Locksley Canned @ UNM...... | Syracusefan.com

Locksley Canned @ UNM......

newmexicuse

All Conference
Most here probably do not care about New Mexico football. But, man this Locksley made Robinson look like a great hire. He was 2 & 26 on the field.

Many off field incidents and allegations including sexual harrassment, punching out an assistant coach, filmgate incidents pertaining to his activities in a bar, & the latest that was the coup de grace - loaning a 19 year old his car & the kid gets a DUI. Unclear what his relationship was to the kid (recruit ??).

At least Robby never embarrassed us off the field.

The part that bugs me the most in this is that Locksley will get a settlement on his contract !!!

WHY - doesn't all of this off-field stuff violate some sort of a morals or conduct clause ???

No question the combination of on-field failure and off-field incidents that embarrassed the university made him the worst coach in America.

Anyways, it pains me as a New Mexico taxpayer to pay this clown off.

Weren't there some on the board hoping for Locksey as a replacement for Grob?
I know a lot don't like Gross but he's done a yeoman's job picking up the entire athletic department and I don't think there's much to complain about other than Grob and he corrected that with the right hire the second time around.

It's about time. I don't know if there's ever been a greater disaster as a head football coach at a D1 school than this guy. Just mind boggling.

So many people on this board wanted Locksley as the coach, he was a tremendous recruiter of DC Metro area, and he had done big things at Illinois. Glad the Athletic Department did it's due diligence on this one, that could have been a disaster.

One of his biggest problems was that he took a HC gig at a school that most kids on the East Coast don't even know exists. And the sad thing is, he continued to try to use his DC Metro recruiting contacts to lure kids out to New Mexico of all places. Like that was going to work with any consistency. He mostly pulled in whatever scraps were left after everyone East of the Mississippi and all the National recruiting schools had their pick.

His personal, moral and coaching problems aside, he would have been so much better served waiting out for a MAC offer or at least an offer at a school on the Atlantic Coast. Considering his recruiting ties, he should have at least been able to recruit well had he landed at Temple, ECU, Marshall, one of the directional michigans, etc. Just a bad combination all around at New Mexico.

So many people on this board wanted Locksley as the coach, he was a tremendous recruiter of DC Metro area, and he had done big things at Illinois. Glad the Athletic Department did it's due diligence on this one, that could have been a disaster.
I was one of the first on this forum to say that GRob wasn't going to make it . It was maybe his third or fourth game as Cuse coach (& the first game I saw with him as Coach) & we were getting trounced. The fact of the trouncing wasn't the reason...sometimes the talent level just isn't there. The reason I felt GRob wouldn't make it was the kids were not playing smart, they were quitting on plays, & I saw GRob on the sidelines several times with his head down...not trying to be enthusiastic & spurring the kids on. Most said I was nuts back then for posting what I did & said GRob deserved a chance. It was the same deal with Locksley. Yeah, it may take several years to attract the talent & really get a program turned around, but in my mind you can tell whether or not that will happen by seeing how the kids perform in the first few games of a new coach's tenure.

With Morrone it is the exact opposite. yes, we were very undermanned talentwise (& still are to some extent), but the kids played hard & smart & don't quit on plays. Yes, it will take Doug a few years to get the talent upgraded sufficiently, but I really believe that it will happen with this guy.