Luke Winn & Pat Forde comin strong... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Luke Winn & Pat Forde comin strong...

BTW what transfers other than Rak Christmas would we have had? He was the only Senior other than the walkon kid who got a nice ovation on Senior Day.
We as Syracuse fans acknowledge Rak did get a little screwed but who is to stay he would have transferred?

I'm not sure about the transfer thing, but if a school we didn't like took a post season ban in-season in a year where we weren't a tourny team this board would crucify them for it.

Edit: and also for "forcing" the transfers

What the f does this mean?

One, did JB and JB only decide that taking a tourney ban immediately was the best course of action?

Two, they weren't going to the tourney last year, and everyone knew that. I'm not sure how not having that known ahead of the season does anything to change Patterson/BJ from transferring.

Again, what? I usually like Winn, but he seems bitter and hypocritical in his bashing of SU.

The only player who could have transferred last year and played immediately was Rak.

And Rak never considered transferring, even though he missed his last opportunity for tournament play.

I'm not sure about the transfer thing, but if a school we didn't like took a post season ban in-season in a year where we weren't a tourny team this board would crucify them for it.

We were a bubble team that if we didn't announce the imposed penalties I think would have played differently at the end. The Notre Dame, Louisville and Iowa wins were huge. I think we quit against NC State. If we were playing for our NCAA lives I would loved that UVA game. The Dome gave Rak a huge ovation but was flat after that.

The chokejob at Nova would have been bad but the committee would have seen an NCAA team on the road against an eventual #1 seed.

Also we would have Clemson in the ACC tourney and then another shot against UVA potentially.

While I agree the ban in-season was a little weak sauce atleast it did penalize us a little. We are closer to the bubble than you think.

We were a bubble team that if we didn't announce the imposed penalties I think would have played differently at the end. The Notre Dame, Louisville and Iowa wins were huge. I think we quit against NC State. If we were playing for our NCAA lives I would loved that UVA game. The Dome gave Rak a huge ovation but was flat after that.

The chokejob at Nova would have been bad but the committee would have seen an NCAA team on the road against an eventual #1 seed.

Also we would have Clemson in the ACC tourney and then another shot against UVA potentially.

While I agree the ban in-season was a little weak sauce atleast it did penalize us a little. We are closer to the bubble than you think.

It's easy to make all these arguments after the fact, and I'm not making a value judgement if it was right or wrong, (or even saying that your argument above is incorrect) but if UConn was in the exact same situation and did the exact same thing, they'd be getting killed on this board.

What the f does this mean?

One, did JB and JB only decide that taking a tourney ban immediately was the best course of action?

Two, they weren't going to the tourney last year, and everyone knew that. I'm not sure how not having that known ahead of the season does anything to change Patterson/BJ from transferring.

Again, what? I usually like Winn, but he seems bitter and hypocritical in his bashing of SU.
Wow. How uninformed can a journalist alledgedly covering college basketball be?

I don't know what is worse, this senseless claim or his cowardly accusation JB committed academic fraud (which even the NCAA has never made)?

Don't want to revisit all the March arguments (by the way, where's moqui been hiding?), but it's hard to disagree with this take.
Hard to disagree with the statement "schemed to prevent transfers"?

I don't know what is worse, this senseless claim or his cowardly accusation JB committed academic fraud (which even the NCAA has never made)?

Not quite, Tom - he said the program committed academic fraud.

I think they were trying to avoid a ban at all costs, it just didn't work out that way IMO.
Yeah, no doubt. And is that "scheming to prevent transfers?"
I'd love for OttoMets to explain the scheming.

It's easy to make all these arguments after the fact, and I'm not making a value judgement if it was right or wrong, (or even saying that your argument above is incorrect) but if UConn was in the exact same situation and did the exact same thing, they'd be getting killed on this board.
I would call it being pragmatic. Some of our fanbase mocking UConn doesn't mean a majority would.

All fanbases mock rivals. We were a bubble team if we didn't self impose. We did rob ourselves of a postseason.

This is why I hate these hack reporters like Winn and Forde and social media. It's perfect for them since they have no thoughts that can't be summed up in one sentence. The basketball program didn't commit academic fraud by the way. That is not possible since the coaches are not allowed to interact with people on the academic side. They made this very clear. So to imply that Boeheim or any other coach is talking to academic people is stupid. You can't have your cake and eat it too. You can't say they can't talk to them because they will influence them to give the kids benefits and then punish them when you said they couldn't be involved.

Also I'm not sure about this but didn't Rak graduate in 3 years and start his masters. So since he graduated and had eligibility left couldn't he transfer without sitting out anyway.

I suspect the point is that there was no reason for him to consider transferring until we fell on our sword.

That said, does anyone really think it was JB's decision when and where to self impose? I mean I am sure he was consulted but that seems like it would be a higher level strategic decision in the University's and Athletic Department's dance with the NCAA, not a "basketball program" decision.

Last point, while I feel bad for Rak that he had the opportunity to play in the tournament forfeited. I feel like the University and Athletic Department, Coach etc, etc. owed a much higher obligation to the larger community (school, athletic department, fanbase etc.) in making a decision on self imposing than it owed to Rak alone. The idea that they schemed to prevent transfers is flippin ridiculous. If you said they schemed to minimize the impact of the coming sanctions...well that I can't argue with.

Last edited:
Knicks411 said:

There was no way for SU to win. If we were 25-0 like we were in 2014 we would have gotten crucified for saying that we would impose a ban for 2015.

We were a bubble team with wins over Louisville and Notre Dame at ND. Who knows what could have happened in the ACC Tournament.

And hopefully we've learned through this process to actually support the schools that are fighting the NCAA.

There was no way for SU to win. If we were 25-0 like we were in 2014 we would have gotten crucified for saying that we would impose a ban for 2015.

We were a bubble team with wins over Louisville and Notre Dame at ND. Who knows what could have happened in the ACC Tournament.

And hopefully we've learned through this process to actually support the schools that are fighting the NCAA.
This guy says, "word".
image.jpg

Perhaps Winn is suggesting that if we had not self-imposed, we would now be ineligible for the 2016 Tourney. As such, players with 1 year of eligibility would be free to transfer and play immediately, namely Coleman, Cooney, and Gbinije.

I believe players with more than than 1 years remaining would still lose a year of eligibility. What I'm not sure of, though, is if they are immediately eligible. So, could players like Roberson, Patterson, and Johnson, who had 3 years remaining to play 2 years, just transfer and have 2 years to play 2. That seems doubtful.

Last edited:

Great post, Tom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom