Loose Balls | Syracusefan.com

Loose Balls

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
People are going to talk about the Shooting and Turnovers, but I'm still waiting for us to get our 1st loose ball from that game. So many balls touched our hands and we either lost them or had them knocked out. As the announcers said, Georgia Tech played harder and outhustled us.

People are going to talk about the Shooting and Turnovers, but I'm still waiting for us to get our 1st loose ball from that game. So many balls touched our hands and we either lost them or had them knocked out. As the announcers said, Georgia Tech played harder and outhustled us.

long lanky dudes that are built for zone defense are not going to win the battle of loose balls on the floor vs a bunch of midgets.

long lanky dudes that are built for zone defense are not going to win the battle of loose balls on the floor vs a bunch of midgets.
Forget about winning, how about competing?

Loose balls have been a problem with this team for many years. It completely drives me nuts why we can't hang on to the ball or come up with our share during scrambles. Part of it is our big men putting the ball in bad positions when receiving passes or getting rebounds. I will repeat a comment I have probably made several times in here - hire Jack Tatum as an assistant and get some black market stickum.

Loose balls have been a problem with this team for many years. It completely drives me nuts why we can't hang on to the ball or come up with our share during scrambles. Part of it is our big men putting the ball in bad positions when receiving passes or getting rebounds. I will repeat a comment I have probably made several times in here - hire Jack Tatum as an assistant and get some black market stickum.

Jack's not available: Jack Tatum - Wikipedia

I've always thought there should be a drill where the guy closest to the ball goes to the floor to get it and the next closest guy positions himself for an outlet pass. We try to get loose balls by reaching for them standing up and dribbling them.

So loose balls drive you nuts ? May I suggest the under armour boxer jock ?

Had the same exact thought.....
Forget about winning, how about competing?
I'm trying not to go there but......it just seems like players on some teams would run through a wall for their team and (dare I say) coach. Our teams have not had this for some time now. Did see how disruptive Alvarado was last night. He didn't shoot lights out, but he hustled the whole game. We have that nonchalant attitude all too often. Instead of going for a ball out of bounce with two hands...we try to dribble it. WHERE ARE YOU GOING WITH IT IF WE DID KEEP IT INBOUNDS WHILE DRIBBLING?? Fast break?? You gotta be kidding.

There actually is a plastic surgery available for that nowadays. I am not kidding.

Yes loose balls were an issue last night. Nothing seemed to bounce our way. But I don’t think it’s been a problem all year. Many people on here have lauded this team for how hard it plays and getting on the floor for loose balls.

Trevor Cooney got his share.

Yes loose balls were an issue last night. Nothing seemed to bounce our way. But I don’t think it’s been a problem all year. Many people on here have lauded this team for how hard it plays and getting on the floor for loose balls.
It's not just this year. It seems just about every year we get outhustled, which is most glaring against recent Pitt teams (under Dixon), but is true in most games. While multiple guys on other teams are diving for loose balls, we're just reaching out and hoping to get it (with a few guys over the years who have been exceptions, such as Mike Hopkins, Ongenaet). I think it was guys from Buffalo who commented after our game that watching film, they could see we were soft.

It's not just this year. It seems just about every year we get outhustled, which is most glaring against recent Pitt teams (under Dixon), but is true in most games. While multiple guys on other teams are diving for loose balls, we're just reaching out and hoping to get it (with a few guys over the years who have been exceptions, such as Mike Hopkins, Ongenaet). I think it was guys from Buffalo who commented after our game that watching film, they could see we were soft.

I don't agree that's been the case this year.

Maybe, just maybe, the guys were gassed from playing 40 minutes a night? Be it physical or emotional, it makes cowards of us all.

How come we have such a good record over the years? Luck?

Maybe, just maybe, the guys were gassed from playing 40 minutes a night? Be it physical or emotional, it makes cowards of us all.
But this IS the team makeup every year. 6.5 guys is the norm under Coach B. So like it or not, this is the way it has been. Will it change??? 4 more years (Please don't redshirt Buddy) of time to change that approach. Sanctions...blah , blah... running players off has had as much influence on #s.. I'll stop the rambling rant...lol

How come we have such a good record over the years? Luck?
Many of us remember the glory years. You know early Big East forward...I brainwashed my kids into loving SU. My son remembers 2003 as a kid. This is for the other FB board , but Mcnabb too. But as students 1 child had the Arinze and Wes years to enjoy...with no FB. The other child has seen mediocrity at best and even worse in FB. Yes, the Silent G year......but what else?? Ya know, the what have you done for me lately??? The ACC years...not so good. Praying for change not status quo.

Many of us remember the glory years. You know early Big East forward...I brainwashed my kids into loving SU. My son remembers 2003 as a kid. This is for the other FB board , but Mcnabb too. But as students 1 child had the Arinze and Wes years to enjoy...with no FB. The other child has seen mediocrity at best and even worse in FB. Yes, the Silent G year...but what else?? Ya know, the what have you done for me lately??? The ACC years...not so good. Praying for change not status quo.
two final fours in the last 5 years isn't so bad. We struggled when we were hit with sanctions the last time. You probably weren't around yet. At that time, we got lucky with Moten being great and Wallace living nearby. When we come out of the sanctions, we will be back.

Early on yes. the last 10 games or so have been lazy efforts to truly hustle. This is the shadow of the leader.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom