Louisville Game - Greenberg Spitting Truth | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville Game - Greenberg Spitting Truth

Grandfathers say things.

If a program is a player away he's a risky one to roll the dice on.
Yeah I don’t know what position he can play on a college team that’s contending at this point. If he wants to continue to play how he does, he should just go G league and work on his game, I guess. He doesn’t want to be a point guard clearly

Seth was on the ball.. Red clearly sees it too. He doesn’t look like a coach who is going to rest on his laurels. Also pretty clear the staff is frustrated with Judah and his unwillingness to break bad habits.
...agree on staff frustration with Judah but short of sitting his butt on the bench, they will not get hus attention. I am not sure even that will work. Possibly his grandfather can speak to him???

Judah, prediction. His grandfather said somewhere on this forum that he wants to play for a "contender."
...after today's game,maybe Clemson will pick him up.. He provided them a lot of scoring opportuniyies today

He was clearly doing Red's bidding with some of the comments. That said it was an enjoyable listen until he got totally lost on the goaltend situation.
How could he not? What the refs did was complete freestylin’. They created their own rules by in which you can review a play, realize you made the wrong call, but ignore it because the right result luckily occurred anyway.

Thinking about it more, Greenberg wouldn't dare go off the rails like that without talking to autry. If they're that close and you weren't sure how anyone felt, you wouldn't go that far out on a limb

This was my take, too. I think Autry vented to Greenberg before the game, and then when those bad habits showed themselves, Seth was carrying Autry's water. He also made the point a few times about Judah stopping the ball on offense, using too much of the clock to initiate a play, often resulting in Judah forcing a late shot into traffic.

This was my take, too. I think Autry vented to Greenberg before the game, and then when those bad habits showed themselves, Seth was carrying Autry's water. He also made the point a few times about Judah stopping the ball on offense, using too much of the clock to initiate a play, often resulting in Judah forcing a late shot into traffic.

I often make that same point from the comfort of my couch with a few f bombs sprinkled in.

I'm a little late responding to this game. I was out of town and had to watch it recorded. For those who didn't watch the game, Greenberg was absolutely spitting truth. I haven't heard a commentator more spot on and connected with our team (and issues) in a very long time. Greenberg isn't my favorite, but he was on it. I captured some of those moments with my phone on video, but can't get them to upload. Therefore, sorry I don't have the video to show, but here are a few highlights that stood out to me...

Mintz
Greenberg talked about how Judah seems to have his mind made up before he even drives the ball into the paint, which leads to bad shots and solo ball.

Later in the game, while Mintz is at the free throw line, he asks a question like "if Mintz misses the free throw, is he going to sprint back on defense or is he going to take himself out of the play and defense by going for a low percentage steal?" Guess which one Judah did? Answer: he went for a steal, and was completely out of the play allowing Louisville a 5 on 4 drive to the basket.

Greenberg talked about Judah's steals stat. He just reminded the audience that just because you have a lot of steals, doesn't mean you're good on defense. He explained that what that could mean is that a player gambles a lot for steals, gets some, but also gives up a lot of easy baskets too because they take themselves out of the play. As we all know, that's what Judah does a lot.

The play, which caused any orange fan to melt down, was Mintz getting the ball with 28 seconds after Louisville cut our lead to two points. After Mintz stupidly drove out of control and turned the ball over, Greenberg said "Where are you going, son? You just can't make that play". If you missed it, you should see the video of Red walking down and looking directly at GMac. He was absolutely flabbergasted by what he just saw. Then GMac threw up his hands which looked something like "what the @#$@ is he doing". Fortunately for us, Bell saved us from disaster.

Mintz/Copeland
At about 13:47 left to play, Copland has the ball. He initiates the play by dribbling into the defense a bit to pull up a defender who sags off Brown. Copeland then executes a beautiful bounce pass to Maliq leading to an easy dunk. Greenberg talked about how Copeland does a better job than Mintz at seeing plays earlier and how Judah should be off the ball.

The Bench
There was a moment in the second half with only about 10 1/2 minutes to go where they showed our bench. Greenberg pointed out how our bench looked disengaged. Again, this was at a point where it was a 3pt game with 10 1/2 minutes to go! You could see both Bell and Judah sitting there with 0 energy. He talked about the importance of everyone being full engaged on the bench and being into the game. Then later, there was video showing Red going over and talking specifically with Bell. I'm not sure what Red said, but he was making a strong point to Bell in an animated way. Seconds later they showed Bell again and his facial expression was more positive and was clapping for the guys on the court (instead of sitting there disengaged). Greenberg was spot on and Red did a great job regaining Bell's focus.

There were many other observations that Seth made, but those are what I remember. Like Greenberg or not, he was on it during this game. My wife came in at one point and asked me who was commentating because she said he was being so critical. She was right, it was critical. However, it was also spot on.
You voice a lot of the thoughts I had watching/listening to the game. When was the last time tv announcers pointed out a bench's apparent disinterest in the game? Or how a coach went to a player to talk with him? I thought it great. Didn't think about the Autry- Greenberg connection that many here have discussed. It seems a little farfetched to me but I'm old and don't see those things. His comments about Judah seen spot on. Personally I wouldn't want to see him back. Can't see him going to another team, especially a contender with a strong coach. I think Judah would see a lot of bench time if he plays there like has at SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom