Louisville / Kansas / LSU / Arizona / Auburn / NC State / Memphis / Other NCAA Violations | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville / Kansas / LSU / Arizona / Auburn / NC State / Memphis / Other NCAA Violations

Dear NCAA:. If you punish us, the SEC, and others, will leave the NCAA and take FB with us.
Now, make my day.
The NCAA doesn't care one iota about D-1A football. Their annual take from it is $0.00 and a ton of headaches. The P5 basically is already basically gone from the NCAA for football. They do care about D-1 basketball because of the tournament contract with CBS. That would be their only concern if the P5 decided to leave because more people would watch a P5-run b-ball tournament than would watch one made up of what's left of the NCAA.
And don't count on the SEC's deciding to leave in a snit over Wade's being caught cheating. It put the rest of them at a disadvantage and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if one of the other SEC schools got the investigation ball rolling with the NCAA by turning him in.

Sources leaked that LSU will also suspend Wade (with pay) until November 15. He will be allowed to continue to recruit during his suspension.
That's not even a slap on the wrist.
That's more like an air-slap.

Dude, go Netflix and chill for a bit - with full pay.
You bad, very bad, very bad man!
That's about all they can do at this stage without violating the terms of his contract and exposing themselves to a very expen$ive law$uit that they'd probably lo$e. The way these documents come across, they probably can fire him for cause (and, therefore, at no cost) later.
This is also the answer to the semi-rhetorical question of "Why is {fill in name of accused coach here} still allowed to coach?"

The NCAA doesn't care one iota about D-1A football. Their annual take from it is $0.00 and a ton of headaches. The P5 basically is already basically gone from the NCAA for football. They do care about D-1 basketball because of the tournament contract with CBS. That would be their only concern if the P5 decided to leave because more people would watch a P5-run b-ball tournament than would watch one made up of what's left of the NCAA.
And don't count on the SEC's deciding to leave in a snit over Wade's being caught cheating. It put the rest of them at a disadvantage and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if one of the other SEC schools got the investigation ball rolling with the NCAA by turning him in.
P5 FB is NCAA BB tournament. People love the little guy in the 1st 2 rounds, after that they tune in for the big names.

P5 FB is NCAA BB tournament. People love the little guy in the 1st 2 rounds, after that they tune in for the big names.
I don't think the P5 would leave over this scandal and the FBI wiretap scandal. They might leave over something else, but not this. I think you even overestimate the "outrage" within the SEC. Like I said in my other post, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if another SEC team turned Wade in. Why would Auburn or South Carolina want to leave the NCAA because Wade got caught cheating? Why would Oregon or Washington want to leave because Miller got caught? Why would SU or UVa want to leave because Petino got caught again? I think the other P5 schools would really show outrage if the NCAA doesn't come down hard on the schools caught up in this.

I don't think the P5 would leave over this scandal and the FBI wiretap scandal. They might leave over something else, but not this. I think you even overestimate the "outrage" within the SEC. Like I said in my other post, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if another SEC team turned Wade in. Why would Auburn or South Carolina want to leave the NCAA because Wade got caught cheating? Why would Oregon or Washington want to leave because Miller got caught? Why would SU or UVa want to leave because Petino got caught again? I think the other P5 schools would really show outrage if the NCAA doesn't come down hard on the schools caught up in this.
If, more likely when, the P5 breaks from the NCAA I think it will have more to do with the arbitrary, inconsistent and capricious way it administers its bylaws, the lack of transparency, and unwillingness to fully compensate players.

I'm sure Bruce Pearl turned him in.

If, more likely when, the P5 breaks from the NCAA I think it will have more to do with the arbitrary, inconsistent and capricious way it administers its bylaws, the lack of transparency, and unwillingness to fully compensate players.
IDK about the last one because of the lopsidedness of the payments that schools could afford, but as to the other two, most certainly to be contributing factors.

IDK about the last one because of the lopsidedness of the payments that schools could afford, but as to the other two, most certainly to be contributing factors.
I'm out over my skis on this and can't speak intelligently on the topic. I was thinking more from the NACAA wanting to preserve amateurism and not wanting to pay the players directly (rather than the schools paying a stipend).

"Can you say 'LOIC', boys and girls? I knew you could."

I can say it, but I don’t know what it means.

(Which makes me better than the POTUS, who can’t say things, and also doesn’t know their meanings. :p )

(Which makes me better than the POTUS, who can’t say things, and also doesn’t know their meanings. :p )
lack of institutional control

LOIC - Lack of Institutional Control, the ultimate sin a school can commit in the eyes of the NCAA. What the article says is basically a guilty plea to LOIC by UofL.

"Can you say 'LOIC', boys and girls? I knew you could."

Interesting take they are attempting to spin -- wonder if it will be effective.

Probably, since the NCAA F's everything up. This should be a slam dunk "prosecution" given that Louisville has been caught red-handed, but the NCAA is so wildly inconsistent, I have zero doubt that they'll somehow allow those scumbags to wriggle off the hook.

And unfortunately, the trend appears to be the more egregious the violations, the less likely it is the school gets the hammer dropped. Conversely, the NCAA gets really tough when doling out penalties over minor infractions.

Interesting take they are attempting to spin -- wonder if it will be effective.

Probably, since the NCAA F's everything up. This should be a slam dunk "prosecution" given that Louisville has been caught red-handed, but the NCAA is so wildly inconsistent, I have zero doubt that they'll somehow allow those scumbags to wriggle off the hook.

And unfortunately, the trend appears to be the more egregious the violations, the less likely it is the school gets the hammer dropped. Conversely, the NCAA gets really tough when doling out penalties over minor infractions.
I don't know if it will happen, but the Adidas schools need to be out of the tournament for 2 years and lose 3 scholarships for 3, at a minimum. The NCAA gets the same amount of money from CBS regardless of who is in or out of the tournament, so that really shouldn't be a consideration. To beg another question, why would the P5 schools who aren't involved in this want to leave the NCAA because the hammer was dropped on Louisville, NC State, Arizona, or Kansas?

Worth the read

I for one am shocked, SHOCKED I tell ya', that this is where we are w/ this.
I said it once- I'll say it again: "We should have played FAb. We should NOT have cooperated or self-reported. That was a big mistake".
Does anyone doubt that the program would be in a better position today, if we'd told the NCAA to Go cFk Themselves?

Last edited:
Worth the read

This quote from Frank Martin is telling:

“I know what’s going on,” said South Carolina coach Frank Martin. “I know who’s doing what. If I was a prosecutor, I’d go after people. But I’m not. I’m a coach. So I stay away from certain situations when I know what’s going on. I’m not going to recruit against them."

I'm guessing our staff has stopped recruiting against some peers, as not all the bad apples are in the SEC.

This quote from Frank Martin is telling:

“I know what’s going on,” said South Carolina coach Frank Martin. “I know who’s doing what. If I was a prosecutor, I’d go after people. But I’m not. I’m a coach. So I stay away from certain situations when I know what’s going on. I’m not going to recruit against them."

I'm guessing our staff has stopped recruiting against some peers, as not all the bad apples are in the SEC.
good quote but wasn't South Carolina one of the schools mentioned in the article. Said it at the time and stand by it - no big name will see their career impacted by this. Nobody cares because everyone knows it is happening all over.

good quote but wasn't South Carolina one of the schools mentioned in the article. Said it at the time and stand by it - no big name will see their career impacted by this. Nobody cares because everyone knows it is happening all over.
South Carolina was implicated, but the infractions occurred under the previous coach, not Martin.

South Carolina was implicated, but the infractions occurred under the previous coach, not Martin.
Frank Martin is a good guy and has a rep for doing things the right way. Why do you think SC's recruiting isn't like Will Wade's at LSU? Even though Martin has years more experience in college basketball. It's not hard to figure out that guys like Wade are steering money to these kids.

Frank Martin is a good guy and has a rep for doing things the right way. Why do you think SC's recruiting isn't like Will Wade's at LSU? Even though Martin has years more experience in college basketball. It's not hard to figure out that guys like Wade are steering money to these kids.
Anyone with a half a brain can figure it out. Too bad nobody in the NCAA has a half a brain.

Worth the read

Know this: America’s most notorious recruiting league is rife with rumor and accusation once again—and none of it involves Kentucky’s John Calipari, the man with vacated Final Fours at both Massachusetts and Memphis.

That’s how you know the conference has some depth to it. Or is sinking to new depths.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom