Looks like Brisly Estime is committing | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like Brisly Estime is committing

I think that it was mentioned before that Brisley is originally from Haiti. English is not his first language. If he had to learn English later he was probably held back and it would explain his age. I get the feeling reading his twitter that he is just very naive.

"Estime, whose family moved to Delray Beach from Haiti in the late 1990s, enrolled in public elementary school and was immediately behind, slowed by the Creole-English language barrier. Once he reached high school, Estime's mentor, Atlantic High teacher Whitney Clodfelter, discovered he wasn't on course to graduate on time in 2012."

Estime has already committed and decommitted to Purdue and Iowa State so who know where he will end up.

And for what it is worth - he turned 20 at the end of his senior season. A man playing among boys on some level.
He decommitted from Purdue because they wanted him to take a visit before committing and he didn't want to (weird). Iowa St. pulled the offer because he took a visit to W. Michigan.

He obviously has talent, but looks like his recruitment has been crazy. Doesn't sound like a promising recruit to me.

I think that it was mentioned before that Brisley is originally from Haiti. English is not his first language. If he had to learn English later he was probably held back and it would explain his age. I get the feeling reading his twitter that he is just very naive.

"Estime, whose family moved to Delray Beach from Haiti in the late 1990s, enrolled in public elementary school and was immediately behind, slowed by the Creole-English language barrier. Once he reached high school, Estime's mentor, Atlantic High teacher Whitney Clodfelter, discovered he wasn't on course to graduate on time in 2012."

If this is the reason he's 20 years old and still in high school I'll feel a little bit better about the situation.

One thing is certain the kid is fast as sheet and it wouldn't matter if he was a 20 year old HS senior or a 20 year old college freshman.

The Purdue commitment thing is bizarre, but Iowa State pulling their offer though because he visited somewhere else is not out of the ordinary.

If this is the reason he's 20 years old and still in high school I'll feel a little bit better about the situation.

One thing is certain the kid is fast as sheet and it wouldn't matter if he was a 20 year old HS senior or a 20 year old college freshman.

The Purdue commitment thing is bizarre, but Iowa State pulling their offer though because he visited somewhere else is not out of the ordinary.

Here is the full article...
Story

Atlantic's Brisly Estime can play full season for Eagles

Wednesday, August 08, 2012
by Jeff Greer
Brisly Estime anticipated a short 2012 football season, but his appeal to the state's athletic association changed all that.
Estime, an Atlantic senior with several Division I scholarship offers, will reach the state's age limit for high school student-athletes (19 years, 9 months) after two weeks of games this fall. Under the Florida High School Athletic Association's bylaws, he'd have to sit out the remainder of the season.
At an FHSAA hearing in Miami on Wednesday, Estime, explaining that an early childhood move held him back academically, appealed for full fall eligibility. The Haitian-born defensive back and a source close to Atlantic High football both said Estime won his appeal, though the FHSAA did not respond to inquiries for confirmation Wednesday afternoon.
Estime tweeted about the FHSAA's ruling Wednesday, saying "God is great" before announcing he got "the green light" to play the full season.
Estime's full eligibility is a huge boost for Atlantic, a team that competes in one of the state's toughest districts. He was the star of the Eagles' 14-0 spring-game victory against Glades Central, and he's expected to star in Atlantic's defensive secondary and on the special-teams unit.
Not only is it a major break for Atlantic, Estime now won't have to worry that limited exposure this fall could hurt his chances of signing a Division I scholarship in February. Among the schools that have made offers to Estime are Purdue, Florida Atlantic and Florida International.
Estime, whose family moved to Delray Beach from Haiti in the late 1990s, enrolled in public elementary school and was immediately behind, slowed by the Creole-English language barrier. Once he reached high school, Estime's mentor, Atlantic High teacher Whitney Clodfelter, discovered he wasn't on course to graduate on time in 2012.
Clodfelter enrolled him in Florida Virtual School in an attempt to speed up his credit intake and help him graduate in 2012, which would have made him eligible to play college football this fall. That plan, which included hours of summer and after-school classes during the past two years, chipped away at his credit gap, but not enough, prompting Estime's plea to the FHSAA.

Here is the full article...
Story

Atlantic's Brisly Estime can play full season for Eagles

Wednesday, August 08, 2012
by Jeff Greer
Brisly Estime anticipated a short 2012 football season, but his appeal to the state's athletic association changed all that.
Estime, an Atlantic senior with several Division I scholarship offers, will reach the state's age limit for high school student-athletes (19 years, 9 months) after two weeks of games this fall. Under the Florida High School Athletic Association's bylaws, he'd have to sit out the remainder of the season.
At an FHSAA hearing in Miami on Wednesday, Estime, explaining that an early childhood move held him back academically, appealed for full fall eligibility. The Haitian-born defensive back and a source close to Atlantic High football both said Estime won his appeal, though the FHSAA did not respond to inquiries for confirmation Wednesday afternoon.
Estime tweeted about the FHSAA's ruling Wednesday, saying "God is great" before announcing he got "the green light" to play the full season.
Estime's full eligibility is a huge boost for Atlantic, a team that competes in one of the state's toughest districts. He was the star of the Eagles' 14-0 spring-game victory against Glades Central, and he's expected to star in Atlantic's defensive secondary and on the special-teams unit.
Not only is it a major break for Atlantic, Estime now won't have to worry that limited exposure this fall could hurt his chances of signing a Division I scholarship in February. Among the schools that have made offers to Estime are Purdue, Florida Atlantic and Florida International.
Estime, whose family moved to Delray Beach from Haiti in the late 1990s, enrolled in public elementary school and was immediately behind, slowed by the Creole-English language barrier. Once he reached high school, Estime's mentor, Atlantic High teacher Whitney Clodfelter, discovered he wasn't on course to graduate on time in 2012.
Clodfelter enrolled him in Florida Virtual School in an attempt to speed up his credit intake and help him graduate in 2012, which would have made him eligible to play college football this fall. That plan, which included hours of summer and after-school classes during the past two years, chipped away at his credit gap, but not enough, prompting Estime's plea to the FHSAA.
So basically...he'll be of similar age as a prep school recruit.

So basically...he'll be of similar age as a prep school recruit.

Exactly. Throw in the increasing number of prep players who are held back early on as a "redshirt" year and I don't see his age as a huge issue.

Exactly. Throw in the increasing number of prep players who are held back early on as a "redshirt" year and I don't see his age as a huge issue.
It is not that his age is an issue, it is only that he is lot more physically mature than every kid that he played against.

Prep school kids are playing against other older kids (for the most part). Being almost 20 most of your senior year and playing against a lot of 16 and 17 year old kids is a different situation.

Not knocking the kid - just something that has to be taken into consideration when evaluating where he stands compared to his 'peers.'

It is not that his age is an issue, it is only that he is lot more physically mature than every kid that he played against.

Prep school kids are playing against other older kids (for the most part). Being almost 20 most of your senior year and playing against a lot of 16 and 17 year old kids is a different situation.

Not knocking the kid - just something that has to be taken into consideration when evaluating where he stands compared to his 'peers.'

I know that in certain areas of TX it is standard operating procedure for parents to hold boys back in order to give them an advantage in school and sports. Not unusual to have kids who are 19 year olds competing their senior year of HS.

Then again maybe Brisly is just a late bloomer.;)

Yeah, I would second this. I think it's cool that they gave him the waiver -- a language barrier is a real issue if you're trying to take standardized tests and satisfy state educational benchmarks, etc. But, having said that, if you're basically 20, you are in a different world physically from most 16-year-olds. It should at least be noted in terms of schools recruiting you.

kind of a dickish thing to post about two kids who would really help the football program. Care to weigh in on which other recruits will or will not take academics seriously while at SU?

I don't know -- I kind of see this both ways. It is a bit dickish and unfair to the two kids. yet, I'd say as a general rule, it's probably not terribly far-fetched to assume that most high-level DI athletes won't be spending too much time in the library. I don't think that's offensive to guys like Nassib and Lemon and others who appeared to do well academically either. In fact, I think it makes their accomplishments all the more noteworthy.

I don't know -- I kind of see this both ways. It is a bit dickish and unfair to the two kids. yet, I'd say as a general rule, it's probably not terribly far-fetched to assume that most high-level DI athletes won't be spending too much time in the library. I don't think that's offensive to guys like Nassib and Lemon and others who appeared to do well academically either. In fact, I think it makes their accomplishments all the more noteworthy.

I think it is far fetched. Athletes today are highly scrutinized at places like syracuse. they cannot just take a class or two off like some of us were able to do. Secondly, his assumption was made based off of what? their twitter accounts? regardless of reasoning his assumption was off base. Not saying we have to have a bunch of brain surgeons on the team, but there is certainly no way these guys dont put in th time between classes, and mandatory study hall, which typical students do not have.

I think it is far fetched. Athletes today are highly scrutinized at places like syracuse. they cannot just take a class or two off like some of us were able to do. Secondly, his assumption was made based off of what? their twitter accounts? regardless of reasoning his assumption was off base. Not saying we have to have a bunch of brain surgeons on the team, but there is certainly no way these guys dont put in th time between classes, and mandatory study hall, which typical students do not have.

Eh, I guess we're talking about two different issues. I guess I was referring more to his basic comment that they probably won't be spending extra time in the library as more of a comment on the hyper-focus most of these kids have on athletics vs. academics. And the institutions and programs are set up that way as well. We all pay lip service to the "value of education" but then spend all weekend carting kids off to travel soccer and AAU hoops, etc. And is there a soul in any big time athletic department anywhere actually encouraging these kids to do service projects and travel abroad and challenge themselves with STEM majors or double-majors? Is a coach going to tell a kid to do an internship at the expense of his off-season program on campus? Is JB telling BT to miss a game at Pitt so he can study for the MCATs?

And I'm not limiting this to athletes, per se, but merely saying a majority of these kids are doing what they need to do to get a certain grade and no more b/c they really care about getting to the NFL or NBA or something like that.

Eh, I guess we're talking about two different issues. I guess I was referring more to his basic comment that they probably won't be spending extra time in the library as more of a comment on the hyper-focus most of these kids have on athletics vs. academics. And the institutions and programs are set up that way as well. We all pay lip service to the "value of education" but then spend all weekend carting kids off to travel soccer and AAU hoops, etc. And is there a soul in any big time athletic department anywhere actually encouraging these kids to do service projects and travel abroad and challenge themselves with STEM majors or double-majors? Is a coach going to tell a kid to do an internship at the expense of his off-season program on campus? Is JB telling BT to miss a game at Pitt so he can study for the MCATs?

And I'm not limiting this to athletes, per se, but merely saying a majority of these kids are doing what they need to do to get a certain grade and no more b/c they really care about getting to the NFL or NBA or something like that.

Gotcha I think we are on the same page.

I wouldn't trust that tweet because what the kid says on twitter is all over the place.

kind of a dickish thing to post about two kids who would really help the football program. Care to weigh in on which other recruits will or will not take academics seriously while at SU?
Considering the MANY student athletes who have excelled in both areas, its not an accurate statement. When reading the bios of some of these kids,Iam amazed at some of their majors.:crazy:

Brisly ESTIME@BALL_CHILL1
takin flight ✈✈✈ to NC-STATE on my official visit goodbye delray hello north carolina safe travel yall boiz

And say hello to freezing rain and wintry mix. Lovely day in Carolina.

how many 16 yr old kids is he really playing against.. most of these schools have JV programs.. only the best kids play Varsity before being Jrs. some of these schools have Freshmen, Jv and varsity programs.

The biggest comment on his physical ability has been his speed. It doesn't matter if he's 15 or 50, that's all based on how he performs against a clock.

@SUonRivals
Delray Beach (Fla.) Atlantic DB Brisly Estime received an offer from N.C State today and he will not visit Syracuse next weekend.

I wonder if they pulled the offer after getting a commitment today?

@SUonRivals
Delray Beach (Fla.) Atlantic DB Brisly Estime received an offer from N.C State today and he will not visit Syracuse next weekend.

either that or he committed on the spot to nc state.

i'm thinking estime was down the pecking order a bit with the commitment of winfield and the very real chance at landing mr cooper. my hunch is that we've got cooper.

@SUonRivals

Makes sense although I wonder if they would be able to act that quickly (if they do, I admire their professionalism in letting the kid know ASAP).

If SU was looking at him as a WR - I'd love knowing Cooper took the spot.

If SU was looking at him as a DB - I'd love knowing Singleton and Simeon Thomas might be the plays there.

I'd like to think we pulled his offer, However, more than likely he committed to NC state on spot. He was always looking for an SEC or southern ACC school.

I'd like to think we pulled his offer, However, more than likely he committed to NC state on spot. He was always looking for an SEC or southern ACC school.
I actually think our offer was conditional until we found out how good the interest from our other DB/WR prospects was. Once Cooper/Thomas/Singleton entered into the picture as legitimate options I think we pulled it.