Look's like Donte is leaving Sacto | Syracusefan.com

Look's like Donte is leaving Sacto

moqui

generational talent
donteleave.jpg

He always played well against the Knicks. Even got labeled the Sacramento Knick killer by the radio broadcast team during the Knicks games.

I heard he was well liked out there - this article seems to be saying the same:

http://aroyalpain.com/2012/06/27/donte-greene-says-goodbye-to-sacramento-forward-no-longer-a-king/

While never fully growing into the potential that many had hoped for, Greene became a fan favorite with his high flying ways and accessible personality, one that went out of his way to create a local charity game during last years NBA lockout.
So on behalf of we fans, thank you Donte – for being the professional you are, for the good times, for everything. You’ll be missed. A class act in every sense of the word.
Always a rough part of the NBA offseason. Good luck, Donte.

http://aroyalpain.com/2012/06/27/donte-greene-says-goodbye-to-sacramento-forward-no-longer-a-king/

While never fully growing into the potential that many had hoped for, Greene became a fan favorite with his high flying ways and accessible personality, one that went out of his way to create a local charity game during last years NBA lockout.
So on behalf of we fans, thank you Donte – for being the professional you are, for the good times, for everything. You’ll be missed. A class act in every sense of the word.

And yet people here revel in hating him and rooting against him.

Dont worry, soon enough they can all hate on Fab.
Soon enough? Maybe continued would be closer, even though hate is too strong a word. Dislike probably more appropriate for most people who have difficulty with how Melo handled himself in the past year.

Hey, good for him. I couldn't be more pleased that he's a nice guy, that he enjoyed Sacramento, and that people out there (except for Crazy Demarcus Cousins, of course) liked him a lot. And it's terrific that he's looking at a fifth year of being paid to play in the NBA.

Doesn't change the fact that he was difficult to like as a Syracuse basketball player. In fact, it's very easy to reconcile happiness for a nice guy's success with the recognition that that person contributed to a disappointing, spiritless season for our favorite college team.

Hey, good for him. I couldn't be more pleased that he's a nice guy, that he enjoyed Sacramento, and that people out there (except for Crazy Demarcus Cousins, of course) liked him a lot. And it's terrific that he's looking at a fifth year of being paid to play in the NBA.

Doesn't change the fact that he was difficult to like as a Syracuse basketball player. In fact, it's very easy to reconcile happiness for a nice guy's success with the recognition that that person contributed to a disappointing, spiritless season for our favorite college team.

That "disappointing, spiritless season" would be a great year for a lot of programs.

That "disappointing, spiritless season" would be a great year for a lot of programs.

Wow, not sure how to reply to that one.

Does Syracuse aspire to be "a lot of programs"?

How many programs, exactly, consider a .600 season to be a "great year"?

We don't need to be contrary each time someone posts something that's less than laudatory about the program. For Syracuse and every program in Syracuse's competitive set, 21-14, an NIT bid, and a lot of objectively ugly basketball is by no means a great year. There's nothing wrong with saying that; by nearly any measure, it's #36 of Boeheim's 36 seasons in charge and was, to anyone who watched it, spiritless and disappointing.

We don't need to be contrary each time someone posts something that's less than laudatory about the program. For Syracuse and every program in Syracuse's competitive set, 21-14, an NIT bid, and a lot of objectively ugly basketball is by no means a great year. There's nothing wrong with saying that; by nearly any measure, it's #36 of Boeheim's 36 seasons in charge and was, to anyone who watched it, spiritless and disappointing.
I can laugh now because it was spiritless and disappointing, yet they would always find a reason to make that idiotic Dynasty symbol. I like to forget about that season.

I can laugh now because it was spiritless and disappointing, yet they would always find a reason to make that idiotic Dynasty symbol. I like to forget about that season.

Yeah, it is funnier now and I don't dislike any of those players personally - they were just kids and they really were without leadership. At the time, though, a pretty unenjoyable four months. Difficult to like a team that takes no pride in playing hard yet carries itself that way. At least the other mediocre Boeheim teams lacked for talent and (for the most part) gave it their all every night.

Gee, sorry if I upset you. It was just an observation, nothing more, from someone who has followed the program pretty closely since the early 1970s. I happen to think the program's consistent success is pretty remarkable. Granted, some years are better than others, but even the worst of times haven't been all that bad.

And before you ask, no, I'm not happy with NIT bids and early NCAAT exits, but I recognize that this is a highly competitive sport and most seasons will end short of a championship. But I still enjoy every one of them.

Gee, sorry if I upset you. It was just an observation, nothing more, from someone who has followed the program pretty closely since the early 1970s. I happen to think the program's consistent success is pretty remarkable. Granted, some years are better than others, but even the worst of times haven't been all that bad.

And before you ask, no, I'm not happy with NIT bids and early NCAAT exits, but I recognize that this is a highly competitive sport and most seasons will end short of a championship. But I still enjoy every one of them.

Not upset at all, but your posts often seem well-reasoned; that particular one is gratuitously contrary and not even germane to what it's written in reply to.

I agree that it's important for us to find enjoyment in all of our seasons - we're only going to see Final Fours once in a blue moon and we should be reasonable about our expectations. But surely you were disappointed by 2008, no?

I agree...with one big caveat. When Donte was in Orange I called him "Kaczynski"...because it was always bombs away.

The caveat is...he went wild against G-town and we absolutely crushed those scoundrels.
That one game earns him a pass.

Not upset at all, but your posts often seem well-reasoned; that particular one is gratuitously contrary and not even germane to what it's written in reply to.

I agree that it's important for us to find enjoyment in all of our seasons - we're only going to see Final Fours once in a blue moon and we should be reasonable about our expectations. But surely you were disappointed by 2008, no?
Of course I wasn't pleased with that season, but it was still interesting to me as a fan. When I read your description of it, I started thinking how smooth a ride we've had compared to almost all other programs, and typed a quick response. I suppose I should have explained my thoughts better.

Anyway, you must not read my posts too often or you'd realize that's not the first time I've made a gratuitous comment. And there are plenty of people who would tell you most of my posts are anything but well-reasoned.

Sac seems more mature than Syracuse in their goodbyes...

HOW DARE HE GET THE GREENLIGHT TO SHOOT FROM ANYWHERE ON THE COURT WHEN WE HAD SIX PLAYERS INCLUDING OFFENSIVE POWERHOUSES KRISTOF ONGENAET AND FRESHMAN SCOOP JARDINE!

HOW DARE HE GET THE GREENLIGHT TO SHOOT FROM ANYWHERE ON THE COURT WHEN WE HAD SIX PLAYERS INCLUDING OFFENSIVE POWERHOUSES KRISTOF ONGENAET AND FRESHMAN SCOOP JARDINE!
Yeah, Donte was forced into his role on that team. The talent was there it was apparent but as a freshman he was not equipped to be the team leader though he tried to take the role on from a scoring standpoint.

Yeah, Donte was forced into his role on that team. The talent was there it was apparent but as a freshman he was not equipped to be the team leader though he tried to take the role on from a scoring standpoint.

He might've been forced into a scorer's role, but I doubt Boeheim asked him to take more than half of his field goals from behind the arc. And his role surely didn't entail imitating a matador on defense or playing Aroldis Chapman after every dunk.

It was a thin team that only lost talent as the season progressed, but lesser players have done more under similar circumstances.

No desire, however, to detract from the shared sentiment here: good for Donte - he's still playing and people like him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom