Looks like JB has made some adjustments to the zone | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like JB has made some adjustments to the zone

I remember Slick Rick's Louisville teams would burn us by overloading the zone and hit that corner 3 until we were blue in the face. I get why JB is asking the center to do this, but i'd rather try m2m for brief stints when the other team overloads. There really isn't a sane counter-move that the zone can make to an overload. The best tactic, IMO, would be to just change it up for a few possessions.
Or slide to a 1-2-2

I remember Slick Rick's Louisville teams would burn us by overloading the zone and hit that corner 3 until we were blue in the face. I get why JB is asking the center to do this, but i'd rather try m2m for brief stints when the other team overloads. There really isn't a sane counter-move that the zone can make to an overload. The best tactic, IMO, would be to just change it up for a few possessions.

And how many games have YOU coached?

Let me see if I have this right. Jim Boeheim, whose won over a thousand games, and is in the final four should take advice from a fan named after a defunct pizza chain?

Im reminded of the old saying “If a coach wants to join the crowd somethingnsomething sit back and enjoy it.”

Is that an adjustment or just the way we've always tried to play the zone? You can't leave the FT area open or it's easy shots galore.

I'd like to see if the "adjustments" are anything more than playing against two wretched offensive teams. Of course, we wanted to limit the touches at the FT area and in the paint against two teams that can't shoot.

VTech will be a much tougher test with how they shoot the 3. They (Nolley mainly) struggled against us in the 1st matchup, but still dumped 40 on us in the 2nd half. Going to have to find a way to make them taker tougher deep shots tomorrow because I'm guessing they'll shoot a lot better at home than they did in the Dome.

kinda both. We always drop the off guard. This year and past years. This years team has not done it well or quick enough. But that’s due to youth a lot too. Dropping the guard is a staple of the zone. The bringing up the forwards higher is likely what buddy meant. While it too is a basic scheme of our zone we don’t do it every game for the whole game. We did it a lot last year but it really takes a lot of experience for all 5 guys to get used to the movements. It’s more opponent dependent along with experience. It’s in the holster though. There was nothing done against BC that we haven’t done a lot in the past.

What’s worse, a three or an easy dunk that fires up the crowd?

Im with you, let the guy shoot that three and leave the center in the middle where he belongs. If he actually contests that shot, he’s in the 10th row before he stops his momentum if he doesn’t just crash into the shooter resulting in a 4 point play.
We lost 2 national championships giving up corner 3s.

1987 Steve Alford 7 for 10 from 3. (not all were from the corner)
Keith Smart was from 2

1996 Tony Delk 7-12 from 3 (most were from the corner)

7 makes from 3 in a NC game is still the record (to my knowledge)

2003 we blocked a corner 3.

Corner 3s are the easiest 3 point shot

We lost 2 national championships giving up corner 3s.

1987 Steve Alford 7 for 10 from 3. (not all were from the corner)
Keith Smart was from 2

1996 Tony Delk 7-12 from 3 (most were from the corner)

7 makes from 3 in a NC game is still the record (to my knowledge)

2003 we blocked a corner 3.

Corner 3s are the easiest 3 point shot
i can tell you watch a lot of nba. Your last statement is true of the nba where the corner 3 is shorter than everywhere else, thus the cliche of it being the easiest shot.

If we had worked just a little harder on the truly easiest shot, the free throw, we had a better shot of winning in 87.

We weren’t winning in 96.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom