Luke Winn's(SI) Top 16 Backcourts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Luke Winn's(SI) Top 16 Backcourts

Do we have anyone who's a dead on count it 3 point shooter? I don't think we do, and that concerns me. When we won the championship we had Gerry, Melo, and Kueth. Oh, and Billy!

None of those guys was a dead-on count it three-point shooter. And Billy couldn't shoot at all.

I like that people get worked up over these things. I don't know Luke Wynn but I sincerely doubt he has some sort of grudge against the cuse. We've had people -- cuse fans on this board -- saying Jardine is a well below-average PG, Triche is not exactly a darling on this board and we're all aware of the off-court and (sometimes) on-court antics of Waiters. I like all three, I know the frosh are highly rated and I think you could make a case for it being a top 10 backcourt. BUT there are some issues and red flags here as well. I don't think it's insane to put them at 15.

Even though he didn't play as well as we hoped last year, he led the conference in assists. He got invited to camps these past 2 summers for a reason - not just because JB is his coach (although that certainly helped...). This backcourt won 27 games last year, and were largely considered underachievers. This year, we could win 30 games again.

Doesn't really matter, but when was the last time that both the front court and the back court were rated top 15's in the country. Seems like it is either one or the other.
If BBall success were merely the sum of front court and back court ratings, 23 of the top 25 would be:
29 - UK
28 - UNC
27 - Ohio St
26 - Duke

23 - UCONN

15 - Vandy and Florida

12 - Baylor
11 - UCLA and Wisc

9 - Bama, Pitt and Xavier
8 - Syracuse and FSU

6 - Kansas and Louisville
5 - Minnesota and Temple
4 - A&M and Mizzou

1 - Memphis and Gonzaga

As you say, Cuse has top 15 in both whereas some pretty good teams, including 3 from BE have no one in either top 16 front court or top 16 back court

16 BE 32Villanova -9
18 P10 17Arizona -1

22 BE 18Marquette -9
24 BE 20Cincy -6
25 B10 24Michigan St -4

26 B12 25Texas -2
27 B10 28Illinois -5
28 P10 Washington -3
29 B10 21Michigan-5
30 ACC 40Miami-Fl -8
31 B10 37Purdue -2

Even though he didn't play as well as we hoped last year, he led the conference in assists. He got invited to camps these past 2 summers for a reason - not just because JB is his coach (although that certainly helped...). This backcourt won 27 games last year, and were largely considered underachievers. This year, we could win 30 games again.
Definitely for all the detractors, Scoop and BT have both helped the team win a lot of games the last two years. Granted, it is easy to say that the post season has ended prematurely the last two seasons, but the regular seasons have been very good.

Definitely for all the detractors, Scoop and BT have both helped the team win a lot of games the last two years. Granted, it is easy to say that the post season has ended prematurely the last two seasons, but the regular seasons have been very good.

It's true; probably 99% of the people on this board have negative things to say about one of the two (I'm included in that), but not too many Syracuse players have ever won 57 games in two years. In 15 years, we'll all be raving about what great winners they were.

It's true; probably 99% of the people on this board have negative things to say about one of the two (I'm included in that), but not too many Syracuse players have ever won 57 games in two years. In 15 years, we'll all be raving about what great winners they were.
I'm not sure how long you have been around, but players with a lot more talent than Scoop and BT (and not a knock on them) have been taken to the woodshed and back based on their faults. Not to mention all of the criticism that has been leveled on our Hall of Fame coach as well.

Long enough to have heard most of that.

And these two guys are in the 99th percentile as far as two-year winning percentage goes.

Yeah, we play more games in this era, but Triche and Scoop are very good ballplayers. Future generations will regard them way more highly than many here have.

Triche was a 2nd year sophmore last year Scoop was a 4th year player. They should not be compared in that reguard.
J
immy held back the reigns on Scoop and gave them to Rick last year. Triche wasn't expected to be a 40 percent shooter from three half way through his sophmore year.

Remembered yes they will be.
BUT with KJo not as a leader type until this year begins ;).