Lineup settled? | Syracusefan.com

Lineup settled?

cuseincincy

All Conference
I don't think so. I think JB has a problem right now where the 5 guys he wants to be the starters may not be the 5 best players. I'm talking specifically about Carey or Goodine and to a lesser extent Sidibe or Dolezaj and/or Guerrier. This will be a better team if Jalen Carey is the starter. I think he is faster, more explosive and maybe a better defender. But my eyes tell me Goodine is a better player, more in control, more consistent and a better shooter. I watch them play and Goodine looks like he belongs and is ready to contribute in any role. I watch Carey and I can't tell if I'm watching the next NBA draft pick or the next Kaleb Joseph (too harsh I know). My gut tells me Goodine eventually takes over this year. If that happens Carey better hope he shoots well enough to stay ahead of Girard because he's coming hard. Whichever can be the better playmaker gets my vote.

The Sidibe, Dolezaj argument is obvious. Sidibe is more of a center than Dolezaj. Dolezaj in my opinion is clearly one of our top 5 players. A little warning for young Mr Guerrier also, this could be you or Doelzaj also. JB wants Quincy to start. I know he is going to be great but he needs to play inside out and more in than out. At least until he gets his feet under him.

I think the primary rotation will be Hughes, Guerrier, Sidibe, Boeheim, Carey, Goodine, Dolezaj, Girard. #9 & 10 will rotate by situation/need between Edwards and Braswell. Likely finishing in that order for total minutes

I don't think so. I think JB has a problem right now where the 5 guys he wants to be the starters may not be the 5 best players. I'm talking specifically about Carey or Goodine and to a lesser extent Sidibe or Dolezaj and/or Guerrier. This will be a better team if Jalen Carey is the starter. I think he is faster, more explosive and maybe a better defender. But my eyes tell me Goodine is a better player, more in control, more consistent and a better shooter. I watch them play and Goodine looks like he belongs and is ready to contribute in any role. I watch Carey and I can't tell if I'm watching the next NBA draft pick or the next Kaleb Joseph (too harsh I know). My gut tells me Goodine eventually takes over this year. If that happens Carey better hope he shoots well enough to stay ahead of Girard because he's coming hard. Whichever can be the better playmaker gets my vote.

The Sidibe, Dolezaj argument is obvious. Sidibe is more of a center than Dolezaj. Dolezaj in my opinion is clearly one of our top 5 players. A little warning for young Mr Guerrier also, this could be you or Doelzaj also. JB wants Quincy to start. I know he is going to be great but he needs to play inside out and more in than out. At least until he gets his feet under him.

I think the primary rotation will be Hughes, Guerrier, Sidibe, Boeheim, Carey, Goodine, Dolezaj, Girard. #9 & 10 will rotate by situation/need between Edwards and Braswell. Likely finishing in that order for total minutes

your last paragraph is how I see it too.

That line-up only has one sub for the front line unless one of the guards play at the bottom of the zone. Foul trouble alone will require more than one sub for the front line. And Guerrier does not look like a 30+ min player yet.

That line-up only has one sub for the front line unless one of the guards play at the bottom of the zone. Foul trouble alone will require more than one sub for the front line. And Guerrier does not look like a 30+ min player yet.

If we play 8.

I think 8-9 is what will happen. I put Girard in the first group because I just think he's going to play no matter what.

he is going to play. But I was responding to the part about only 1 big sub. The 9th will be a big if needed.

I am very concerned about rebounding and hope Braswell can defensive rebound or we will be in trouble. Right now Hughes is leading us in in rebounding and scoring and is going to act as point forward sometimes. At 6'-6" that won't fly against good teams. The freshmen centers are not ready yet.

I am very concerned about rebounding and hope Braswell can defensive rebound or we will be in trouble. Right now Hughes is leading us in in rebounding and scoring and is going to act as point forward sometimes. At 6'-6" that won't fly against good teams. The freshmen centers are not ready yet.

