Louisville | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Louisville

Good hire. Won’t turn them into old Louisville but should stop the bleeding and get them out of the basement of the league and holding the conference further down.
It seems that the bottom of the ACC might have hit rock and is going to trend up. All within a year or so Louisville, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, and BC got new coaches. Georgia Tech, Notre Dame and BC all have good young players, and Louisville is well equipped it just needs a coach. Florida state started to win games last year too. Hopefully they all do ok in the portal, and the NET situation will improve if there's no bottom feeders.

It seems that the bottom of the ACC might have hit rock and is going to trend up. All within a year or so Louisville, Georgia Tech, Notre Dame, and BC got new coaches. Georgia Tech, Notre Dame and BC all have good young players, and Louisville is well equipped it just needs a coach. Florida state started to win games last year too. Hopefully they all do ok in the portal, and the NET situation will improve if there's no bottom feeders.

GT tends to do this it seems as does BC and then still ends up at the bottom but agree on ND and FSU. At least at the bottom BC and GT stay closer to .500 overall.

Would Syracuse struggle to find a coach like this if we went outside the family next time?

I wouldn't think so but I thought Louisville is a pretty good job too.

They still got some stink on them from the scandal... They need someone to get them even-keeled for a few years before they become a highly desirable job for tier 1 HC contenders IMO.

I think louisville is a cautionary tale.
The only cautionary tale I see is that Kenny Payne was a terrible hire. Louisville has the resources to compete in the top 4-5 of the conference (same with Syracuse). They’ve had decades of success. Scott Drew turned them down but he just didn’t want to leave his cushy situation at Baylor. He’s been there forever and built the program. Dusty May probably liked Michigan a little more since he played in the Big 10. Also a little less pressure there since football is the big dog.

Good hire. Won’t turn them into old Louisville but should stop the bleeding and get them out of the basement of the league and holding the conference further down.
Agree. Doubt he gets them to national championship level, but I think they will be good again.

I wonder if Louisville was really interested but backed away from Pitino's son Richard because of the past issues when his dad Rick was HC.

I'm sure there were some boosters that wanted Richard due to nostalgia.

I wonder if Louisville was really interested but backed away from Pitino's son Richard because of the past issues when his dad Rick was HC.

I'm sure there were some boosters that wanted Richard due to nostalgia.
No, it was the other way around. Pitino Jr backed out.

Didn’t see these posted, sorry if they were.

Really interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Really interesting article, thanks for sharing.
From just a part of the article, I can’t help wonder how Nolan Smith, the former Dukie‘s actions behind Payne’s back, will hurt his coaching career. I can’t imagine another head coach having full trust in him in the future. Should be interesting to watch. He also was criticized for refusing to shake hands after Louisville’s loss to Kentucky.

I agree the article is pretty detailed and interesting yet fair minded, regarding the many factors in Payne’s failure at Louisville.

Didn’t see these posted, sorry if they were.

Interesting read and cautionary tale to be sure...

This stood out to me when thinking about our team, as it definitely seemed Red had a similar issue with certain players this year:

But the reality was that he built an inexperienced team, then had trouble getting them to accept his instruction.

That’s the heart of coaching. And by the end of his second season at Louisville, his team barely displayed a heartbeat, despite having comparable talent to the programs they faced.

First year and a big chunk of the team was inherited by Red. He deserves his chance to get "his guys", of course... So apples and oranges, but still interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom