Louisville Game - Greenberg Spitting Truth | Syracusefan.com

Louisville Game - Greenberg Spitting Truth

Nicknack

All Conference
I'm a little late responding to this game. I was out of town and had to watch it recorded. For those who didn't watch the game, Greenberg was absolutely spitting truth. I haven't heard a commentator more spot on and connected with our team (and issues) in a very long time. Greenberg isn't my favorite, but he was on it. I captured some of those moments with my phone on video, but can't get them to upload. Therefore, sorry I don't have the video to show, but here are a few highlights that stood out to me...

Mintz
Greenberg talked about how Judah seems to have his mind made up before he even drives the ball into the paint, which leads to bad shots and solo ball.

Later in the game, while Mintz is at the free throw line, he asks a question like "if Mintz misses the free throw, is he going to sprint back on defense or is he going to take himself out of the play and defense by going for a low percentage steal?" Guess which one Judah did? Answer: he went for a steal, and was completely out of the play allowing Louisville a 5 on 4 drive to the basket.

Greenberg talked about Judah's steals stat. He just reminded the audience that just because you have a lot of steals, doesn't mean you're good on defense. He explained that what that could mean is that a player gambles a lot for steals, gets some, but also gives up a lot of easy baskets too because they take themselves out of the play. As we all know, that's what Judah does a lot.

The play, which caused any orange fan to melt down, was Mintz getting the ball with 28 seconds after Louisville cut our lead to two points. After Mintz stupidly drove out of control and turned the ball over, Greenberg said "Where are you going, son? You just can't make that play". If you missed it, you should see the video of Red walking down and looking directly at GMac. He was absolutely flabbergasted by what he just saw. Then GMac threw up his hands which looked something like "what the @#$@ is he doing". Fortunately for us, Bell saved us from disaster.

Mintz/Copeland
At about 13:47 left to play, Copland has the ball. He initiates the play by dribbling into the defense a bit to pull up a defender who sags off Brown. Copeland then executes a beautiful bounce pass to Maliq leading to an easy dunk. Greenberg talked about how Copeland does a better job than Mintz at seeing plays earlier and how Judah should be off the ball.

The Bench
There was a moment in the second half with only about 10 1/2 minutes to go where they showed our bench. Greenberg pointed out how our bench looked disengaged. Again, this was at a point where it was a 3pt game with 10 1/2 minutes to go! You could see both Bell and Judah sitting there with 0 energy. He talked about the importance of everyone being full engaged on the bench and being into the game. Then later, there was video showing Red going over and talking specifically with Bell. I'm not sure what Red said, but he was making a strong point to Bell in an animated way. Seconds later they showed Bell again and his facial expression was more positive and was clapping for the guys on the court (instead of sitting there disengaged). Greenberg was spot on and Red did a great job regaining Bell's focus.

There were many other observations that Seth made, but those are what I remember. Like Greenberg or not, he was on it during this game. My wife came in at one point and asked me who was commentating because she said he was being so critical. She was right, it was critical. However, it was also spot on.

I'm a little late responding to this game. I was out of town and had to watch it recorded. For those who didn't watch the game, Greenberg was absolutely spitting truth. I haven't heard a commentator more spot on and connected with our team (and issues) in a very long time. Greenberg isn't my favorite, but he was on it. I captured some of those moments with my phone on video, but can't get them to upload. Therefore, sorry I don't have the video to show, but here are a few highlights that stood out to me...

Mintz
Greenberg talked about how Judah seems to have his mind made up before he even drives the ball into the paint, which leads to bad shots and solo ball.

Later in the game, while Mintz is at the free throw line, he asks a question like "if Mintz misses the free throw, is he going to sprint back on defense or is he going to take himself out of the play and defense by going for a low percentage steal?" Guess which one Judah did? Answer: he went for a steal, and was completely out of the play allowing Louisville a 5 on 4 drive to the basket.

Greenberg talked about Judah's steals stat. He just reminded the audience that just because you have a lot of steals, doesn't mean you're good on defense. He explained that what that could mean is that a player gambles a lot for steals, gets some, but also gives up a lot of easy baskets too because they take themselves out of the play. As we all know, that's what Judah does a lot.

The play, which caused any orange fan to melt down, was Mintz getting the ball with 28 seconds after Louisville cut our lead to two points. After Mintz stupidly drove out of control and turned the ball over, Greenberg said "Where are you going, son? You just can't make that play". If you missed it, you should see the video of Red walking down and looking directly at GMac. He was absolutely flabbergasted by what he just saw. Then GMac threw up his hands which looked something like "what the @#$@ is he doing". Fortunately for us, Bell saved us from disaster.

Mintz/Copeland
At about 13:47 left to play, Copland has the ball. He initiates the play by dribbling into the defense a bit to pull up a defender who sags off Brown. Copeland then executes a beautiful bounce pass to Maliq leading to an easy dunk. Greenberg talked about how Copeland does a better job than Mintz at seeing plays earlier and how Judah should be off the ball.

The Bench
There was a moment in the second half with only about 10 1/2 minutes to go where they showed our bench. Greenberg pointed out how our bench looked disengaged. Again, this was at a point where it was a 3pt game with 10 1/2 minutes to go! You could see both Bell and Judah sitting there with 0 energy. He talked about the importance of everyone being full engaged on the bench and being into the game. Then later, there was video showing Red going over and talking specifically with Bell. I'm not sure what Red said, but he was making a strong point to Bell in an animated way. Seconds later they showed Bell again and his facial expression was more positive and was clapping for the guys on the court (instead of sitting there disengaged). Greenberg was spot on and Red did a great job regaining Bell's focus.

There were many other observations that Seth made, but those are what I remember. Like Greenberg or not, he was on it during this game. My wife came in at one point and asked me who was commentating because she said he was being so critical. She was right, it was critical. However, it was also spot on.

Seth was on the ball.. Red clearly sees it too. He doesn’t look like a coach who is going to rest on his laurels. Also pretty clear the staff is frustrated with Judah and his unwillingness to break bad habits.

Mintz

Mintz/Copeland

The Bench

Great recap, thanks.

He was clearly doing Red's bidding with some of the comments. That said it was an enjoyable listen until he got totally lost on the goaltend situation.
It could be that he's been watching and rooting hard for red to succeed and getting upset. It was a little emotional for a color guy. I didn't really care and I agree with everything he said and I thought it was funny but it was definitely unusual

He was spot on about Judah. He takes himself out of defensive position 5-6 times a game by going for stupid steals. He has no discipline playing defense and when he gets beat he just looks around like it‘s someone else‘s fault. It has to drive the coaches nuts. He is extremely hard to coach and play with. Good for Greenberg for calling it the way it is. I doubt it was by coincidence. He had “the talk.”

Mintz

Mintz/Copeland

The Bench

A lot of times steal stats are the same as the CB in football who has a number of INTs vs the CB who has a few, but takes away half the field.

You want the latter.

It could be that he's been watching and rooting hard for red to succeed and getting upset. It was a little emotional for a color guy. I didn't really care and I agree with everything he said and I thought it was funny but it was definitely unusual
Yeah, you could definitely be right on that. I didn't realize it at the time but Red did serve as an assistant coach to Greenberg years ago. Therefore, Seth obviously knows him pretty well and also knows him as a player. Greenberg also made some comments which made it clear that he has a lot of respect for Red.

Mintz

Mintz/Copeland

The Bench

Great summary and way to capture the key points including the bench comments. Seth was totally on point during the game and after. He recognized what was happening, called out areas of concern and obviously had Autry's blessing to do so.

Mintz

Mintz/Copeland

The Bench

Red was an assistant for greenberg and the relationship is obviously still very strong...have to wonder how much they have talked behind the scenes this season...I'm betting at least some if not a lot.

I take the comments as the things Red would love to say publically but cannot because of potentially damaging relationships. Seth obviousy has a very close pulse on this team, much moreso than a regular announcer. and he hit the nail on the head plenty.

all the players are so empowered now that it makes the job of coaching more similar to herding cats than ever...its a fine line...and a reason a lot of the old school coaches have retired, imo

if a coach tries to put his foot down, that player will then have one foot out the door

much less need to be a good teammate now with NIL...and the portal...if you dont like things with your current coach/team...just play for your own stats and look elsewhere next year.

Seth was on the ball.. Red clearly sees it too. He doesn’t look like a coach who is going to rest on his laurels. Also pretty clear the staff is frustrated with Judah and his unwillingness to break bad habits.
It was actually one of Seth's better games. And then he was confused at the end when he questioned why Qadir drove in for a layup when he should have dribbled to the corner to run out the clock. He thought we were up 1.

Red definitely had a conversation with Seth and gave him permission to use it. Red wants the fans to know he sees the same things we do and has tried to change them but some players can't/won't change.

Occasionally when a Syracuse alum was one of the announcers on a Syracuse game you could tell when JB had talked with them before the game too.

Assuming there were messages delivered by proxy, I am curious to see if they were received and also whether or not they influence behavior.

Red definitely had a conversation with Seth and gave him permission to use it. Red wants the fans to know he sees the same things we do and has tried to change them but some players can't/won't change.

Occasionally when a Syracuse alum was one of the announcers on a Syracuse game you could tell when JB had talked with them before the game too.
Seth made it a little too obvious. Might be hard to recruit if you get a reputation for ripping players through a friendly announcer

Mintz

Mintz/Copeland

The Bench

This is great. Thanks for putting it together!

Seth made it a little too obvious. Might be hard to recruit if you get a reputation for ripping players through a friendly announcer
Yeah I know it's what everyone wanted to hear. But the Announcer doing Coach PR shtick usually pisses me off if we're being honest and it's not about us. Vitale was the worst at it. It was NEVER K's fault, ever.

Mintz

Mintz/Copeland

The Bench

Some posters on here like to dismiss Copeland’s potential as the starting PG next season. I think Greenberg’s comments show that Q’s upside is big. He’s a highlight reel waiting to happen and sees the court so well, but he too still has a lot to learn. I hope between him and Chance, who’s a very good passer and distributor, we should be fine at PG next season.

As another poster said on here when they talked to JB, and JB did some truth telling: Judah is a good player but he’s a very challenging kid to coach. Next season, if he comes back and listens, learns and implements what the coaches are telling him, he could be a very good player as a junior.

Last edited:
Great summary and way to capture the key points including the bench comments. Seth was totally on point during the game and after. He recognized what was happening, called out areas of concern and obviously had Autry's blessing to do so.
I don’t think Greenberg got Autry’s “blessing” to say what he said. He was just being honest. That’s his job. Maybe he has some inside insight from talking with Red but that would be it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom