Lions' Doug Hogue still growing -- literally | Syracusefan.com

Lions' Doug Hogue still growing -- literally

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard

Here's something you don't hear everyday: Linebacker Doug Hogue is participating in the Detroit Lions minicamp this week after a rare early 20's growth spurt that left him more than an inch taller and 15 pounds heavier than he was last season.

Hogue, a fifth-round draft pick in 2011, was 6-foot-2 and 230 pounds as a rookie. This spring, he is more than 6-foot-3 and weighed in at 245 pounds,according to Tim Twentyman of the Lions' web site.

Hogue, 23, played in 13 games last season and projects as a backup at perhaps all three of the Lions' linebacker positions. It's not out of the question to consider him a possible starter in 2013, when outside linebackers Justin Durant and DeAndre Levy will be eligible for unrestricted free agency.

And now he has the size to do it.

I love Hogue as a player--really hope he has a great NFL career.

And Robinson recruited him (and played him) as a RB, as I recall?

The only reason he came here was to play RB, don't blame Robinson for that.

And Robinson recruited him (and played him) as a RB, as I recall?
guy wanted to be a RB - Robinson promised him he would get that opportunity at SU and he got it. Not like the kid didn't have ability as a RB - had a nice 80 yd TD against Rutgers on a really awful GRob SU team. Luckily Marrone and Shafer were able to convince him that his future was on defense. Win/Win

guy wanted to be a RB - Robinson promised him he would get that opportunity at SU and he got it. Not like the kid didn't have ability as a RB - had a nice 80 yd TD against Rutgers on a really awful GRob SU team. Luckily Marrone and Shafer were able to convince him that his future was on defense. Win/Win
Actually, it's a Win/Win/Win because we'll have a handy Exhibit A available for the next time we want to convince someone that a position change is in his best interest.

Actually, it's a Win/Win/Win because we'll have a handy Exhibit A available for the next time we want to convince someone that a position change is in his best interest.

Exactly my point--I think Marrone has a better grasp on where a player's potential than Robinson ever did. Hope it pays off this season.

Exactly my point--I think Marrone has a better grasp on where a player's potential than Robinson ever did. Hope it pays off this season.

No the only reason he came to SU was we were willing to give him a shot at RB. Penn State and other schools wanted him as a LB.

Here's something you don't hear everyday: Linebacker Doug Hogue is participating in the Detroit Lions minicamp this week after a rare early 20's growth spurt that left him more than an inch taller and 15 pounds heavier than he was last season.

Hogue, a fifth-round draft pick in 2011, was 6-foot-2 and 230 pounds as a rookie. This spring, he is more than 6-foot-3 and weighed in at 245 pounds,according to Tim Twentyman of the Lions' web site.

Hogue, 23, played in 13 games last season and projects as a backup at perhaps all three of the Lions' linebacker positions. It's not out of the question to consider him a possible starter in 2013, when outside linebackers Justin Durant and DeAndre Levy will be eligible for unrestricted free agency.

And now he has the size to do it.
highly unusual to have that late a growth spurt. It's more likely the one time he was measured later in the day and the next time in the morning. When it comes to athletes they want to always look as tall as possible and when I deal with many athletes I do heading either to college and less often to a shot at the pros, I always tell them to get measured in the morning first thing as early as possible vs. later in the day.

Why? well based on the same reason old people shrink, that being the discs in the spine rehydrate at night, fatten up and provide up to an extra inch in height in the early a.m. after a good nights sleep vs. being measured later in the day when lifes compressive forces compress the water out of them. Temporarily so when your sub say 50, not so much later on in life when lifes challenges permanently change the internal consistency and architecture of the spinal discs for most.

It's rooted in the same reason all should get their spinal MRI's at night when you get them looking at their worst or a more accurate and truer indication of how bad things can be making a false negative scan less likely, vs. the early morning when they rehydrate, fatten up possibly giving a faulty impression and missing potential problems.

Good for Hogue, love the kid as part of the dynamic duo at LB we had their with Smith.

Had a few already in Tebucky Jones & Kevin Johnson - Both had VERY GOOD pro careers after a position switch at 'Cuse.

Granted they were more than a decade ago.

There have been several more, I'm just too lazy to start working on that list right now.

highly unusual to have that late a growth spurt. It's more likely the one time he was measured later in the day and the next time in the morning. When it comes to athletes they want to always look as tall as possible and when I deal with many athletes I do heading either to college and less often to a shot at the pros, I always tell them to get measured in the morning first thing as early as possible vs. later in the day.

Why? well based on the same reason old people shrink, that being the discs in the spine rehydrate at night, fatten up and provide up to an extra inch in height in the early a.m. after a good nights sleep vs. being measured later in the day when lifes compressive forces compress the water out of them. Temporarily so when your sub say 50, not so much later on in life when lifes challenges permanently change the internal consistency and architecture of the spinal discs for most.

It's rooted in the same reason all should get their spinal MRI's at night when you get them looking at their worst or a more accurate and truer indication of how bad things can be making a false negative scan less likely, vs. the early morning when they rehydrate, fatten up possibly giving a faulty impression and missing potential problems.

Good for Hogue, love the kid as part of the dynamic duo at LB we had their with Smith.

Personal experience. At 27 years old, I grew an inch taller and my shoe size increased 1 size. Friends commented that I seemed taller and my shoes all felt too tight suddenly. I remember talking to my Dad about it and he said the same thing happened to him at that age. We'll see if my son does the same.