LOL the new Big East | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

LOL the new Big East

35% probability of a win over Fl St? Oh Lord

That's based on Sagarin Rating which have them as 16 and us as 12. KenPom has Florida St at 34 and us at 14. Right now on the road it would be close to a pickem according to KP (so 50%).

I personally have nothing but love for the current Big East (minus G'town). We owe some of our emergence from regional to national power in the early 80s to being in a conference with those schools. I can't bring myself to hate on them.
That's how I feel also, the only time I smirk is when I see what kind of position UConn got themselves in.

Not to be negative but the ACC isn't exactly setting the world on fire either with some pretty bad losses. The ACC so far seems very top heavy.
It has been topheavy for the recent past. Bringing in SU and Pitt was to help in that regard.

As of this morning, the Big East would have 3 teams clearly in the tournament (Villanova, Georgetown, Creighton) and 4 teams on the bubble (Providence, Butler, Marquette, Xavier). Assume one of them gets in. Not a bad haul for a 10 team conference.

Quick as of projections are fairly easy to do, Use the following site.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/index2.html

It essentially takes what you have done to date (via your Sagarin Rating) and converts it to your full schedule. Its not without faults, but a very simple tool for quick assessments for where you are tracking based on how you have played to date.

Ouch, 11-7 conference record and very close to being on the bubble (27th team for an at large is bubble territory). Based on this site, we are one of the most overrated teams of all time right now.

'Nova is doing really well. Butler's only lost to #5 Oklahoma State. Providence has only lost to Maryland, they play Kentucky tonight. Marquette played pooly against Ohio State, it was similar to SU's Georgetown game last year in DC.

Regular season hoops means next to nothing. A team can not win a single game all season, but win the national championship.

Well, no, they actually can't. As they say about the Lottery, "You gotta be in it to win it." And you ain't getting into it without some quality wins and not too many What losses, especially in a watered down league like the new Big East. How many bids does the A-10 get?

As of this morning, the Big East would have 3 teams clearly in the tournament (Villanova, Georgetown, Creighton) and 4 teams on the bubble (Providence, Butler, Marquette, Xavier). Assume one of them gets in. Not a bad haul for a 10 team conference.

Quick as of projections are fairly easy to do, Use the following site.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/index2.html

It essentially takes what you have done to date (via your Sagarin Rating) and converts it to your full schedule. Its not without faults, but a very simple tool for quick assessments for where you are tracking based on how you have played to date.

If a 4-2 Georgetown team that just kicked their best player off the team is ranked higher than us, it's clearly too early to take it seriously. Same size is still too small.

That's based on Sagarin Rating which have them as 16 and us as 12. KenPom has Florida St at 34 and us at 14. Right now on the road it would be close to a pickem according to KP (so 50%).

Sagarin has us at 27th, as I read it. Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's what it looked like to me. Or maybe I misunderstood your post.

jncuse said:
As of this morning, the Big East would have 3 teams clearly in the tournament (Villanova, Georgetown, Creighton) and 4 teams on the bubble (Providence, Butler, Marquette, Xavier). Assume one of them gets in. Not a bad haul for a 10 team conference. Quick as of projections are fairly easy to do, Use the following site. http://www.rpiforecast.com/index2.html It essentially takes what you have done to date (via your Sagarin Rating) and converts it to your full schedule. Its not without faults, but a very simple tool for quick assessments for where you are tracking based on how you have played to date.

That site makes no sense. They predict we will lose 8 games but if you look at each game separately, only 5 games do we have less than a 50% chance to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

That site makes no sense. They predict we will lose 8 games but if you look at each game separately, only 5 games do we have less than a 50% chance to win.

If you took three games where the odds of winning are 65%, you would be expected to lose one of those three games. If you add up the odds in each game, that is where you get the number of expected wins.

Cusefannotindc said:
If you took three games where the odds of winning are 65%, you would be expected to lose one of those three games. If you add up the odds in each game, that is where you get the number of expected wins.

I understand the math. But I disagree with how it's applied.

Well, no, they actually can't. As they say about the Lottery, "You gotta be in it to win it." And you ain't getting into it without some quality wins and not too many What losses, especially in a watered down league like the new Big East. How many bids does the A-10 get?
You get an automatic bid if you win your conference tournament. Just last season a 15 regular season win Liberty team won the Big South tournament and got into the NCAA. The team with the least amount of wins to make the NCAA tournament is George Washington. In 1961 GWU won 9 of 25 regular season games, upset West Virginia in the SoCon championship game, and got into the NCAA.

A-10 had 5 NCAA tournament bids last season.

Ouch, 11-7 conference record and very close to being on the bubble (27th team for an at large is bubble territory). Based on this site, we are one of the most overrated teams of all time right now.

Its not that close to the bubble really. But I certainly hope we end up better.

If a 4-2 Georgetown team that just kicked their best player off the team is ranked higher than us, it's clearly too early to take it seriously. Same size is still too small.

Certainly not taking it too seriously right now for individual team rankings. There will be aberrations as you say because the sample size is just too small.

But in terms of assessing conferences it is starting to get somewhat more relevant. We are through about half the OOC games, and OOC performance is the critical factor in conference RPI, which of course drives the number of quality victories attainable in conference play.

So I do find some value in assessing how many teams a conference has at the top, without getting too caught up in the indiivual teams for now. As I said its a quick view of how a conference is doing.

Last edited:
Sagarin has us at 27th, as I read it. Maybe I'm mistaken, but that's what it looked like to me. Or maybe I misunderstood your post.

Sagarin has us 12th. The 27th is the predicted RPI ranking.

There is some significance in that. The schedule is bringing our RPI down, due to the difficultlty the ACC has had to date. It will hurt our top 50 victories.

Thankfully we are the point as a program that we are not worried about the bubble, but it could impact seed just a bit.

Last edited:
The new Big East is doing quite well, not as good as the old Big East but still good despite the number of people trying to bury it. With that said, they had a bad Sunday going 1-5 with Depaul over Oregon State the only win.

If Providence had their whole team they might've upset Kentucky. With their best player (Dunn) probably out for the year, if the 2 suspended players don't play this season PC could finish 8th behind 7 solid teams.

I have enjoyed watching our old rivals on FoxSports1. They are getting some great national exposure from their tv deal.

The new Big East is doing quite well, not as good as the old Big East but still good despite the number of people trying to bury it. With that said, they had a bad Sunday going 1-5 with Depaul over Oregon State the only win.

If Providence had their whole team they might've upset Kentucky. With their best player (Dunn) probably out for the year, if the 2 suspended players don't play this season PC could finish 8th behind 7 solid teams.

People are trying to preach a Providence revival, but until Cooley is able to recruit kids who actually qualify and make it to campus, it's all smoke and mirrors (and the false expectations of Winfred Walton-like recruiting classes).

cuseattle said:
I have enjoyed watching our old rivals on FoxSports1. They are getting some great national exposure from their tv deal.

I love the Fox1 coverage! The weird thing is I believe they already sold their contract toNBC sports starting next season which was a head scratcher when I heard it.