Liverpool end's regular season 20-0 | Syracusefan.com

Liverpool end's regular season 20-0

CousCuse

Comin in Hot
Liverpool ends regular season a perfect 20-0

NewLiverpoolboysbasketball.jpg

Liverpool boys basketball ends regular season with a perfect 20-0 record.
By Jared Bomba | jbomba@syracuse.com
on February 10, 2018 8:51 PM, updated February 10, 2018 10:19 PM

• 02/10 - 3:00 PM Boys Basketball Final
    Liverpool
    Rochester Aquinas
Complete Box Score »
With a 67-53 win over Rochester Aquinas on Saturday - the team's second victory in as many days - Liverpool boys basketball finished off a perfect regular season with a spotless 20-0 record.

"It's hard work and dedication, playing through adversity," head coach Ryan Blackwell said. "To come together at the beginning and go all the way through is a really difficult thing."

Two wins in two days to finish of the regular-season slate was a last dose of regular-season adversity for the Warriors, who defeated Baldwinsville 85-70 last night before traveling to Rochester this morning. But Blackwell noted that his team is used to dealing with obstacles at this point in the season, citing a series of injuries to key players.

"Regardless of whoever went down, collectively we had enough talent to get through it," Blackwell said. "We are still banged up, so its good that we have 10 days off for guys to rest and get healthy."

Blackwell acknowledged that a 20-0 record puts a target on his team's back. But that also isn't new to the Warriors, who Blackwell said have the ability to thrive under pressure.

"These guys know now that they can't slip up, one loss and we are done. We have enough guys with experience that know what it takes," Blackwell said, mentioning his team's trip the the state semifinals last season. "They are motivated, and they always step up. It's a unique team with a unique mentality."

Blackwell and the Warriors will learn their playoff path in the coming days.

I’ve seen several of their games because they’re leading scorer, Naz Johnson, is my neighbor and grew up playing hoops in my driveway. People here would love watching them play. Full court pressure, running up and down the court, about 6 players that can hit a 3. Just a fun team to watch. Ryan does a great job. I just wonder how long before he heads to a college assistant job.

That Aquinas game has me worried seeing Naz only scored 4 points. Hope he didn’t get hurt. Haven’t seen him yet. He had been averaging over 18ppg and almost 25ppg since Pride got hurt.

I’ve seen several of their games because they’re leading scorer, Naz Johnson, is my neighbor and grew up playing hoops in my driveway. People here would love watching them play. Full court pressure, running up and down the court, about 6 players that can hit a 3. Just a fun team to watch. Ryan does a great job. I just wonder how long before he heads to a college assistant job.

That Aquinas game has me worried seeing Naz only scored 4 points. Hope he didn’t get hurt. Haven’t seen him yet. He had been averaging over 18ppg and almost 25ppg since Pride got hurt.

Does Naz have more of a future in football or basketball? Any idea of his plans after high school?

Does Naz have more of a future in football or basketball? Any idea of his plans after high school?

I talk to him once a week or so. He hasn’t decided. I would have said basketball last year but a month ago it was football. Now he’s back in the limbo stage. He loves both. He really wants to play low d1 in either sport and has had more interest from the football side. Numerous d2 b-ball offers. My guess is he’ll go to prep school for basketball and try to improve his outside game to get better offers. He’s one of those kids who’s mainly played inside but at 6’3-6’4 he’s a wing in college. Ryan’s allowed him to expand his game and will hit 1-2 threes a game.

Don't think he's hurt, and that's from my insiders on the job. ;)

They have had a lot of minor injuries to work through this season, and the nasty sprain to Pride. I think playing without Pride really raised the level of everyone else's game. It was probably a blessing in disguise for the post season. Time for Pool to bring it all home!

Would like to see Ryan get a spot next time one opens on staff.

Legit coach

Done a great job w Liverpool

Blackwell’s the real deal. Maybe he takes over lemoyne once beilein lands a g5 job?

FWIW, in this weeks state rankings Liverpool is #3 behind #1 Long Island Lutheran and #2 Christ the King.

Liverpool ends regular season a perfect 20-0

NewLiverpoolboysbasketball.jpg

Liverpool boys basketball ends regular season with a perfect 20-0 record.
By Jared Bomba | jbomba@syracuse.com
on February 10, 2018 8:51 PM, updated February 10, 2018 10:19 PM

• 02/10 - 3:00 PM Boys Basketball Final
    Liverpool
    Rochester Aquinas
Complete Box Score »
With a 67-53 win over Rochester Aquinas on Saturday - the team's second victory in as many days - Liverpool boys basketball finished off a perfect regular season with a spotless 20-0 record.

"It's hard work and dedication, playing through adversity," head coach Ryan Blackwell said. "To come together at the beginning and go all the way through is a really difficult thing."

Two wins in two days to finish of the regular-season slate was a last dose of regular-season adversity for the Warriors, who defeated Baldwinsville 85-70 last night before traveling to Rochester this morning. But Blackwell noted that his team is used to dealing with obstacles at this point in the season, citing a series of injuries to key players.

"Regardless of whoever went down, collectively we had enough talent to get through it," Blackwell said. "We are still banged up, so its good that we have 10 days off for guys to rest and get healthy."

Blackwell acknowledged that a 20-0 record puts a target on his team's back. But that also isn't new to the Warriors, who Blackwell said have the ability to thrive under pressure.

"These guys know now that they can't slip up, one loss and we are done. We have enough guys with experience that know what it takes," Blackwell said, mentioning his team's trip the the state semifinals last season. "They are motivated, and they always step up. It's a unique team with a unique mentality."

Blackwell and the Warriors will learn their playoff path in the coming days.

Gross. :)

Blackwell’s the real deal. Maybe he takes over lemoyne once beilein lands a g5 job?

Not out of the realm of possibilities. I think Beilein has 1 or 2 years max at Le Moyne. He'd probably have to decide between being a lower-level D1 assistant or running his own program as a D2 head coach and hopefully parlaying that into a lower-level D1 head coaching gig or a higher-level D1 assistant gig.

HC no. AC possibly.

I feel like we missed the boat with Herman Harried, hope we don't pass on Blackwell now that he's showing the chops [he had also coached internationally at the professional level].

Bumping this year old thread just to say Nas committed yesterday to Southern Connecticut State to play football. His dream was to play D1 and it wasn’t going to happen in b-ball as a 6’3 stretch 4. But now he’s a D1 (FCS) football player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jennie87

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom