Luke Arciniega | Syracusefan.com

Luke Arciniega

I think that the term 'had his bell rung' should be stricken from the sportswriters', coaches', and players', lexicon. It means that the player has suffered some sort of head trauma and, as we find out more and more about brain injuries and concussions, the phrase does not do justice to what has potentially happened to the player.

Wow, Michael Cohen, really?

"You’re coming in, you fill a whole against a fullback or you take on an offensive lineman or you just take a running back coming straight down hill," Arciniega said.

A whole??? I hope it was autocorrect that did that... Oh Lord

Have you played football? What should they call it? Every hard hit is not a concussion but they can certainly affect your balance, breathing, eyesight, even hearing, a whole slew of things.

I think that the term 'had his bell rung' should be stricken from the sportswriters', coaches', and players', lexicon. It means that the player has suffered some sort of head trauma and, as we find out more and more about brain injuries and concussions, the phrase does not do justice to what has potentially happened to the player.

If a hit affects "your balance, breathing, eyesight, even hearing, a whole slew of things", then it's a form of head trauma.

And the response from the player and coaches should not be, "Just shake it off and get back in there."

I know what you are saying and I understand how serious head trauma is. I'm not suggesting kids who show the effects of a concussion should be out back into a game or practice.

The symptoms I described could last literally seconds, some if which you would experience if I slapped you hard across the face. It's what the term "bell rung" was coined to describe. The diagnosis of a concussion is more complex than you're making out to be, or else I had about 100 concussions in my career (pop Warner - high school).

If a hit affects "your balance, breathing, eyesight, even hearing, a whole slew of things", then it's a form of head trauma.

And the response from the player and coaches should not be, "Just shake it off and get back in there."

The term 'had his bell rung' has been used by more announcers than I can count. Usually accompanied by a chuckle. As in " looks like ol' Junior got his bell rung mighty good".

Too many 'bells rung', and Junior's gone for good.

I understand that it was coined without malice, but we know a lot more about head trauma than we did then, or than we did even two years ago. It's not a medical diagnosis. And it's not a bell, it's a head and the brain inside it.

That's all I'm saying.

Popped and dropped.

This thread perfectly illustrates what happened to the kid. He said one thing, concerned coaches thought another thing - leading to a huge misunderstanding.

There is no way that Syracuse would offer this kid a ship without having confirmation that he is good to go.

The term 'had his bell rung' has been used by more announcers than I can count. Usually accompanied by a chuckle. As in " looks like ol' Junior got his bell rung mighty good".

Too many 'bells rung', and Junior's gone for good.

I understand that it was coined without malice, but we know a lot more about head trauma than we did then, or than we did even two years ago. It's not a medical diagnosis. And it's not a bell, it's a head and the brain inside it.

That's all I'm saying.
theres no easy way to say this, so im just going to say it......

leave the gay-liberal PC bullshlit for the ot board.

this is a football site.

he got his bell rung.

as you were.

thank you.

Oh Lord

theres no easy way to say this, so im just going to say it......

leave the gay-liberal PC bullshlit for the ot board.

this is a football site.

he got his bell rung.

as you were.

thank you.

Oh Lord
Typical conservative ignorance with a dash of homophobia thrown in to boot.

Whatever you call it I have to agree some sort of trauma occurred. Things have changed so much in this area in just the past couple years with treatment and equipment. Our high school does baseline testing of all athletes in any sport where there is potential for physical contact (yes even soccer). Whenever a player shows signs that they "got their bell rung" or any similar symptom the trainers have tests that they give them on the sideline and can compare those results to the preseason baseline results to determine if there is reason for concern. I've seen this happen frequently with neck and head injuries (I work the chains so I get a pretty good view). Sometimes the kid is cleared and goes back in, sometimes they hold them out for further testing after the game. Varsity games actually have a Dr on the sidelines. While still not perfect, the treatment of head injuries and all injuries is dramatically better than when I played 30 years ago. (jeez that sounds like a long time ago!) Equipement has also improved with special "concussion helmets and mouthguards that provide additional protection. "Bottom line, I seriously doubt you'd ever see coaches or trainers walking around with smelling salts in their pockets anymore. Kind of hard to believe how accepted that was back in the day especially on the high school level.