Looks like we've got three options | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Looks like we've got three options

I don't think Boeheim has any choice other than to play BJ more and get Chino in there for 5-8 minutes. At the very least, hopefully the opposing big man can't shoot FT's and Chino can just foul the heck out of everybody.

I know BJ doesn't play because Jim doesn't like his defense, but tough. If the alternative is playing 4 of our starters 35+ minutes, he has no choice... Unless he wants to encounter more injuries and have players with nothing in the tank late in games.

I don't think that is accurate. Things will work themselves out if Bryant wants to come here.

Let's just assume [for now] that McCullough now has to return. BJ hasn't been playing--will he get more minutes now? Or will he seek more PT elsewhere? Ditto Patterson, with highly rated guards like Franklin / Richardson coming in. Maybe Obokoh doesn't envision that he'll ever play here. Maybe Coleman can't make it all the way back from his injury.

Lots of options, and we'd only need one to happen.

I think its highly probable that BJ will transfer if he doesnt get any minutes now. If you get no run when a team is only going 6 deep, then u never will. I dont blame him if he goes, he can start at alot of schools. He just might never have a place here.

Is DC even medically capable of playing? If he is still hurt (which seems like he is), then it isn't right to make him play that way and maybe even risk further long term injury.

I can see BJ getting more playing time and maybe even playing Roberson at the #5 a bit. This isn't optimal, but when you only have 1.5 centers (Oboko is .5), then you don't have a ton of options.

That or put Christian White at center? Nobody would know what to expect.

Why didnt Bj get any run last night post injury?

Because FSU was pretty big inside and he is too small to help at the 4 or 5 against that team.

I think our substitutions are really, really difficult right now. Last night we had short stretches of game where we had three non-contributors to the offense on the floor at the same time. For that reason I don't think JB was taking Cooney or Gbinije out of the game unless they dropped dead on the floor and even then he may have left them out there.

Because FSU was pretty big inside and he is too small to help at the 4 or 5 against that team.

I think our substitutions are really, really difficult right now. Last night we had short stretches of game where we had three non-contributors to the offense on the floor at the same time. For that reason I don't think JB was taking Cooney or Gbinije out of the game unless they dropped dead on the floor and even then he may have left them out there.
But that is going to happen against alot of teams, we can't just say it's an isolated scenario against FSU. What happens if Rak needs a breather/gets into foul trouble against Ville with Harrell or Duke with Okafor or UNC with their size.

At least BJJ gives us a different dimension against those teams as someone who they have to honor on the perimeter. While we will get killed on the boards and inside with Rak out BJJ forces the opposing big to play away from the basket. Chino can give us a few minutes but when he does KJ must become a scoring threat. The Rajon Rondo act works when he has Cooney and G on the wings with Rak down low and a capable scorer in Roberson. When one of those guys goes out and we bring in a Patterson/Obokoh/BJJ, KJ has to look for his shot at times and take it when he's left open.

But that is going to happen against alot of teams, we can't just say it's an isolated scenario against FSU. What happens if Rak needs a breather/gets into foul trouble against Ville with Harrell or Duke with Okafor or UNC with their size.

At least BJJ gives us a different dimension against those teams as someone who they have to honor on the perimeter. While we will get killed on the boards and inside with Rak out BJJ forces the opposing big to play away from the basket. Chino can give us a few minutes but when he does KJ must become a scoring threat. The Rajon Rondo act works when he has Cooney and G on the wings with Rak down low and a capable scorer in Roberson. When one of those guys goes out and we bring in a Patterson/Obokoh/BJJ, KJ has to look for his shot at times and take it when he's left open.

I am not arguing against playing BJ. In fact, I've been arguing all season long that we need to get minutes for all the subs because we're going to need them. If CMAC is hurt for an extended period this only becomes more obvious, because there is little chance that Rak is going to be able to play 40 minutes a game for the remainder of the season and continue to be any kind of defensive presence.

For that reason I don't think JB was taking Cooney or Gbinije out of the game unless they dropped dead on the floor and even then he may have left them out there.

Weekend at Bernie's Orange style!

option 4: a lot of small ball - Roberson backs up Roc and the sole big is surrounded by Joseph, Cooney, G & Patterson. JB has gone to school on Jay Wright for years, he's certainly picked up a few things and probably has some ideas for enhancing it.

option 5:

moqui said:
option 4: a lot of small ball - Roberson backs up Roc and the sole big is surrounded by Joseph, Cooney, G & Patterson. JB has gone to school on Jay Wright for years, he's certainly picked up a few things and probably has some ideas for enhancing it. option 5: YouTube Video

I'd rather see us go small than play Chinoso. He's going to be eaten up by anybody no matter what their size is.

No shot Coleman's redshirt gets burned. I'll put my head through a wall if that happens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom