Lots to like tonight... | Syracusefan.com

Lots to like tonight...

Jake

Mod
I thought Battle was great defensively. His lateral quickness and quick hands were a distraction at the top of the zone. Loved his drive to the hoop.

Ball movement, ball movement, ball movement.

Two defensive possessions into the game it was like I found an old friend...the defensive rotations were back in synch. It was shocking.

Everyone bodied up defensively for the first time in a long time. We played PHYSICAL on both ends of the floor.

Lydon finally worked the blocks tonight. Some great feeds to the post and he played strong. He really showed the ability to shoot, post up and put the ball on the deck and drive.

For those of you bitching about "we never run an offense" should watch the sets and ball movement in the first 10 minutes of the game against a big physical m2m team. The coaching looks better when the execution is better.

Gillon has been handed the keys. No looking over his shoulder...no bitching by the coach. He looked more relaxed.

As much as Roberson makes me want to through a shoe through my TV at times, he is critical to the success of this team. Great to see him contribute. He was great tonight.

Did I mention the ball movement was better?

We're still missing depth and our margin for error is still slim,but if we get that kind of effort and play tough every night, I'll be happy no matter the w's and l's.

Saw the exact same from 108. I hope it's not fools gold, but I believe we found a lineup. If the D plays like that and Lydon and White can carry us on offense we will be thought to beat.

I thought Battle was great defensively. His lateral quickness and quick hands were a distraction at the top of the zone. Loved his drive to the hoop.

Two defensive possessions into the game it was like I found an old friend...the defensive rotations were back in synch. It was shocking.

Everyone bodied up defensively for the first time in a long time. We played PHYSICAL on both ends of the floor.

Lydon finally worked the blocks tonight. Some great feeds to the post and he played strong. He really showed the ability to shoot, post up and put the ball on the deck and drive.

For those of you bitching about "we never run an offense" should watch the sets and ball movement in the first 10 minutes of the game against a big physical m2m team. The coaching looks better when the execution is better.

Gillon has been handed the keys. No looking over his shoulder...no bitching by the coach. He looked more relaxed.

As much as Roberson makes me want to through a shoe through my TV at times, he is critical to the success of this team. Great to see him contribute. He was great tonight.

We're still missing depth and our margin for error is still slim,but if we get that kind of effort and play tough every night, I'll be happy no matter the w's and l's.
Yes, Jake, the reason the losses were so awful was the way we lost! We looked hapless, helpless, hopeless. We looked like crap! I had little hope when I entered the Dome, and the people in my section all had sad puppy eyes. To actually see them play defense and stop someone!!! It was like, "Helloooo, lover!"

I really do not believe we will beat Duke, Carolina, the Ville, etc. but if we can just be IN the game and not look like damn fools . . . . I will be happy. (Wait. Are we playing Duke with Coach K or Capel? Hmmmmm.) (No, we won't beat Duke.) I don't care! I'm happy tonight.

Great post, Jake. And no doubt, some messages were being sent with the lack of substitutions / minutes tonight.

But to your main point--what a welcome change it was to see a functional offense, and a defense that worked hard.

The talent is there (altho there is incredible parity in college ball so that doesnt mean a tremendous amount) just have to compete hard and have some leadership with the ball...

Yes, Jake, the reason the losses were so awful was the way we lost! We looked hapless, helpless, hopeless. We looked like crap! I had little hope when I entered the Dome, and the people in my section all had sad puppy eyes. To actually see them play defense and stop someone!!! It was like, "Helloooo, lover!"

I really do not believe we will beat Duke, Carolina, the Ville, etc. but if we can just be IN the game and not look like damn fools . . . . I will be happy. (Wait. Are we playing Duke with Coach K or Capel? Hmmmmm.) (No, we won't beat Duke.) I don't care! I'm happy tonight.
Not sure we get to 9-9 but tonite tells me we will beat at least one ranked opponent this year

Just on Lydon. I love him on the pick and roll (though Gillon ignored him wide open from 3 many times) and posting up, not so much off the dribble.

Looked like a NCAA team tonight...not ready to say they will be invited...but the NIT looks more reachable than 24 hours ago.

They were a fun team to watch tonight and the fans were into it, happy to cheer them on. They played aggressively, gave effort on both ends of the floor and the fans were more than happy to respond. The bench was into the game also. D.C., Taurean Thompson were up and very vocal despite their own minutes.

Listened to White post-game's interview. He's a very well spoken young man. Thought it was interesting that he said they watched film on Miami to study their tendencies and also on correct zone rotations. He said it really helped , studying the film and he plans to do it even more. Sounded like it was a new or more intensive effort to turn things around. White's effort rebounding was really good. Miami was 2nd in rebounding in the ACC . We won the rebounding battle overall (30-26) but lost offensive rebounds (5-12). It may have been a calculated concession to set up the defense quickly preventing unsettled defensive opportunities for Miami to exploit. Roberson' effort is necessary for this team to compete. As Jake aptly put , movement was key both offensively and defensively. Even when scoring it often took over 20-25 seconds for Miami to find a decent shot. We contested defensively and made them work - great to see and hope the focus and execution continues!

As an aside, I really enjoyed the B'ville high school band. They were energetic, loud and played different songs. Hope the SU band takes notice.

They were a fun team to watch tonight and the fans were into it, happy to cheer them on. They played aggressively, gave effort on both ends of the floor and the fans were more than happy to respond. The bench was into the game also. D.C., Taurean Thompson were up and very vocal despite their own minutes.

Listened to White post-game's interview. He's a very well spoken young man. Thought it was interesting that he said they watched film on Miami to study their tendencies and also on correct zone rotations. He said it really helped , studying the film and he plans to do it even more. Sounded like it was a new or more intensive effort to turn things around. White's effort rebounding was really good. Miami was 2nd in rebounding in the ACC . We won the rebounding battle overall (30-26) but lost offensive rebounds (5-12). It may have been a calculated concession to set up the defense quickly preventing unsettled defensive opportunities for Miami to exploit. Roberson' effort is necessary for this team to compete. As Jake aptly put , movement was key both offensively and defensively. Even when scoring it often took over 20-25 seconds for Miami to find a decent shot. We contested defensively and made them work - great to see and hope the focus and execution continues!

As an aside, I really enjoyed the B'ville high school band. They were energetic, loud and played different songs. Hope the SU band takes notice.
Cherie, I wrote a letter to Syracuse.com commending the band, and then forgot to look to see if it got published. They are fantastic and really added to the fun tonight!

We won the rebounding battle overall (30-26) but lost offensive rebounds (5-12).

We missed 19 shots and 2 FTs, Miami missed 33 shots and 8 FTs. A better rate for Miami by a bit, but not much more than random variation.

Who throws a shoe? Honestly?

To me it was all about toughness tonight. After a key timeout called by JB in the second half they played with balls the rest of the night and with aggression - loved seeing it. Don't know how many games they will win but if they play with balls and pride each game I'll be happy. Let's Go Orange!

You really should have said something about the ball movement...

The movement of the feet and hands was good, too.

This was AW3's best game in Orange. Sure he still had a few missteps defensively - but he was a beast on the glass, had a few nice drives, and overall was way better on defense.

JB needed to find his 5, and he did, he just usually finds it earlier than this. It's almost like he had too many pieces so it took him longer than usual.

Has TT become the token starter? I think so...he is such a liability on defense right now.

Miami did get some open looks from beyond the arc. However, I thought the difference tonight was that they were farther from the hoop and closed out faster than in the past.

Also, I am not sure if Jake mentioned it but the ball movement on offense was better.

I LOVED the rebounding and the ball movement and communication and recognition on defense. Nobody was just standing around. Guys were seeking picks to set. Multiple high screens with guys rolling and popping all over the place. It really makes the opposing defense work and eventually an offensive opportunity presents itself and we have the weapons to take advantage of those opportunities.

I don't get it. It looked like we had 6 guys out there tonight on defense. How on earth was this the same team that played against the crappy former big east teams and that crap BC team? It's almost more frustrating see them play this way knowing it was in them all along.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom