Lots to like tonight... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lots to like tonight...

I don't get it. It looked like we had 6 guys out there tonight on defense. How on earth was this the same team that played against the crappy former big east teams and that crap BC team? It's almost more frustrating see them play this way knowing it was in them all along.

It's all about knowing what the hell is going on. Lydon and Roberson were both on the floor when the defense looked great. Add in White and Gillon, two transfers that though they are still learning the system, are mature enough as basketball players to know where to be on the floor (I think they just took time to buy into the zone), and Battle (who still can use some work but is the best option (second best?) up at the top of the zone.

They know what to do now. THEY have seen what they can do to teams. Let's see what they do going forward.

I don't get it. It looked like we had 6 guys out there tonight on defense. How on earth was this the same team that played against the crappy former big east teams and that crap BC team? It's almost more frustrating see them play this way knowing it was in them all along.

Agreed. No excuse for this team having 6 losses if it has the potential to play the way it did last night.

We're also just a better team when Lydon plays the 5. We knew that last year but JB had too many pieces there
Exactly. He's good at the 5 but had a bunch of defensive lapses playing the forward spot in previous games. He and white were scary at the forward position together. And TT just doesn't get the defense yet. Hope he does eventually, but he's not ready.

The guards rotated far better, and Roberson knows the zone. When he's engaged, he's effective. Plus, and I don't think anyone mentioned this yet, ball movement.

Just a random thought - loved seeing Lydon's cat quick drop step move for a layup. First time I recall him ever using that or any back to the basket move. Impressive execution.

One of the first baskets in the 2nd half correct? Kid looked like he belonged in the post.

I think it makes a huge difference in the zone when one guy isn't playing it properly. The zone is can be crazy effective, but it's also pretty delicate. If something is out of whack in one area (either someone not understanding the rotations, playing out of position, not playing hard, etc.), it can really derail the rest of the defense.

1st time all year this team looked connected. They played together, moved the ball like they cared about each other & even actively cheered for each other from the bench (outside of Frank who mostly just salked). If we stay connected we have enough talent to bounce back in the ACC. Can we win 11 more games and get on the bubble? Will certainly be very difficult, but you gotta play the game before you can lose the game so I will use last night as hope that this is a 2nd half team.

Nice to read some positive vibes on the board for a change. I'm tired of reading the Obituaries.

I fear that we have dug ourselves too deep of a hole to do anything meaningful this season, but it was good to see the guys play with a tenacity that has been sorely lacking this season. If that team that played last night had been around all season, I don't think we would be sitting here with 6 losses wondering what the heck has happened.

Hey...what the ball movement? I have seen everything else mentioned here...I think ball movement was one of the keys last night...I am surprised I am the first to mention this...

They played a great game. I know I, and many others, did not think we had that type of performance in us. I was wrong. They played with effort, hustled, had an idea of what they wanted to do on O (still needs improvement) and did a fantastic job on the defensive end. Specifically JG and TB play their butts off at the top of the zone, and the wings played better. Roberson, if he didn't leave his feet 3-4 times, played an excellent all-around game. AW had some defensive issues, but they were overcome by solid shooting and a fantastic job on the glass. Lydon finally attacked more in the 2nd half, and while I wish he was more aggressive instead of hesitating, he's definitely playing well.

This is a game to build off of. The lineup looks set in place and the guys should finally understand the effort needed on both ends. I don't think there was any question that having Howard sit was beneficial on this night. He's been so bad on both ends all year, and it was time for him to sit and hopefully learn something. We'll see how he handles it. As for Gillon, great game. He brought in on both ends, routinely shutting off the driving lanes after the first 5-7 minutes of the game and finding through screens. He still had 5 TO's, but I'll take that in 40 minutes, especially if he's going to have an efficient performance distributing and find Roberson/Lydon inside for easy buckets. If we had that PG play all year, we might have a few more W's. I don't expect his success to continue to that level, especially when we see L'ville, UVA and other really tough D's, but last night was great and if we get anything close to that, we should be thrilled.

I think we have a 6-man rotation now. The starting 5 and Roberson to fill in for TT when he gets in foul trouble. If we need more O, TT may play more, but Robey has earned his minutes back. He's playing hard, avoiding garbage fouls for the most part, converting inside and just being active. That's what he needs to continue to do.

Man, it was really nice to play well and basically dominate the game against a solid team. Miami is probably a tourney level team (might not make just because of how deep/tough our league is) and we just handled them quite well. They've been a tough opponent for us in the ACC, so that was extra encouraging. Of course, now we have Pitt coming in, so the good feelings may not last. Artis/Young are playing so well on top of how difficult they are on us, so it'll be a challenge. I, at least, feel pretty good about how we'll play the game. I just want that effort.

PS: we ran a play on the opening possession of the game for an easy AW jumper. Can we have more of that?!? There was definitely more ball movement, but we still stand around too much and after the initial screens and passes, everything breaks down. If we can continue getting movement and ball movement, the offense will come. But no more stagnant, pound the ball into the floor offense, please!!

They played a great game. I know I, and many others, did not think we had that type of performance in us. I was wrong. They played with effort, hustled, had an idea of what they wanted to do on O (still needs improvement) and did a fantastic job on the defensive end. Specifically JG and TB play their butts off at the top of the zone, and the wings played better. Roberson, if he didn't leave his feet 3-4 times, played an excellent all-around game. AW had some defensive issues, but they were overcome by solid shooting and a fantastic job on the glass. Lydon finally attacked more in the 2nd half, and while I wish he was more aggressive instead of hesitating, he's definitely playing well.

This is a game to build off of. The lineup looks set in place and the guys should finally understand the effort needed on both ends. I don't think there was any question that having Howard sit was beneficial on this night. He's been so bad on both ends all year, and it was time for him to sit and hopefully learn something. We'll see how he handles it. As for Gillon, great game. He brought in on both ends, routinely shutting off the driving lanes after the first 5-7 minutes of the game and finding through screens. He still had 5 TO's, but I'll take that in 40 minutes, especially if he's going to have an efficient performance distributing and find Roberson/Lydon inside for easy buckets. If we had that PG play all year, we might have a few more W's. I don't expect his success to continue to that level, especially when we see L'ville, UVA and other really tough D's, but last night was great and if we get anything close to that, we should be thrilled.

I think we have a 6-man rotation now. The starting 5 and Roberson to fill in for TT when he gets in foul trouble. If we need more O, TT may play more, but Robey has earned his minutes back. He's playing hard, avoiding garbage fouls for the most part, converting inside and just being active. That's what he needs to continue to do.

Man, it was really nice to play well and basically dominate the game against a solid team. Miami is probably a tourney level team (might not make just because of how deep/tough our league is) and we just handled them quite well. They've been a tough opponent for us in the ACC, so that was extra encouraging. Of course, now we have Pitt coming in, so the good feelings may not last. Artis/Young are playing so well on top of how difficult they are on us, so it'll be a challenge. I, at least, feel pretty good about how we'll play the game. I just want that effort.

PS: we ran a play on the opening possession of the game for an easy AW jumper. Can we have more of that?!? There was definitely more ball movement, but we still stand around too much and after the initial screens and passes, everything breaks down. If we can continue getting movement and ball movement, the offense will come. But no more stagnant, pound the ball into the floor offense, please!!

Andrew White has "sat us down" 10 times this year and on 8 of those occasions it was within the first minute and likely our first possession. Tyler Lydon is second on this list with 4 sit-downs. That means that Boeheim likely designs opening plays to get a good shot for White.

I know most will say that the key was Gillon running the show for the entire game. And although that's a valid point, I think just as important was Roberson getting the big "starters-like" minutes. He is our best rebounder, our best defender, and probably the most athletic player on the team, at least when he wants to be; thus, besides playing better defensively, in general the team just seems to be more athletic with him on the floor (assuming of course he stays engaged as another poster mentioned). The one knock on him (besides not always being engaged), is that his offensive game has not taken the next step (like it did for Rak). However, if JB is going to continue to play the 3 big offensive guys the huge (38-40) minutes then it doesn't really matter what Robey gives you offensively, as long as he doesn't miss a lot of bunnies (which he has done a lot this year). He basically becomes a good complement to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom