Looks like Missouri is taking steps toward move to Big 12 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like Missouri is taking steps toward move to Big 12

I've been listening to their presser for a bit.
Mizzou's chancellor is now able to move forward in deciding on the school's athletic conference affiliation. They made it clear that they intend to continue playing Kansas at Arrowhead as well as some sort of basketball tournament in KC.

I suspect they'll be done with this in another week or two.

Summary: Today the Missouri Board of Curators announced that they have delegated authority to Chancellor Deaton to make decisions about realignment, and to bring some FB and BB games to Kansas City. The board also announced support for realignment if that is what Deaton decides. No immediate time frame announced, but looks like action will be soon. All of this looks like Missouri is working to solve the problem of replacing KC's lost revenue from Big 12 tourney, and to leave Big 12.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.946911,-87.724742

Not the quick and clean resolution a lot of people were hoping for but it pretty much confirms what Pete Thamel said on Monday. He expected the ball to get rolling today and he predicted the process would wrap up by the end of October.

Thamel listened longer than I did and notes that Mizzou's chancellor indicated that they'd be playing in another conference in 2012. If so then BYU should be easier to slide into the Big XII (assuming they agree to no Sunday BYU games, etc.) than a Big East team... unless they take 3 and kill BE FB. If BE FB were to be staring at a 3-team league (Yukon, Rutgers & USF) perhaps it would agree to dissolve after this season if those leaving agreed to pony up some more ducats.

Thamel listened longer than I did and notes that Mizzou's chancellor indicated that they'd be playing in another conference in 2012. If so then BYU should be easier to slide into the Big XII (assuming they agree to no Sunday BYU games, etc.) than a Big East team... unless they take 3 and kill BE FB. If BE FB were to be staring at a 3-team league (Yukon, Rutgers & USF) perhaps it would agree to dissolve after this season if those leaving agreed to pony up some more ducats.

-----------------

"Oh, one more. Deaton says that they would be in a new league next year. That contrasts with Neinas' notion that they'd be in B12 in 2012."

"Deaton on Mizzou's SEC decision: “There’s no expectation I would come back to the board.” (IE, its his call)."

Mizzou seems to enjoy their rare position of influence in this ordeal. Stop being so noncommittal and make a decision, please.

I've been listening to their presser for a bit.
Mizzou's chancellor is now able to move forward in deciding on the school's athletic conference affiliation. They made it clear that they intend to continue playing Kansas at Arrowhead as well as some sort of basketball tournament in KC.

I suspect they'll be done with this in another week or two.

Didn't the board give Deaton the same authority to act a couple of weeks ago? I could've sworn that they did. This looks like a delay tactic to me. Don't get me wrong. I think Mizzou is set on leaving but they had to accommodate some unhappy folks in KC before they did. I think Mizzou is now settled on their end.

The lack of an announcement today would seem to indicate that the SEC schools have a few things to iron out still before formally issuing the invite. Maybe the conference divisions thing is still up for debate?

Didn't the board give Deaton the same authority to act a couple of weeks ago? I could've sworn that they did. This looks like a delay tactic to me. Don't get me wrong. I think Mizzou is set on leaving but they had to accommodate some unhappy folks in KC before they did. I think Mizzou is now settled on their end.

The lack of an announcement today would seem to indicate that the SEC schools have a few things to iron out still before formally issuing the invite. Maybe the conference divisions thing is still up for debate?
---------------------

If they go, the next step is a letter to the Big 12; then an application to the SEC; then an acceptance; but they are not going to make announcements until each move is made.

If it plays out like aTm then Mizzou will first have to withdraw from the Big XII before the SEC will invite them or accept their application. It should be easier than aTm's transition since Bevo & Co. have signed on for 6 more years.

NOTE ANDY KATZ thread above: Swofford indicates ACC can take 'Cuse and Pitt when they want including next year...at what cost or even ACC take no more BE teams for a while...who knows...but if this is case, then I am sure WVU and others can escape 27 months detention too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom