Looking at the remaining schedule does anyone see 4 or 5 wins? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Looking at the remaining schedule does anyone see 4 or 5 wins?

Look you know I respect your opinion about the program as much as anyone but you know full well what I posted is far from crazy. Your putting a lot of stock into Pugh turning this around. While I think its clear hes our best linemen and a hell of a player were not talking about getting a Mcnabb or Mike Williams back from injury. Your asking a linemen who hasnt played in 10+ months to come in and be All big east from the get go. And again not takign anything away from Pugh because he is a great player but hes still an O tackle, unless he can morph into a game breaking WR or a RB who has the best of both Smith and Gulley you cant expect this offense to suddenly answer all of its issues.

While 5-3 maybe achievable so is 3-5 or worse. We havent beaten Lville since Marrone took over and havent beaten Pitt since 04. We havent beaten Uconn since 06 and have one win versus Cincy and South Florida since 2005. With the issues this team still has do you really see them suddenly beating all of these teams??

Getting FLemming back will be a help but hes still a Jr Wr who has exactly zero catches for his career. We still go whole games without taking any shots downfield and desperately need someone who we can take some shots with on Go routes, deep posts, double moves etc. Perhaps that player is Brolyd because hes not a RB and simply handing him off the ball is not the answer.

This is without mentioning the disaster that special teams and penalties continue to be in year four. When exactly can we expect those two issues to be cleaned up 2019?

This team is much better overall than it has been in a long time. This is team is inherently better than a three or four win squad.

This team is much better overall than it has been in a long time. This is team is inherently better than a three or four win squad.

I believe thats probably true but it still has major flaws and personel problems that we cant or won't address.

Yup.

We used to talk about how we were just a few plays away under GRob too.

Who did? Those teams were putrid and had no chance going into most games during his tenure. Couldn't be more different.

This team can beat anybody on the remaining schedule. Its certainly easy to go the route of "rinse, wash, repeat" but this year feels much more like a 2010 year than an 2005 year. Best O in the league to this point and a good enough D. Eliminate the -4 TO games and we will win our fair share of games.

You see this team beating Cincy on the road with a mobile QB?

Did you think we'd beat WVU or USF or Cincinnati on the road in 2010? We aren't talking about going into Eugene and winning. We're talking about Cincinnati. Sure we can win that game. We could lose too. But this isn't '05-08 where all hope was lost. Much more optimistic week to week. Now we actually have to, you know, win the games. Eliminate mistakes (I know, big IF), then we're going to win some games.

Who did? Those teams were putrid and had no chance going into most games during his tenure. Couldn't be more different.

This team can beat anybody on the remaining schedule. Its certainly easy to go the route of "rinse, wash, repeat" but this year feels much more like a 2010 year than an 2005 year. Best O in the league to this point and a good enough D. Eliminate the -4 TO games and we will win our fair share of games.

Whoa best O in the league? We just scored 10 points against Minnesota (7 in garbage time) and couldnt crack the upper 20's against Stony Brook. We also have had a hell of a time scoring in the BE the last few years outside of one game against WVU, lets not get crazy.

Did you think we'd beat WVU or USF or Cincinnati on the road in 2010? We aren't talking about going into Eugene and winning. We're talking about Cincinnati. Sure we can win that game. We could lose too. But this isn't '05-08 where all hope was lost. Much more optimistic week to week. Now we actually have to, you know, win the games. Eliminate mistakes (I know, big IF), then we're going to win some games.

No I certainly didn't but lets be honest our D carried us in those games and outside of the Cincy games we only scored 1 offensive touchdown in both of those wins. Not only do we need to eliminate a bunch of mistakes ie turnovers, penalties, special teams, this offense has to score consistenly in the Big East, when was the last time this team put up 21+ points in teh first half against a BE opponent?

Whoa best O in the league? We just scored 10 points against Minnesota (7 in garbage time) and couldnt crack the upper 20's against Stony Brook. We also have had a hell of a time scoring in the BE the last few years outside of one game against WVU, lets not get crazy.

Then who is? Minnesota was one game, and it was mistake-laden. Overall, probably the best O in the league. Remember, we play in a shitty league.

Also what about the issue with special teams, penalties, and the use of Broyld. Are you not concerned the first two are still a huge issue in year four?

We're 1-3 now, my original projection was:

Syracuse vs. Northwestern (W) 17-13
Syracuse vs. So. Cal. (L) 10-34
Syracuse vs. Stony Brook (W) 38-10
Syracuse @ Minnesota (W) 21-10
Syracuse vs. Pitt (L) 17-34
Syracuse @ Rutgers (W) 38-21
Syracuse vs. Connecticut (W) 34-13
Syracuse @ South Florida (L) 10-24
Syracuse @ Cincinnati (L) 13-28
Syracuse vs. Louisville (W) 24-23
Syracuse @ Missouri (L) 14-28
Syracuse @ Temple (W) 27-14

7-5. 8-5 after our mid tier bowl victory.

To get to that, we need to go 6-2 the rest of the way out. And that is doable, if we play to our potential. If the turnovers, penalties, poor ST play, etc continues, we'll be lucky to go 2-6. I had us winning relatively close games against NW and Minny, and we lost relatively close games against them. I also had us losing to Pitt and USF, and those two teams, based on how this season has played out, are very beatable.

I had a loss at Cincy which I think will hold, I also had our upset special at home over L'ville which I still think is possible. L'ville is a team that is beatable, they aren't going undefeated this year. They've looked pretty pedestrian the last two weeks on the road against FIU and Southern Miss, and that is a VERY bad Southern Miss team this year.

The Pitt, Rutgers, and UCONN games will be very telling. We win all 3 - and we're right headed where we need to be. We lose all 3, forget about this season. We win 2 of 3 and we have a shot.

Then who is? Minnesota was one game, and it was mistake-laden. Overall, probably the best O in the league. Remember, we play in a shitty league.

The O is better then most of the BE but thats in yards, were not putting enough points on the board especially touchdowns. Teams like Lville and Cincy have shown over the past two years they can put up 20-30 points versus BE teams we have not.

I think the Pitt game has a chance to be a repeat of WVU last year, and could lead to a 5 or 6 win season. A loss, however, and 3-9 is squarely on the table.

We're 1-3 now, my original projection was:

Syracuse vs. Northwestern (W) 17-13
Syracuse vs. So. Cal. (L) 10-34
Syracuse vs. Stony Brook (W) 38-10
Syracuse @ Minnesota (W) 21-10
Syracuse vs. Pitt (L) 17-34
Syracuse @ Rutgers (W) 38-21
Syracuse vs. Connecticut (W) 34-13
Syracuse @ South Florida (L) 10-24
Syracuse @ Cincinnati (L) 13-28
Syracuse vs. Louisville (W) 24-23
Syracuse @ Missouri (L) 14-28
Syracuse @ Temple (W) 27-14

7-5. 8-5 after our mid tier bowl victory.

To get to that, we need to go 6-2 the rest of the way out. And that is doable, if we play to our potential. If the turnovers, penalties, poor ST play, etc continues, we'll be lucky to go 2-6. I had us winning relatively close games against NW and Minny, and we lost relatively close games against them. I also had us losing to Pitt and USF, and those two teams, based on how this season has played out, are very beatable.

I had a loss at Cincy which I think will hold, I also had our upset special at home over L'ville which I still think is possible. L'ville is a team that is beatable, they aren't going undefeated this year. They've looked pretty pedestrian the last two weeks on the road against FIU and Southern Miss, and that is a VERY bad Southern Miss team this year.

The Pitt, Rutgers, and UCONN games will be very telling. We win all 3 - and we're right headed where we need to be. We lost all 3, forget about this season. We win 2 of 3 and we have a shot.

Good post but the problem is penalties, poor specials, turnovers etc have been and continue to be a problem under Marrone. This is year four and they are as bad as ever outside of kick coverage. Why are they suddenly going to clear up?

Not sure why L'ville is being put up on a pedestal, they have not looked impressive at all the last 3 weeks playing some pretty inferior teams. Granted they did win all 3 games but it's not like they're putting up WVU numbers offensively.

The O is better then most of the BE but thats in yards, were not putting enough points on the board especially touchdowns. Teams like Lville and Cincy have shown over the past two years they can put up 20-30 points versus BE teams we have not.

I agree that we are leaving way too many points on the field at this point, but if we clean up some of the sloppiness, add in Pugh, and maybe we can actually sustain this. If we don't have the best O in the league, we have one of the best. A good enough offense to win our fair share of games. Now, as I've been saying all year, its time for us to actually do it. The talent is good enough at this point to be a good team in this type of league.

Right now this team is closer to 3 or 4 wins then 7. Until the offense shows they can consistently score touchdowns, and the defense can stop runners from going straight up the middle, we will lose more then we win.

Well, the great thing about sports is that we'll find out. If we don't end up with more than 4 wins then I guess there will be some 'splainin' to do.

Look you know I respect your opinion about the program as much as anyone but you know full well what I posted is far from crazy. Your putting a lot of stock into Pugh turning this around. While I think its clear hes our best linemen and a hell of a player were not talking about getting a Mcnabb or Mike Williams back from injury. Your asking a linemen who hasnt played in 10+ months to come in and be All big east from the get go. And again not takign anything away from Pugh because he is a great player but hes still an O tackle, unless he can morph into a game breaking WR or a RB who has the best of both Smith and Gulley you cant expect this offense to suddenly answer all of its issues.

While 5-3 maybe achievable so is 3-5 or worse. We havent beaten Lville since Marrone took over and havent beaten Pitt since 04. We havent beaten Uconn since 06 and have one win versus Cincy and South Florida since 2005. With the issues this team still has do you really see them suddenly beating all of these teams??

Getting FLemming back will be a help but hes still a Jr Wr who has exactly zero catches for his career. We still go whole games without taking any shots downfield and desperately need someone who we can take some shots with on Go routes, deep posts, double moves etc. Perhaps that player is Brolyd because hes not a RB and simply handing him off the ball is not the answer.

This is without mentioning the disaster that special teams and penalties continue to be in year four. When exactly can we expect those two issues to be cleaned up 2019?

Turned around? Answer all it's issues? What have you been watching. The offense needs to improve running the ball a bit and it's performance in the close redzone. If they can run the ball with consistently and hold the pocket a little longer this offense will be more than fine.

Other than QB the most important position on offense is the blind side tackle.

And you might have missed it, but this isn't those other teams.

And yet our record is just as bad as those other teams.

It's great that we're finally gaining yards like a real college football team.

Will be nice if we can a game or two next.

Turned around? Answer all it's issues? What have you been watching. The offense needs to improve running the ball a bit and it's performance in the close redzone. If they can run the ball with consistently and hold the pocket a little longer this offense will be more than fine.

Other than QB the most important position on offense is the blind side tackle.

I know with the way our offense has been the past few years some of the improvements we have seen so far make us feel like we have a real offense. But you act like this offense is the 2001 Miami Hurricanes or something. What I have been watching is a team struggling to score in the red zone and other then garbage time last week put 3 points up on the board against a poor Minny team that Iowa just abused. This team also couldnt crack 30 against a 1AA team that Colgate hung 30 plus on. The O is improved but it still has numerous issues and needs to actually show it can score more then the high teens against a BE conference schedule. Also again any chance you can address my questions about specials and penalties?

And yet our record is just as bad as those other teams.

It's great that we're finally gaining yards like a real college football team.

Will be nice if we can a game or two next.

Yeah despite all the numbers and happy feelings about an offense that actually moves the ball for a change this team is 1-3 and again dealing with the same issues.

As much as I hate to say so, but no way we beat the girls this year based on what I have seen so far. Their defense looks solid and offense is improving with a much improved OL, running game. They have some big and fast WR who could give our DB's a lot of trouble. This could all change if we dominate Pitt this weekend. I am still hopeful for a 6 win season and a bowl game going into ACC play next year. That would give us 2 bowls in 3 years.

So many things can change as the season progresses and all I'm looking at is Pitt because after that we have no idea about injuries and other football related things like teams improving because the young guys are starting to get their assignments right more often or teams making some player adjustments for example an addition like Pugh.

this POS was 5-2 coming off a BOWL win that had the University, the locals, the NYCers and ALL of the ALUMNI...buzzing.

and he flucked it up.

since then hes done nothing but lose and fire Conley.

See ya!!!

Oh Lord

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom