LOL Syracuse.com strikes again | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

LOL Syracuse.com strikes again

This new crew has done a great job with recruiting coverage. But they need to give everything more time. Seems like they just did an article on SU's recruiting ranking in the ACC.

There's a number of other recruiting stories they could be doing without driving home the same negative theme.

There isn't anything glaringly wrong with this article or most of the reporting this year. Obviously I'd still rather have Rahme, and Cohen's comments on personnel issues were a definite mistake. But it doesn't serve us to have a local media outlet that is the constant lapdog of this program. If anything, the local media should be extremely critical of how this program has been run recently. This program has been a mess for most of the last decade (some would argue longer) and sticking our heads in the sand about this stuff does us no good. A critical local media will help us confront some of the major problems we face.

On the current topic, stars aren't everything, and Marrone was a great hidden-talent evaluator, but by the metrics of the day Syracuse's recruiting has been abysmal and there's no hiding from it.

There isn't anything glaringly wrong with this article or most of the reporting this year. Obviously I'd still rather have Rahme, and Cohen's comments on personnel issues were a definite mistake. But it doesn't serve us to have a local media outlet that is the constant lapdog of this program. If anything, the local media should be extremely critical of how this program has been run recently. This program has been a mess for most of the last decade (some would argue longer) and sticking our heads in the sand about this stuff does us no good. A critical local media will help us confront some of the major problems we face.

On the current topic, stars aren't everything, and Marrone was a great hidden-talent evaluator, but by the metrics of the day Syracuse's recruiting has been abysmal and there's no hiding from it.
Sure, they can be critical sometimes but do it on facts... play on the field...actual coaching decisions... not some silly numbers assigned by someone who may or may not have ever watched the kid play... not some big story about how we are now e.g. ranked 55 in recruiting and we are pining "Oh, if we could only be ranked in the top 20 for recruiting! That would be wonderful" It's all BS...means nothing. As for Syracuse recruiting being "abysmal", how is that so? If we recruited so bad, how can the team of abysmal players beat up on WVU in the pinstripe bowl and L-Ville last year. Surely, if they were "abysmal", we'd have won maybe 2-3 games...that would back up your "abysmal" claim. The recruits are as good as they end up playing on the college field... they are not as good as some doofy rating given to them prior to stepping on the field in college. Would you say last year's team was "abysmal" or better than "abysmal"?

Reading comprehension. "by the metrics of the day Syracuse's recruiting has been abysmal" As in the recruiting rankings.

Marrone was a great talent evaluator and picked up some great hidden gems. He also knew how to get the most out of his players.

Reading comprehension. "by the metrics of the day Syracuse's recruiting has been abysmal" As in the recruiting rankings.

Marrone was a great talent evaluator and picked up some great hidden gems. He also knew how to get the most out of his players.
Similarly to any quantitative analysis "metrics of the day" can be summed-up by garbage-in equals garbage-out.

Making such declarative statements as "Syracuse's recruiting has been abysmal" based on the "metrics of the day" (which hold very little validity) can make one look clueless. Just saying.

Just a sad state of affairs than an article like this was written, it really is. We all need to support the program, not take pot shos at it. I get the objective journalism viewpoint but everyone of these articles has a strong tinge of pot shots and attempting to run down a program that has been partially rebuilt but is still fragile and could go either way, I just don't get it. It's better for the entire community if Syracuse football is winning football games, it just is, They shouldn't be taking pot shots and running the program down whenever it's convenient

Similarly to any quantitative analysis "metrics of the day" can be summed-up by garbage-in equals garbage-out.

Making such declarative statements as "Syracuse's recruiting has been abysmal" based on the "metrics of the day" (which hold very little validity) can make one look clueless. Just saying.

Well said. Kind of like this is an anti-smoking advertisement:

wvchewtobacco.jpg

So you are saying that the best judge of potential talent is the coach and getting the kids to work hard. I agree 100%.

Whether you agree with those metrics or not is one thing, but many do and they exist for a reason. And based on them, Syracuse has been abysmal.

Of course you would agree with it since I am convinced you are either Cohen or Carlson, or a Cohen/Carlson combo using this handle.

Many sports programs have similar problems with their local newspapers, or even student run papers (thinking of Charlie Weiss here). I'm guessing it is mostly to get more people talking about their business.
When I lived in SC, Spurrier was always in some sort of drama with a writer at the State newspaper, and even kicked him out of new conferences, and tried to get him fired, so this doesn't seem so bad (though they could do a bit more research).
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...orris-south-carolina-calls-out/1#.UjRVfX_AEyg

Personally I LOVE when a little geek, who likely last played football when he was a 3rd string CB on his Pop Warner team in 6th grade, breaks down youtube highlights of recruits with a harshly critical eye.

QUALITY product right there!