look around the acc | Syracusefan.com

look around the acc

pearl31

in cahoots
***disclaimer - not saying we should be satisfied with how the team played tonight, or that it was some kind of "good" loss***
GaTech lost tonight at home to wright st (to go along with an earlier home loss to Grambling), NC st just lost at home to uncAshville, unc just lost at home to Wofford, notre dame lost at home to Ball St and neutral to a bad Indiana team... and so on (not just in the acc, either)...
lots of good teams losing to lesser teams already this year... it happens...
let's take care of Murphy's boys on Wed and we can call 11-2 preconf pretty good all things considered

***disclaimer - not saying we should be satisfied with how the team played tonight, or that it was some kind of "good" loss***
GaTech lost tonight at home to wright st (to go along with an earlier home loss to Grambling), NC st just lost at home to uncAshville, unc just lost at home to Wofford, notre dame lost at home to Ball St and neutral to a bad Indiana team... and so on (not just in the acc, either)...
lots of good teams losing to lesser teams already this year... it happens...
let's take care of Murphy's boys on Wed and we can call 11-2 preconf pretty good all things considered
Come on, get with the program. This is at best a 3-15 ACC team.

Yeah I still think JB gets us to 10 ACC wins. The top teams aren’t as good. Louisville and Notre Dame were especially overrated.

Yeah, when I watch us play and just generally think “ACC” I don’t think that way. Honestly, eye test makes me think we could be like a 6-12 type team.

But when I go through it game by game, I convince myself we can win 10. I’m not sure we have the firepower to get the “good wins” last years team got in conference. But I think we can get 9 or 10. We could really use a healthy Sidibe soon though. We looked cooked once Marek and Chukwu fouled out. Think we would’ve won with them in there.

Yeah, when I watch us play and just generally think “ACC” I don’t think that way. Honestly, eye test makes me think we could be like a 6-12 type team.

But when I go through it game by game, I convince myself we can win 10. I’m not sure we have the firepower to get the “good wins” last years team got in conference. But I think we can get 9 or 10. We could really use a healthy Sidibe soon though. We looked cooked once Marek and Chukwu fouled out. Think we would’ve won with them in there.

I think we beat Notre Dame this year. They’re clearly not the same team without Beachem. Louisville has issues scoring like we do, but unfortunately we only go there. I think we can beat UNC at home. That games a tossup. I also kind of think JB has figured out Virginia/Bennett and we get them twice. We will beat them at least once and you know they can’t score either.

I think we beat Notre Dame this year. They’re clearly not the same team without Beachem. Louisville has issues scoring like we do, but unfortunately we only go there. I think we can beat UNC at home. That games a tossup. I also kind of think JB has figured out Virginia/Bennett and we get them twice. We will beat them at least once and you know they can’t score either.

And those teams are looking at our performance against UConn and saying, "Can't wait to go to Cuse, they suck." We should't take too much out of any single game.

I think the way college basketball is today with the constant shuffling of lineups (year to year) it makes for a lot more inconsistency of performance. So a good team like UNC may go out on any given night and lay an egg against a Wofford. That doesn't mean that that is who they are, just that they are capable on any given night of having an off performance.

Unfortunately, those off performances seem to occur less frequently against "name" opponents.

St. Bonnie isn't a lesser team. They have an NBA guard and will win their conference and be in the dance. Could see them as a Cinderella Sweet 16 team.

And those teams are looking at our performance against UConn and saying, "Can't wait to go to Cuse, they suck." We should't take too much out of any single game.

I think the way college basketball is today with the constant shuffling of lineups (year to year) it makes for a lot more inconsistency of performance. So a good team like UNC may go out on any given night and lay an egg against a Wofford. That doesn't mean that that is who they are, just that they are capable on any given night of having an off performance.

Unfortunately, those off performances seem to occur less frequently against "name" opponents.

One thing I know about this board is fans tend to look at our performance in a vacuum and overrate our bad/good games comparatively to other teams.

I’ve watched enough Notre Dame and Louisville this year to state that they have both been worse than us in the OOC. Louisville has lost to both power schools they played and beat Albany by 20. BC beat Colgate by 4 and still beat Duke. Zona struggles with UConn themselves and they played them at home. This team could win anywhere from 6-12 ACC games and I wouldn’t be surprised. There’s little separation in this conference except Pitt and Georgia Tech who are both flat out awful.

St. Bonnie isn't a lesser team. They have an NBA guard and will win their conference and be in the dance. Could see them as a Cinderella Sweet 16 team.

I’m not even sure they will be Cinderella. I could totally see them as a 5 or 6 seed.

I really don’t see this, unless Mobley is actually a lot better than he played. I’ve heard he’s good, but he didn’t show me much.

Adams was very good, and they played tough D. I feel like our last years team that had more guys who can shoot would’ve won by 10-15 though. As awful as we were(and some of that was due to their defense), we win that game if Brissett didn’t choke and miss a wide open putback layup.

They’d have to really get the perfect draw to get to the sweet 16...meaning teams that can’t shoot, and have no inside scoring. They’d have to be awfully lucky to see a team like that beyond round 1. They don’t really have size or athletes. Their attempts to finish after breaking our press were pretty bad.

I think the Bonnie’s are an awful lot like those old Butler teams that Stevens had that played the ugliest basketball ever. They beat Maryland without Adams and somehow held them to 5-23 on three pointers. Huerter was 1-7. They can get away with it because I feel like college officiating rewards their style of play.

I guess I was mostly trying to say- if that was our "bad" noncon loss we should feel pretty good

MPW-54094

The Bonnies were absolutely dreadful in the second half. They scored 13 points and made 1 basket in the final 12 minutes. Some of Adams passes against the press were scary. They couldn’t finish on the break during all the time we were pressing. If SU could have scored 21 points in the second half they win. It was a pathetic offensive display from both teams in the second half. If SU wasn’t so anemic on offense they should have won this game by double digits. Reading on the board today, people think we can win 10 games in the ACC. What are you watching? The athletes in the ACC are so much better than what we’ve seen and we can’t score against them. ACC teams will find a way to shut down Battle. He will not score 20 a game in the ACC and who is capable of picking up the slack. JB still hasn’t figured out that the ACC is an offensive league. This is why ND has been so successful in the ACC. If we won last year, we out scored teams. I can’t see us out scoring anyone this year. It’s hard to believe SU can’t recruit more shooters. You can’t tell me a kid like Girard couldn’t helped us last night and we haven’t even offered this kid because he isn’t big enough for the zone. We have FOUR open scholarships right now and how can anyone tell me he couldn’t help a team like SU. He will end up going to ND and sticking it to us for 3-4 years.

The Bonnies were absolutely dreadful in the second half. They scored 13 points and made 1 basket in the final 12 minutes. Some of Adams passes against the press were scary. They couldn’t finish on the break during all the time we were pressing. If SU could have scored 21 points in the second half they win. It was a pathetic offensive display from both teams in the second half. If SU wasn’t so anemic on offense they should have won this game by double digits. Reading on the board today, people think we can win 10 games in the ACC. What are you watching? The athletes in the ACC are so much better than what we’ve seen and we can’t score against them. ACC teams will find a way to shut down Battle. He will not score 20 a game in the ACC and who is capable of picking up the slack. JB still hasn’t figured out that the ACC is an offensive league. This is why ND has been so successful in the ACC. If we won last year, we out scored teams. I can’t see us out scoring anyone this year. It’s hard to believe SU can’t recruit more shooters. You can’t tell me a kid like Girard couldn’t helped us last night and we haven’t even offered this kid because he isn’t big enough for the zone. We have FOUR open scholarships right now and how can anyone tell me he couldn’t help a team like SU. He will end up going to ND and sticking it to us for 3-4 years.
yeah that's why uva (for example) and miami (for another example) have been so unsuccessful in the acc :rolleyes:

I think the Bonnie’s are an awful lot like those old Butler teams that Stevens had that played the ugliest basketball ever. They beat Maryland without Adams and somehow held them to 5-23 on three pointers. Huerter was 1-7. They can get away with it because I feel like college officiating rewards their style of play.

I feel like people are grossly over rating Maryland. That game was only close because Heurter had the performance of his career. Guard him like Bonnies guarded Tyus, and he is gong to lay an egg. He's a decent player, but I think he gets overvalued here because (i) we recruited/wished we recruited him, (ii) he is from upstate and (iii) when we played him he couldn't miss.

It’s absolutely hard to fathom. If you had told me we were down 7 at H and Bonnies scored 13 points in the 2H; I would’ve naturally guessed that the end result was a decisive W. Oh my.

I feel like people are grossly over rating Maryland. That game was only close because Heurter had the performance of his career. Guard him like Bonnies guarded Tyus, and he is gong to lay an egg. He's a decent player, but I think he gets overvalued here because (i) we recruited/wished we recruited him, (ii) he is from upstate and (iii) when we played him he couldn't miss.

His worst game of the year was against the Bonnie’s. Huerter would be the best shooter on our team and is exactly the kind of player we are missing. He’s averaging 14, 6, and 4 while shooting 47 percent from three and 53 percent overall. He’s had a triple double since he played us. He’s everything we wanted Cooney to be. How is he overvalued?

I was not that impressed with the Bonnies either. Good team and will do well in their league, yes. Given the reputation of their guard play, that performance against the press was awful. They were exposed and Other teams will now press them a lot.

I could not agree more about scoring in the ACC; you have to be able to put up numbers. We are definitely shifting in that direction, recruiting wise. That is going to be obvious in a big way...NEXT year.

This year...this might be the worst shooting team I've seen at SU (and I'm not just talking 3s). And yet, they should have beaten a good Bonnnies team despite shooting 30% from 2, and 15% from 3. The grit, rebounding, defense, and hustle from this team is impressive and kind of out of character compared with the SU squads of late. If nothing else, it will be interesting to watch these kids compete in the ACC.

One thing I know about this board is fans tend to look at our performance in a vacuum and overrate our bad/good games comparatively to other teams.

I’ve watched enough Notre Dame and Louisville this year to state that they have both been worse than us in the OOC. Louisville has lost to both power schools they played and beat Albany by 20. BC beat Colgate by 4 and still beat Duke. Zona struggles with UConn themselves and they played them at home. This team could win anywhere from 6-12 ACC games and I wouldn’t be surprised. There’s little separation in this conference except Pitt and Georgia Tech who are both flat out awful.
Didn't they beat Albany by a bucket

Let's not get carried away with the Bonnies being some kind of great team. They have no inside game and will get thrashed by the better teams with a good inside game. They have guards who can shoot it from 3 with range but looked bad handling pressure. kind of like us but without Brissett. We had plenty of chances to win that game last night. That kind of a loss hurts a lot more than a 15 point beatdown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom