurred.
CJ and MCW will the team leaders. The bench will primarily be Cooney and Dirty. BMK will see time when Rak and DC2 get in foul trouble. Grant will see minimal time. Hopefully he can show up as an athletic defender, thats really the most might need out of him.

I expect that Rak will improve significantly between this year and next, with his game closing some ground on his physical gifts, not to mention that he'll have a year of strength and conditioning under his belt.

I love the potential starting lineup and rotation in the OP, which is exactly how I expect it to pan out. Coleman should complement Rak nicely, both are impressive physical specimens who despite both being interior players are very different; DC being a brute with some offensive polish, while Rak is a long, lean high-riser. CJ gets to be numero uno at the 3 and hopefully is done playing out of position, when I think about what he's done in a supporting role in his first two years one can't help but be jazzed for what he can do as one of the go-to guys. Southerland should be one of the top 6th men in the country who will fit beautifully into a more traditional shorter Boeheim rotation as a guy who can man either forward spot. I tend to think Keita will get regular minutes, I'm hoping we see freshman year Keita instead of sophomore year Keita; the former would be hard to keep out of the mix. Love the length in the backcourt, and again they should all complement each other well. Triche the senior leader who can man either guard spot; MCW the high-ceiling talent with a year under his belt ready to be turned loose; and Cooney the marksmen who may also show us all that there's a lot more to his game than the perimeter shot.

The pieces fit well together, the roles should be clearly defined, and there's still a lot of talent despite all the losses--the team is not rebuilding, it's reloading. This group will be a lot better than most are giving them credit for.

Prepare to be pleasantly surprised! :)
Revisionist history AO and Ricky played 10+ mins together per game, neither got the hook the Rak received this year. We only player 7 guys that year and started every game with a high low set with Ricky at the foul line and AO in the post.

Also CJ ended the year on a rough shooting stretch having about 3 good games out of his last 10. I think both players will improve and play well. Brandon will lead the team in scoring and I think James will be second and CJ third but that could flip flop.

Revisionist history AO and Ricky played 10+ mins together per game, neither got the hook the Rak received this year. We only player 7 guys that year and started every game with a high low set with Ricky at the foul line and AO in the post.

Also CJ ended the year on a rough shooting stretch having about 3 good games out of his last 10. I think both players will improve and play well. Brandon will lead the team in scoring and I think James will be second and CJ third but that could flip flop.

False accusation of revisionist history. I never said that AO / Ricky got the quick hook Rak got this year, just that that wasn't our best lineup, despite the fact that they were starters. In fact, they played limited minutes in tandem. You were the one who said that Wes balanced that lineup with his outside shooting--that's revisionist history. In truth, those two played limited minutes together, and our best lineup that year featured one of the bigs [whichever one was playing better any particular game], with the other one getting pulled while Wes and KJ, two small forwards, played alongside the lone big.

Just like how our best lineup this past year was with Fab playing alongside two small forwards in Kris and CJ.

To your next point, CJ ended the regular season mired in a tremendous slump--no argument there. But he played two of his best games of the season against Wisconsin and Ohio State, in two tough one-on-one matchups against highly respected counterparts, including Deshaun Thomas. Which is why I believe you--and many other posters--underestimate the jump CJ is going to take this offseason. He'll be the best player on next year's team--mark it down.

Can't wait for next year to get started.

False accusation of revisionist history. I never said that AO / Ricky got the quick hook Rak got this year, just that that wasn't our best lineup, despite the fact that they were starters. In fact, they played limited minutes in tandem. You were the one who said that Wes balanced that lineup with his outside shooting--that's revisionist history. In truth, our best lineup that year feature one of the bigs [whichever one was playing better any particular game], with the other one getting pulled while Wes and KJ, two small forwards, played alongside the lone big.

Just like how our best lineup this past year was with Fab playing alongside two small forwards in Kris and CJ.

To your next point, CJ ended the regular season mired in a tremendous slump--no argument there. But he played two of his best games of the season against Wisconsin and Ohio State, in two tough one-on-one matchups against highly respected counterparts. Which is why I believe you--and many other posters--underestimate the jump CJ is going to take this offseason. He'll be the best player on next year's team--mark it down.

Can't wait for next year to get started.

I never claimed the line up with the 2 bigs was the best line up in 2010. I stated it only worked because we had a 3man (Wes) to space the floor and if we start 2 bigs next year than James is a better option than CJ to space the floor. Both guys will play heavy mins, and both will be on the court at the end of games. Brandon will be the best player on the floor next year--book it!

I can't wait for next year either Go Cuse!

It'll be mcw-triche-fair-rak-dc.

Cooney-dirty-Keita off the bench. Grant will get his feet wet. Not sure if the human victory cigar returns.

I think Rak will see more minutes at center then PF.
His skills were WAY more built for center last year defensively. AND hes a defensive player first.

Hes a good shot blocker off a standstill(thats what centers are built for).
Hes a good rebounder for a center in the 2-3 a rare quality to have.
Hes more physical then he is motor on defense.
Maybe he will make the sophmore jump with a better defensive motor though.

Usually JB depends on the older players to make a jump and do the things that the team lacks. For that reason we could see Baye at the four. Baye is more explosive on help defense then rak, hes skinnier, and active. I think he could make a good rebounder at the four just has to hang on to the ball on physical rebounds. I wouldn't be shocked if we logged minutes at the four. In some ways I am glad to see we didn't get Noel because I really respect Keitas attitude and hustle. Despite regressing last year the guy just has the attitude of a winner.
Hope he has a stong offseason and puts some strength and physical stamina on.

I wouldn't be surprised to see JB go more with a smaller lineup at the four for just under 30 mpg.
I wouldn't be surprised to see JB roll the dice on Southerland and Fair both for 30 mpg. They are the upperclassmen. And James is the senior. Yes hes hot cold BUT, hes the senior.

If we go with a smaller lineup though it will put even more pressure on our depth.
Especially if we hope one of our forwads to log a few minutes at SF which is still a possibility if our bigs can give us some high post isolation.

I think Rak will see more minutes at center then PF.
His skills were WAY more built for center last year defensively. AND hes a defensive player first.

Hes a good shot blocker off a standstill(thats what centers are built for).
Hes a good rebounder for a center in the 2-3 a rare quality to have.
Hes more physical then he is motor on defense.
Maybe he will make the sophmore jump with a better defensive motor though.

Usually JB depends on the older players to make a jump and do the things that the team lacks. For that reason we could see Baye at the four. Baye is more explosive on help defense then rak, hes skinnier, and active. I think he could make a good rebounder at the four just has to hang on to the ball on physical rebounds. I wouldn't be shocked if we logged minutes at the four. In some ways I am glad to see we didn't get Noel because I really respect Keitas attitude and hustle. Despite regressing last year the guy just has the attitude of a winner.
Hope he has a stong offseason and puts some strength and physical stamina on.

I wouldn't be surprised to see JB go more with a smaller lineup at the four for just under 30 mpg.
I wouldn't be surprised to see JB roll the dice on Southerland and Fair both for 30 mpg. They are the upperclassmen. And James is the senior. Yes hes hot cold BUT, hes the senior.

If we go with a smaller lineup though it will put even more pressure on our depth.
Especially if we hope one of our forwads to log a few minutes at SF which is still a possibility if our bigs can give us some high post isolation.
Baye is a good guy but there is no chance he sniffs the 4. His feet are no where near quick enough to guard the perimeter and on offense we're lucky if his stone hands can catch and finish layups much less make moves away from the hoop. He's a rold player, that role is backup C and he works hard and fills his role with a great attitude. Personally I think he gets limited minutes this year with DC2 and Rak getting most of the C minutes and Rak and JS getting 4 minutes.

Baye is a good guy but there is no chance he sniffs the 4. His feet are no where near quick enough to guard the perimeter and on offense we're lucky if his stone hands can catch and finish layups much less make moves away from the hoop. He's a rold player, that role is backup C and he works hard and fills his role with a great attitude. Personally I think he gets limited minutes this year with DC2 and Rak getting most of the C minutes and Rak and JS getting 4 minutes.

Curious what others think. Could Baye make a good PF.
I think some people are trying to get Rak and DC2 on the floor together then they are individual skills. I can't say I disagree with that thought but if we look at Raks plus minus at PF compared to Center there would be no comparison Center would blow it away last year BIG Time!

Not to sabatage the thread, but I hope some others chime in.

I think we revert to JB's usual 7 man rotation plus a few min for BMK and Grant.

PG- MCW/Triche
SG- Triche/TC/Mookie if he's back
SF- Fair/JS/Grant
PF- Rak/JS/Grant
C- DC2/Rak/BMK

I see MCW, Triche, TC getting all important minutes in backcourt obviously. JS is first off the bench in frontcourt no matter who comes out. Fair goes out obviously he slides in there, same with Rak. If DC2 goes out Rak slides to C and JS plays the 4. Only foul trouble, emergency, or need to sub 2 guys at once get freshman Grant or a bit less talented BMK in.

This is exactly how I see it once we get into the meat of the schedule. Still Keita as an emergency big is a luxury.

Curious what others think. Could Baye make a good PF.
I think some people are trying to get Rak and DC2 on the floor together then they are individual skills. I can't say I disagree with that thought but if we look at Raks plus minus at PF compared to Center there would be no comparison Center would blow it away last year BIG Time!

Not to sabatage the thread, but I hope some others chime in.
Baye has no offensive skills other than a dunk and he has very poor hands, at least that we've seen in 2 years. He could possibly play some 4 on D but not on O. Rak is a PF that can play C. DC2 is a center offensively and defensively. He might be able to log some minutes at the 4 on offense but no way on defense. If we ever see DC2 and Baye on the floor together you might see them flip flop the 4 & 5 for O&D. And though we all hope and pray it does not happen, there is always the possibility that DC2 gets the freshman Melo/Rak treatment. People tend to forget that Melo (4) and Rak(2) were both rated higher than DC2 (6) coming out of HS. There is no doubt that DC2's offensive game is more developed but is his defense? Unknown right now.

I'd like to see, two minutes a game, a huge lineup of

C - 6'9 Coleman
F - 6'9 Christmas
F - 6'8 Fair
G - 6'8 Southerland
G - 6'5 MCW

Baye has good speed for a big guy but thats really running not quick feet that are needed on the wing in the zone. He has no offensive skills. He hustles his ass off, plays hard, knows were to be position wise in the middle of the zone and can put the ball in the basket when he is right next to it. Decent back up big, great as a 3rd big especially when one of the other bigs can play both the 4 and the 5. I really don't see Baye ever playing the 4, I'd give a slimmed down Coleman a better shot at it because he has really good feet but I think every minute Coleman plays at SU will be at the 5. I see Baye having a dimminished role next season especailly as the season goes on and JB becomes more and more comfortable with Coleman and Christmas at the defensive end.

120 front court minutes. I think in important games they will break down like this.

36 for C (all at the 3)
30 for James (most at the 4 but at the 3 while CJ rests)
27 for Coleman (all at the 5)
27 for Rak (split between the 4 and 5)

My lineup and minutes prediction once BE conference starts. Assuming no Mookie:

1) MCW 30 BT 10
2) BT 22 Cooney 18
3) Fair 25 Southerland 8 Grant 7
4) Christmas 12 Southerland 20 Fair 8
5) Coleman 22 Christmas 10 Keita 8

I think MCW, BT, CJ will be the 4 most minutes played by far