Looks like we've got three options | Syracusefan.com

Looks like we've got three options

RF2044

Living Legend
Option 1: Play BJ Johnson more. He slides into the bench spot previously occupied by Roberson, who obviously now starts. Hope that BJ can show some of the decent rebounding he showed earlier in the season, and that he finds his offensive game [which might indirectly help our semi-anemic offense]. And hope that BJ's /Roberson's / Gbinije's ability to play more than one position [albeit imperfectly] will help to mask a lack of depth.

Option 2: Start playing Obokoh. As demonstrated today, he would probably foul out in 7 minutes, but you roll with that as an inferior option to McCullough sliding over to spell Rak, because he's the only center on the roster. Unless...

Option 3: Burn Coleman's redshirt. We had virtually no depth at center behind Rak--and that was BEFORE McCullough's injury. He isn't ready now, and might not be for a few more weeks, but he'd give us a more experienced option and a true big who's played before. Probably not an ideal situation to burn the kid's redshirt for two months of play, from a strategic standpoint.

I'm not advocating any of the three--but it seems to me that these are our only viable options.

Option 1: Play BJ Johnson more. He slides into the bench spot previously occupied by Roberson, who obviously now starts. Hope that BJ can show some of the decent rebounding he showed earlier in the season, and that he finds his offensive game [which might indirectly help our semi-anemic offense].

Option 2: Start playing Obokoh. As demonstrated today, he would probably foul out in 7 minutes, but you roll with that as an inferior option to McCullough sliding over to spell Rak, because he's the only center on the roster. Unless...

Option 3: Burn Coleman's redshirt. We had virtually no depth at center behind Rak--and that was BEFORE McCullough's injury. He isn't ready now, and might not be for a few more weeks, but he'd give us a more experienced option and a true big who's played before. Probably not an ideal situation to burn the kid's redshirt for two months of play, from a strategic standpoint.

I'm not advocating any of the three--but it seems to me that these are our only viable options.
Options 1 and 2 are a given. Option 3 won't happen

There aren't three options.

BJ has to be able to step in for some minutes.

When the competition allows, have Chino in for a minute or two.

That is it.

If we try to go iron man you will see us fall off a cliff down the stretch worse than last year.

I really hope it's a combo of #s 1 & 2. But, I'm expecting JB rolls the dice with going 6 deep and then scrambling when foul trouble actually does occur

I really hope it's a combo of #s 1 & 2. But, I'm expecting JB rolls the dice with going 6 deep and then scrambling when foul trouble actually does occur

Yeah, I suppose that is the fourth option: play a six player rotation and cross your fingers.

I just don't think that's viable. Rak seems to pick up lots of fouls.

Yeah, I suppose that is the fourth option: play a six player rotation and cross your fingers.

I just don't think that's viable. Rak seems to pick up lots of fouls.
I just think he has essentially no trust whatsoever in either BJ or Chino to give them any significant minutes - unless he absolutely has no choice

I'm thinking of Chris' health first and foremost, but let's assume this is an ACL and he's done for the year, that means he'll be back next year. I have to think this means no chance we get Bryant, correct?:( That is not even counting a possible scholarship reduction, though that would probably take place in two years.

I think its option 1 with either 2 or 3.

Oh and option 5a - say some prayers for Christmas to stay out of foul trouble.

I'm thinking of Chris' health first and foremost, but let's assume this is an ACL and he's done for the year, that means he'll be back next year. I have to think this means no chance we get Bryant, correct?:( That is not even counting a possible scholarship reduction, though that would probably take place in two years.

I don't think that is accurate. Things will work themselves out if Bryant wants to come here.

Let's just assume [for now] that McCullough now has to return. BJ hasn't been playing--will he get more minutes now? Or will he seek more PT elsewhere? Ditto Patterson, with highly rated guards like Franklin / Richardson coming in. Maybe Obokoh doesn't envision that he'll ever play here. Maybe Coleman can't make it all the way back from his injury.

Lots of options, and we'd only need one to happen.

Option 1: Play BJ Johnson more. He slides into the bench spot previously occupied by Roberson, who obviously now starts. Hope that BJ can show some of the decent rebounding he showed earlier in the season, and that he finds his offensive game [which might indirectly help our semi-anemic offense]. And hope that BJ's /Roberson's / Gbinije's ability to play more than one position [albeit imperfectly] will help to mask a lack of depth.

Maybe a combination of 1 and 2. We should develop both BJ and Obokoh. But it may not be that dire. It looked like a minor knee sprain to me. Hopefuly CMac will be back in 2 to 3 weeks. Hopefully CMac will be back for the UNC game. Maybe sooner if we are lucky!

Start BJ and bring Roberson off the bench. If BJ struggles or the team gets off to a slow start, pull him for Tyler. If either BJ or Rak get quick fouls, insert Tyler. Use Obokoh for a minute or two here and there before tv timeouts or if Roberson is getting shoved around down low. Let him foul a couple times to change the pace/flow of the game and gain Rak a few more seconds of rest or just to waste time if Rak is in foul trouble. Roberson has shown he can rebound on the defensive end and hustles more than anyone else on the team. Tyler at least gives us an option on offense at the 5, I can't see Obokoh scoring on anything other than a putback.

3 is not an option and I hope it's not even considered. This team isn't winning anything this year and pushing a kid to play when he shouldn't would be asinine and a bad look. The Syr.com article today made in pretty clear Coleman and his family want him at 100%'before he steps on the court again. This isn't even an option.

And I don't think #2 is much of an option either. Chino is not good enough to play at this level, at least at this point. This is Deshonte Riley all over again, a kid with marginal ability forced onto the court when he probably doesnt even belong at this level. I hope the staff phases out the idea of bringing in such major projects and simply sticks with basketball players.

3 is not an option and I hope it's not even considered. This team isn't winning anything this year and pushing a kid to play when he shouldn't would be asinine and a bad look. The Syr.com article today made in pretty clear Coleman and his family want him at 100%'before he steps on the court again. This isn't even an option.

I think this is right. If JB hadn't already declared that Coleman wasn't coming back this year, this might be an option, but having said he was going to sit I don't know how you would reverse course on that decision at this point to try to throw a life preserver to what is probably a firm bubble team at best. We needed Coleman as an additional middle presence before McCullough went out and they determined he wasn't going to be ready enough or this season didn't have enough potential to bring him back to do that. So if we've lost what would have been a major ingredient in any success we were going to have you can't reverse course and risk Coleman's health by saying he is now ready or we just need him more now. This isn't the NFL.

The only option is to gear up BJ and Chino to fill the hole or simply play with a shorter rotation. Those are really the two realistic options we have at this point.

I hate to say it, but with CM injured it's even smarter to redshirt Coleman. The ceiling is probably lower now without CM and bringing back Coleman is only a wash and doesn't put us in a position to go to a higher level. You can't just look for the moment but also long term.

And I don't think #2 is much of an option either. Chino is not good enough to play at this level, at least at this point. This is Deshonte Riley all over again, a kid with marginal ability forced onto the court when he probably doesnt even belong at this level. I hope the staff phases out the idea of bringing in such major projects and simply sticks with basketball players.
Major agreement here, you can't put Coleman out there for the last 5 games assuming he would even be healthy enough at that point. DaJuan isn't healthy, rushing him back probably puts him at risk of screwing his knees so he has to retire, and you aren't just taking a season away but a career away.

As for Chino he is overmatched right now, but Rak was overmatched early on and so was Baye (and remember Baye is the guy Chino was supposed to emulate all defense, and rebounding with Zero offense) and they developed into great players by the end. Chino may or may not get there, but it sure looks like he won't right now unfortunately. Hopefully he was just a bit panicked by the huges trees on FSU last night

Why didnt Bj get any run last night post injury?

I agree with others who say it will be option 1 and option 2.

Patterson will get 10 minutes
BJ will get 5 minutes
Chino will get 5 minutes

The starting 5 will rack up a lot of minutes and be tired by the end of season in conference stretch.

Cheers,
Neil

Major agreement here, you can't put Coleman out there for the last 5 games assuming he would even be healthy enough at that point. DaJuan isn't healthy, rushing him back probably puts him at risk of screwing his knees so he has to retire, and you aren't just taking a season away but a career away.

As for Chino he is overmatched right now, but Rak was overmatched early on and so was Baye (and remember Baye is the guy Chino was supposed to emulate all defense, and rebounding with Zero offense) and they developed into great players by the end. Chino may or may not get there, but it sure looks like he won't right now unfortunately. Hopefully he was just a bit panicked by the huges trees on FSU last night

Baye may have been overpowered at times, but he was never overmatched. He was very good as a freshman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom