Lots of empty baby blue seats at UNC tonight.. | Syracusefan.com

Lots of empty baby blue seats at UNC tonight..

Not good at all...friend of mine is wondering if they will make the NIT...

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

Even their fans don't think this is the Tarheels' year.
I have several friends who are diehard Heel fans. They are in misery! The thing is, isn't this the second time they've had a VERY terrible team under Roy Williams? The first one was 09/10. We beat them in the Garden that fall and were thrilled because WE HAD BEATEN CAROLINA! Turns out, they had an awful team. And we had a great one even so.

Anyway, I take no pleasure in a basketball power having a horrible season (unless they're Kentucky). I think it drags everything down.

It has to make you wonder how they can be so awful when Roy is always loading up on McD AAs. This isn't the first time it's happened...

It has to make you wonder how they can be so awful when Roy is always loading up on McD AAs. This isn't the first time it's happened...
My friend Aziz who has been a fan for about 40 years is not impressed with Williams and blames him. Most of my friends try not to do that. I lived in NC during the Dean Smith years and boy, did they adore him!

My friend Aziz who has been a fan for about 40 years is not impressed with Williams and blames him. Most of my friends try not to do that. I lived in NC during the Dean Smith years and boy, did they adore him!

For what it's worth, Dean Smith and Roy Williams have the same number of national titles (2) at UNC, but it took Dean 36 years and Roy only 10.

I was going to say, what years did they adore Dean? There was an awful lot of "he cant win the big one" surrounding him.

Blame him for what? Leaving Kansas, winning two titles, and sticking tons of kids in the league? Their roster got purged after last season with early entrants, really no different than Kentucky.

Sounds like the fools who aren't impressed with Boeheim.

Blame him for what? Leaving Kansas, winning two titles, and sticking tons of kids in the league? Their roster got purged after last season with early entrants, really no different than Kentucky.

Sounds like the fools who aren't impressed with Boeheim.

I have a few UNC fans as friends and they go back and forth on this a lot. There's some people who say he won his first title with the team that Doherty built that was loaded, and the second title team was absolutely loaded again and it took until they were all juniors and seniors to finally win. In terms of putting guys in the league his critics say that he gets tons of guys who are lock to play in the NBA regardless of where they go since he's been at UNC, onyl all of them pretty much see their draft stock plummet over their time there. Granted yes the roster did get purged like UK's but I think the situations are quite different. Kentucky is pretty much all first or second year players as usual. Meanwhile UNC starts a returning senior guard, junior guard who started after the senior guard who's back got hurt, a sophomore who was projected as a top 3 pick before the season started, all who were McDonald's all Americans. The team really isn't that young considering Strickland, bullock, Hairston, Mcadoo, McDonald all have solid experience, and the starting pg was the best pg in his class last year. They have 4-5 McDonald's all Americans on the roster, so if they aren't young and aren't lacking for talent...

Personally, I think Roy's a good coach, he wouldn't be where he is if he wasn't. Hes proven to be a great recruiter. unc always is bringing in great classes. i just feel like none of the big recruits who go to UNC really get that much better while they're there. Barnes, Henson, Mcadoo, Ellington, Bullock, Davis, Strickland, Hairston, all those guys were big time coming out of high achool and big nba prospexts and all saw their stock drop while there. I can't remember him ever winning a big game against a team equally or more talented than his either. He's had teams stocked with all Americans and NBA draft picks and they don't necessarily dominate or win as much like you'd think.

Teams used to win when great classes matured, like Hansbrough's win did.

They do get kids when you see them (Barnes) make you wonder how they ever were 5 star kids.

I have a few UNC fans as friends and they go back and forth on this a lot. There's some people who say he won his first title with the team that Doherty built that was loaded, and the second title team was absolutely loaded again and it took until they were all juniors and seniors to finally win. In terms of putting guys in the league his critics say that he gets tons of guys who are lock to play in the NBA regardless of where they go since he's been at UNC, onyl all of them pretty much see their draft stock plummet over their time there. Granted yes the roster did get purged like UK's but I think the situations are quite different. Kentucky is pretty much all first or second year players as usual. Meanwhile UNC starts a returning senior guard, junior guard who started after the senior guard who's back got hurt, a sophomore who was projected as a top 3 pick before the season started, all who were McDonald's all Americans. The team really isn't that young considering Strickland, bullock, Hairston, Mcadoo, McDonald all have solid experience, and the starting pg was the best pg in his class last year. They have 4-5 McDonald's all Americans on the roster, so if they aren't young and aren't lacking for talent...

Personally, I think Roy's a good coach, he wouldn't be where he is if he wasn't. Hes proven to be a great recruiter. unc always is bringing in great classes. i just feel like none of the big recruits who go to UNC really get that much better while they're there. Barnes, Henson, Mcadoo, Ellington, Bullock, Davis, Strickland, Hairston, all those guys were big time coming out of high achool and big nba prospexts and all saw their stock drop while there. I can't remember him ever winning a big game against a team equally or more talented than his either. He's had teams stocked with all Americans and NBA draft picks and they don't necessarily dominate or win as much like you'd think.

He is the Mike D'antoni of college basketball. His teams play no defense! Last night they could not defend a simple high pick and roll. I'm talking the whole night Miami ran the same play every time down court for the last 15mins of the game and UNC couldn't stop it. Roy doesn't call a TO until 1:40 mark +/- down 9 at home. They come out in a press and get a few TOs but it is to little to late. But if your team cannot stop the same play from being run over and over again and your team is the more talented team than it is on the coach.

I was going to say, what years did they adore Dean? There was an awful lot of "he cant win the big one" surrounding him.
From 1977 - 82 I worked at a little mental health center in a mill town. During the ACC tourney the director would bring a small tv in so that we could all watch when we weren't seeing clients. Mysteriously, not many clients were scheduled. They all adored Smith. Weirdly, the clearest memory I have of any game is one I didn't watch. It was the championship game of 82 that had Michael Jordan. I was pregnant but didn't know it. For some reason, I could not get out of bed. My husband was watching the game in the living room and he was yelling and screaming. He kept running into the bedroom to prod me out of bed, but I couldn't move. I heard him yelling, "OVERTIME!" I could not budge. We both wondered what the hell was wrong with me. In a couple weeks, we found out.

It's not a bad team. But Roy is a bad coach.

Roy Williams only contends once his players become experienced enough to overcome his stupidity.

It's not a bad team. But Roy is a bad coach.

Roy Williams only contends once his players become experienced enough to overcome his stupidity.

So then we have to dock Coach K three of his national titles, which he didn't win until Laettner/Hurley and Singler/Scheyer/Nolan Smith were upperclassmen.

So then we have to dock Coach K three of his national titles, which he didn't win until Laettner/Hurley and Singler/Scheyer/Nolan Smith were upperclassmen.

What does any of that have to do with Roy Williams being a bad coach?

What does any of that have to do with Roy Williams being a bad coach?

You said that Roy Williams only contends once his players become experienced. I just think that's a silly concept. Most coaches (including the best coach in the game, Coach K) win when their players become more experienced.

Did Williams ever have any young teams at Kansas? He contended every year he was there, I'm sure he had some young teams.

I remember in 2006, he had a really young team, lost a ton of talent off the title team, and was second in the ACC. Hell, in 07, he made the final four with a team that ranked 329th int he country on Pomeroy's experience metric. In 2011, they were 323rd in experience, and they won 29 games, ACC regular season, and made the Elite 8.

He's had two bad teams 20 years (assuming this one doesn't turn it around, maybe you can argue his first Carolina team wasn't good and you can call it 3 bad teams); have they really been experienced the other 18 years?

Looking at UNC this year makes the sting of losing AO and Fab even greater. Having teams that win it all and then the ability to re-load with a balance of veteran talent is such a difficult thing to sustain. Just think how we would be viewed if we won both of those years and then still brought in the classes we have going through 2014. Its really quite an accomplishment. In some ways aside from 03- it still makes us a little like the Eagles.. always good to really good but..

Thats no knock on JB - a lot of it is just bad luck.

How many coach K teams ended up in the NIT? This will be Roy's second in 4 years and they have more McDonald's All-Americans than we do. If JB lost to Virgina on the road and Miami at home he would be getting destroyed based on the talent we have on this team.

You said that Roy Williams only contends once his players become experienced. I just think that's a silly concept. Most coaches (including the best coach in the game, Coach K) win when their players become more experienced.

Once again your point is irrelevant. It would only be relevant if I said all coaches are bad until they win with experienced and talented players. And that is not what I said.

I said Roy Williams is a bad coach who has won titles in spite of himself. I am not sure how the accomplishments of other coaches with experienced or inexperienced teams have any impact on that statement.

You can disagree on whether he is a bad coach - I am sure many will. But your counter comment above is not logical.

Did Williams ever have any young teams at Kansas? He contended every year he was there, I'm sure he had some young teams.

I remember in 2006, he had a really young team, lost a ton of talent off the title team, and was second in the ACC. Hell, in 07, he made the final four with a team that ranked 329th int he country on Pomeroy's experience metric. In 2011, they were 323rd in experience, and they won 29 games, ACC regular season, and made the Elite 8.

He's had two bad teams 20 years (assuming this one doesn't turn it around, maybe you can argue his first Carolina team wasn't good and you can call it 3 bad teams); have they really been experienced the other 18 years?

But when you have top 5 talent every year you should never be in the NIT.

How many coach K teams ended up in the NIT? This will be Roy's second in 4 years and they have more McDonald's All-Americans than we do. If JB lost to Virgina on the road and Miami at home he would be getting destroyed based on the talent we have on this team.

Assuming they make it, it will be his second in 4 years. But it will also be his second in 22 years or however long he's been coaching. (though if they were eligible for the post season in his first year they'd have been an NIT team that year also).

But also, no one is saying Roy is as good as K.

Not sure he had top 5 talent in 2010. Davis was a lotto pick. Henson was a frosh, Zeller a soph. He had no real PG. Talent, but top 5?

Assuming they make it, it will be his second in 4 years. But it will also be his second in 22 years or however long he's been coaching. (though if they were eligible for the post season in his first year they'd have been an NIT team that year also).

But also, no one is saying Roy is as good as K.

You watch enough basketball to tell when a team is not well coached. Trust your eyes over the stats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom