Longevity of College Football Coaches | Syracusefan.com

Longevity of College Football Coaches

cto

Administrator
I stumbled upon this chart while looking for something else. Scroll down in the "First Season" column to see when a coach got his current job. Dino is tied for 33 in longevity among 129 D-1 coaches... or basically in the top quartile.

Click on the heading in "first season" column to re-arrange the names in chronological order.

College coaching is a job with a short half-life.

Last edited:
Dino has the lowest winning % of all Power 5 Football coaches since 2016 when he came here by a fairly decent amount. I really hope he can pull through next year with a decent season and think he's making a big gamble by not bringing in a new OL coach, as that's been the most consistent spot holding him/us back during his tenure.

Last edited:
Just gives us 10 wins next season and I won’t care

While I'm sure it wasn't your intention, hearing someone in your position make an observation like this after the season we had is somewhat...intriguing.
Just a random observation as a fan. Please don't read anything into it. (This is why i am hesitant to post anything on several subjects).

Last edited:
And every coach that has been there longer then Dino has a better record. In fact I only saw 2 teams that had coaches longer then we have had Dino and had worse records then him. Let’s see how next year goes

this is a weird argument to have without strength of schedule factored in

Dino has the lowest winning % of all Power 5 Football coaches since 2016 when he came here by a fairly decent amount. I really hope he can pull through next year with a decent season and think he's making a big gamble by not bringing in a new OL coach, as that's been the most consistent spot holding him/us back during his tenure.

how many of those coaches have beaten Clemson and had a 10 win season? Pitt maybe, Alabama, Ohio St, FSU maybe.

people act like his longevity here exists without those two things. I agree that this season is important, but most coaches are gone without those two things

how many of those coaches have beaten Clemson and had a 10 win season? Pitt maybe, Alabama, Ohio St, FSU maybe.

people act like his longevity here exists without those two things. I agree that this season is important, but most coaches are gone without those two things

Stop living in the past my friend.

a 10 win season only goes so far

I know this is going to sound strange, but the competitive games we often have with Clemson is kind of a double-edged sword for me. Why do we always play so much better against them then we do against everyone else? It almost seems like our guys get up for them, but not as much for everyone else. It also shows we have had some talent, but seems to symbolize Dino's tenure to this point (in his words, ironically enough) in that we have been occasionally great and not consistently good.
I really want Dino to succeed-He seems like a fabulous human being. He needs to take a critical look at what's been holding us back and ready to change accordingly if he wants to be successful. I think he's done so on the Defensive side. He now needs to do so on the offensive side in my opinion.

I know this is going to sound strange, but the competitive games we often have with Clemson is kind of a double-edged sword for me. Why do we always play so much better against them then we do against everyone else? It almost seems like our guys get up for them, but not as much for everyone else. It also shows we have had some talent, but seems to symbolize Dino's tenure to this point (in his words, ironically enough) in that we have been occasionally great and not consistently good.
I really want Dino to succeed-He seems like a fabulous human being. He needs to take a critical look at what's been holding us back and ready to change accordingly if he wants to be successful. I think he's done so on the Defensive side. He now needs to do so on the offensive side in my opinion.

It actually makes us look like a FBS team. This is our big game for the year but from Clemsons perspective they don’t take the game too seriously. Then we end up with a win and it’s our fallback for years why this team can be great. That’s what loser programs like Rutgers do. We’ve fallen to that level.

It actually makes us look like a FBS team. This is our big game for the year but from Clemsons perspective they don’t take the game too seriously. Then we end up with a win and it’s our fallback for years why this team can be great. That’s what loser programs like Rutgers do. We’ve fallen to that level.
Yup the one off upsets are cool but if you aren’t consistent then you’re nothing.

You mean “being consistently good instead of occasionally great”?

This doesn't directly relate to Joyce's post but:

Since the beginning of Ben's tenure we have had 8 coaches. Only two had worse winning percentages than Dino, and that INCLUDES Dino's 10 win season.

In the past 100 years we have had 15 coaches and only three have had a worse winning percentage than Dino, again including his 10 win season.

I won't comment further but it is kind of eye-opening. I don't want to hear about strength of schedule either. Each coach was playing competition that was appropriate for the level we were at and they were making a pittance of what Dino makes.

This doesn't directly relate to Joyce's post but:

Since the beginning of Ben's tenure we have had 8 coaches. Only two had worse winning percentages than Dino, and that INCLUDES Dino's 10 win season.

In the past 100 years we have had 15 coaches and only three have had a worse winning percentage than Dino, again including his 10 win season.

I won't comment further but it is kind of eye-opening. I don't want to hear about strength of schedule either. Each coach was playing competition that was appropriate for the level we were at and they were making a pittance of what Dino makes.
My 2 cents, trying to compare coaching records over the last 100 years is a waste of time. I’m not even talking about strength of schedule, the last 20 years of football Is completely different from any other time, the facilities, the resources, the fan support, the competition, the recruiting. lets compare dinos record during the last 20 years, it’s it’s just as bad. But so are 3 out of the last 4 coaches we have hired.

So this brings up a larger issue, have we made bad hires? Is the administration not supportive, why can’t football at SU be good again? There are a host of issues. One thing I do know, is that this job is not a 4 year job, any coach needs to have time to turn this dumpster fire around. Yes we are a dumpster fire, SU Football sucks and has for 20 years. Is 6 years enough for a coach? Should it be 8? Should it be 4? Im Supportive of giving Dino another year and probably another after that but I really want to see how next year goes.

We are a private school with limited support, Syracuse is probably one of the least desirable jobs in P5. If anything we need to show that we have realistic expectations and give our coaches time to win. If anything that will help show prospective coaches that we stand bye them.