Edwards actually is a decent rebounder from the early looks but is challenged in other areas. Hughes might be undersized height wise but is solid enough I think he will hold his own. Guerrier/Dolezaj and then Braswell are key on the other side of the zone. I think the guards helping on the boards is almost even more important. Saw some of that tonight. It will be one of the biggest areas we have to focus on all season defensively no doubt.

your last paragraph is how I see it too.
Co-sign. Sidibe staying healthy is super important.

the top of the zone gets awwwwwwful small with Girard out there. I think that’s why we heard talk about experimenting with M2M.

Still think this is going to be a fun team to watch...but Wednesday will tell us an awful lot.

there will be games Carey plays himself to the bench. the centers will change every game and marek at center is good for the offense and sometimes on the D. all the FR bigs have issues. but the good thing I think that all but 2 of the guys bring something to the table that useful and somewhat different..

Gerard and Goodine might get beat up by the physical pressure teams but I think they bring some offense .

We really just lack that dominant/physical center that we can rotate in and out. the fact that we can if we want go to Marek and 4 shooters if we need to play the shooting game is a plus. Whether we can play the grind out game is the unknown. We probably get some answers next week

The biggest concern for me is Bourama and Marek both still seem prone to committing a foul a minute. We are going to have games where one of the Frosh have to steal minutes or Braswell.

I would replace Goodine with Girard in your analysis.

I would replace Goodine with Girard in your analysis.
What’s clear to me is that we have a 4 guard rotation. If you’re playing well as a guard you will stay on the floor. The minute you make a mistake or two, JB will be quick with the hook.

I don’t see this as a bad thing, FWIW. Hopefully we get at least two that have a hot hand each night. Hoping that no more than 1 at a time has an off night.

Point Guard will be a revolving door all year. What is clear is Girard is the best offensive option and Carey is the best defensive option. Goodine is somewhere in the middle on both. I think JB is going to play the hot hand. With Carey in the game I suspect that is when we will have Hughes bring the ball up a ton. I suspect Girard will be the closer in tight games as he's going to be our best ft shooter and ball handler against pressure.

Goodine played so much better when he was taken off the ball in the second half. I've seen nothing in two fake games against overmatched teams to suggest he's a point guard in any way. His quick run of buckets in the second half was impressive, though his only way to real playing time is probably at the 1. There are creative ways to solve that (more Elijah handling the ball), but it's kind of a problem.

My guess is that if Carey keeps his defense solid and his reckless turnovers/dumb jumpers to a minimum, he'll hold on to his position.

Goodine played so much better when he was taken off the ball in the second half. I've seen nothing in two fake games against overmatched teams to suggest he's a point guard in any way. His quick run of buckets in the second half was impressive, though his only way to real playing time is probably at the 1. There are creative ways to solve that (more Elijah handling the ball), but it's kind of a problem.

My guess is that if Carey keeps his defense solid and his reckless turnovers/dumb jumpers to a minimum, he'll hold on to his position.
Goodine will be hard to keep off the floor this year. We have two combo guards (JGIII/BG) that can step in to either guard position if the other two are struggling. Great problem to have, unlike the past few years.

Goodine will be hard to keep off the floor this year. We have two combo guards (JGIII/BG) that can step in to either guard position if the other two are struggling. Great problem to have, unlike the past few years.

I ought to stay away from player comps since a) they can be too provocative and b) I honestly haven't seen enough to know what I'm talking about, but Goodine seems a lot like some of our recent combo guards. Maybe a better shooter than Howard and Carter-Williams but not as natural a passer. But we'll see.

Based on what I saw in the first two games, I would love to see him as an instant-offense type of player (like Dion) off the bench. Until this team has a rock-solid starting point guard, though, that obviously won't be his role.

Regarding Girard, he seems tailor-made for that sort of combo role that you described, but I can't yet bring myself to predict how a short freshman's going to play on a zone-defense team. He appears very well-rounded, though, which is something we've missed in all of our guards in recent memory.

I ought to stay away from player comps since a) they can be too provocative and b) I honestly haven't seen enough to know what I'm talking about, but Goodine seems a lot like some of our recent combo guards. Maybe a better shooter than Howard and Carter-Williams but not as natural a passer. But we'll see.

Based on what I saw in the first two games, I would love to see him as an instant-offense type of player (like Dion) off the bench. Until this team has a rock-solid starting point guard, though, that obviously won't be his role.

Regarding Girard, he seems tailor-made for that sort of combo role that you described, but I can't yet bring myself to predict how a short freshman's going to play on a zone-defense team. He appears very well-rounded, though, which is something we've missed in all of our guards in recent memory.
I'll agree to disagree about Goodine and one of us will be proven correct. I like what I saw from Goodine the few times he penetrated he actually made some nice passes. He is more likely to shoot the 3 than Carey. The answer to how Girard will play in the zone is an easy one. Closer. He will play closer to his man when they have the ball.

he want taken off the ball. Yea, Girard brought it up court once or twice and Hughes did once where we ran a set play and Hughes hit Goodine for a 3, but Goodine had the ball in his hands plenty. He made one nice drive where he kicked it out to Girard for a 3. That’s the nice thing about having 3 guys that can play point plus Hughes. Someone gets over played and someone else will handle. Goodine and Girard looked real nice together.

All of the positive talk about Carey reminds me of all of the positive talk about Frank.

All of the positive talk about Carey reminds me of all of the positive talk about Frank.

Not for nothing, but - Frank actually had a pretty solid Jr year.

His Sr year was wildly disappointing, starting with the injury that took forever to heal, and ending in a puff of smoke.

As long as Carey isn’t actively trying to fight our best potential recruits, he’s all right by me.

he want taken off the ball. Yea, Girard brought it up court once or twice and Hughes did once where we ran a set play and Hughes hit Goodine for a 3, but Goodine had the ball in his hands plenty. He made one nice drive where he kicked it out to Girard for a 3. That’s the nice thing about having 3 guys that can play point plus Hughes. Someone gets over played and someone else will handle. Goodine and Girard looked real nice together.

Maybe we're arguing semantics over "taken off the ball," but when Goodine scored 8 of our 10 points and all but broke the game open, each bucket was in a half-court set and in none of them did he bring the ball up, initiate the set, or (to the best of my knowledge) touch the ball until he was in scoring position. Twice he was assisted by Hughes and once by Girard.

I do remember his assist to Girard as well, nice hard dribble to the key and kick-back when the other guard collapsed.

But I was most impressed by his movement and scoring ability when he wasn't running point.

Maybe we're arguing semantics over "taken off the ball," but when Goodine scored 8 of our 10 points and all but broke the game open, each bucket was in a half-court set and in none of them did he bring the ball up, initiate the set, or (to the best of my knowledge) touch the ball until he was in scoring position. Twice he was assisted by Hughes and once by Girard.

I do remember his assist to Girard as well, nice hard dribble to the key and kick-back when the other guard collapsed.

But I was most impressed by his movement and scoring ability when he wasn't running point.

don’t think that’s correct. First regardless of what defines off the ball, each time he came in he was at PG. there were times he was overplayed and even doubled in pressure and we inbounded to someone else.

but he scored 3 baskets. One was where he got a long rebound, dribbled up court, gave it to Marek who then gave it back to Goodine for a layup. His second basket was when Hughes made a steal, took off up court, Goodine went low and came around a screen to the wing and Hughes passed him the ball for a 3. His last basket he was double teamed in the back court so we inbounded to Girard who brought it up, got it to Goodine in the corner who made a nice ball cake to go around his guy and drive the baseline for an athletic reverse layup.

he also made 1FT after he drove the basket and got fouled. Went 1-2.

Not for nothing, but - Frank actually had a pretty solid Jr year.

His Sr year was wildly disappointing, starting with the injury that took forever to heal, and ending in a puff of smoke.

As long as Carey isn’t actively trying to fight our best potential recruits, he’s all right by me.
He just seems to be, for many posters, a glass half full guy, and I didn't see a reason to do so. Hope he does the typical JB sophomore improvement. Would love a tall, fast PG. I did like the shots I saw on the highlights. (Not just that they went in, but how he got the shots.)

He just seems to be, for many posters, a glass half full guy, and I didn't see a reason to do so. Hope he does the typical JB sophomore improvement. Would love a tall, fast PG. I did like the shots I saw on the highlights. (Not just that they went in, but how he got the shots.)

Carey has a nice pull up jumper especially the foul line area. And his 3 point shot looks improved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom