LOL Quote from CNNSI Article on WV and Expansion | Syracusefan.com

LOL Quote from CNNSI Article on WV and Expansion

It's also a testament to how horribly inept the Big East has been in running their football conference.

SEVEN of the eight schools have been proven valuable enough to be added to other leagues, but the SEVEN together weren't valuable????

Ugh.

It's also a testament to how horribly inept the Big East has been in running their football conference.

SEVEN of the eight schools have been proven valuable enough to be added to other leagues, but the SEVEN together weren't valuable????

Ugh.

Blame the Providence Cabal.

At least in the Big-12 everyone is Texas and OSU's b****, the two programs that generate almost all the money. In the Big East, the football schools had to answer to Providence. Think about it for a second.

Ugh.
Incredible Point Scooch. Not only were 7 valuable enough to add, they were added even though it meant each school in their new respective conferences would bear a huge amount of extra travel expense and split their profits by another share.

Sorry, should have yelled SIX! But the point stands. ;)

Ugh.

Very good point. Pretty much closes the case on whether a hybrid conference model could ever work. The answer is a resounding NO.

"Without West Virginia, only one of the original eight schools that made up the Big East's football conference when it began in 1991 will remain: Rutgers."

Any more questions about your desirability, Jersey State fans?

It just pisses me off because by the late 90s/early 00s the BEFC was a damn good league. We had teams play in back-to-back national title games, and as strong of a top 6 as any other conference.

I remember arguing vociferously on whatever incarnation of this board we were in at the time about how that was the time for the football schools either to break away, or aggressively pursue expansion. There were lots of signs that FSU, Clemson & GaTech would have given a plan a listen then, and adding Louisville would have created a really attractive 12 team league.

Might not have worked out, but from all accounts the only BE plan was to offer creating a football confederation with the ACC.

Wasted chances.

Rutgers - last kid picked. Oh wait we're full - you're gonna have to sit this out.

It's also a testament to how horribly inept the Big East has been in running their football conference.Ugh.

BE has had all this time to build up other teams they want to add now.

Just like South Florida and UConn took huge leaps, other schools if bumped to AQ 5 years ago or more would make the defections not matter.

Not to mention, if you go back even further and add PSU to the list.

Harvard business school should do a case study about how eastern football was sliced and diced and never was able to grow into a pretty great league.

PSU
Miami
VPI
WVU
SU
Pitt
BC
RU
UConn
Louisville
Cincy
USF

^^^^Miami and USF do NOT belong on that list. That is where the ship sailed south, so to speak.

Anyway, the ACC North will basically be the old BE under new management. See, the system works. :rolleyes::cool:

was rutgers one of the originals? i guess maybe for football? i thought fred grunniger turned down the big east originally--please correct if i am wrong

TippHill - They aren't talking about the original basketball conference. The Big East Football conference happened much later and Rutgers was one of the origianl members of the football conference.

Original FB members:

SU
Pitt
WV
Temple
VT
Miami
Rutgers
BC

It just pisses me off because by the late 90s/early 00s the BEFC was a damn good league. We had teams play in back-to-back national title games, and as strong of a top 6 as any other conference.

I remember arguing vociferously on whatever incarnation of this board we were in at the time about how that was the time for the football schools either to break away, or aggressively pursue expansion. There were lots of signs that FSU, Clemson & GaTech would have given a plan a listen then, and adding Louisville would have created a really attractive 12 team league.

Might not have worked out, but from all accounts the only BE plan was to offer creating a football confederation with the ACC.

Wasted chances.
I think the BE Football model was flawed from the beginning. Hindsight is 20/20, but we all know now that 8 schools was not a viable model long term.

Louisville was an available add at any time, and I'll give you that one - they made sense. They should have been added long before Miami, BC and Va Tech left.

I remember the rumors about FSU, Clemson, and GA Tech, but if they don't leave, it essentially puts the Big East in the same predicament it was in unless PSU and ND joined, which was never happening.

It would be sweet to go our on a winning note vs wvu and the trophy stay with us forever. Also anyone at the game see the crying wvu fan leave from section 114

It would be sweet to go our on a winning note vs wvu and the trophy stay with us forever. Also anyone at the game see the crying wvu fan leave from section 114
No!! This HAS to be on YouTube somewhere!

Wasted chances.

It was a good league and it was CBS worthy, it was ESPN Prime Time worthy. But Miami's probation, and Rutgers/Temple failure to even attempt to compete (ever) didn't do the league any favors. Fitting that Rutgers is all that is left.