Lineup settled? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lineup settled?

vacancy sign is lit

doghouse-or-kennel-on-orange-background-Download-Royalty-free-Vector-File-EPS-328668.jpg

Goodine played so much better when he was taken off the ball in the second half. I've seen nothing in two fake games against overmatched teams to suggest he's a point guard in any way. His quick run of buckets in the second half was impressive, though his only way to real playing time is probably at the 1. There are creative ways to solve that (more Elijah handling the ball), but it's kind of a problem.

My guess is that if Carey keeps his defense solid and his reckless turnovers/dumb jumpers to a minimum, he'll hold on to his position.
I like all 4 guards. Everyone wants to rag on Carey, but I think he’s the best penetrator of the bunch—even though he still struggles with turnovers. fwiw, so did Scoop. When you’re trying to get in the lane and make something happen, you’re taking a risk. I think Goodine has potential going to the basket as well. TBD on Girard. I think he’s steady but has a ways to go to be a good driver. And that’s an essential skill to have as a PG. Look at Frank last season. He wouldn’t drive the ball into the lane and he became a one dimensional player.

After watching the replays a couple times I am very concerned about the zone. I don't think any of the freshmen are performing well in the zone yet. The guards are giving up penetration too easily, the centers are not protecting the rim, and Guerrier was out of place several times. Virginia will be well prepared to attack a good zone. I am concerned our zone will be sub-par game one.

Love Girard but I remember when James southerland scored 19 in his first college game(exhibition) and then basically didn’t play for the next 2 years. Need to see Girard and Goodine both against legit competition. At this point Carey is far superior to both as long as he brings it mentally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom