Lunardi's Latest | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Lunardi's Latest

I was responding to the notion of SU playing KSt in the 4/5 game in KC. But I don't understand why anybody needs a home court advantage.

Maybe the BCS should do the same thing and have a floating site for the NC game based on seeding. If Alabama is #1 then they could play the game in Mobile and if ND is #1 they play the game at Soldier Field. Reward those teams for being #1. Sounds fair, right?
Dude in 2005 we won the Big East tournament and were given the 4 seed in Worcester which is 4 hours from Syracuse and Michigan State was given the 5 seed. Was it fair to Michigan State? Of course it was, the 4 seed should be given preference when possible. If we have to play Okie State or Kansas State in KC oh well tough luck. However, I believe its 50/50 at best we don't get sent to San Jose.

No one said anybody needed it. It's a reward for having a good season.

Obviously would be a lot more difficult to pull off in college football. I don't see how it's so controversial though. In pro sports the teams with the better record gets home court advantage. In a lot of the smaller conference tournaments the top seeds get to play the on their home court.

Why even seed the teams? Why should the #1 seed get to play the worst team i the field? Why not randomly pick the draw?

AS TJ says on NFL Countdown- C'MON MAN!!!

In pro sports the teams at least play in the same conference with many of the same opponents. And they use the best records, they play the same amount of games, the seeds aren't determined by voters or computers or selection committees.

And where do you draw the line? It's ok for a 1 seed but not a 4?

Dude in 2005 we won the Big East tournament and were given the 4 seed in Worcester which is 4 hours from Syracuse and Michigan State was given the 5 seed. Was it fair to Michigan State? Of course it was, the 4 seed should be given preference when possible. If we have to play Okie State or Kansas State in KC oh well tough luck. However, I believe its 50/50 at best we don't get sent to San Jose.

Dude, SU playing in Worcester is not what I'd call a home court advantage. You can do better than that.

SU playing UMass in Worcester like they did in the 1990s is an example of a home court advantage for UMass. I am ok with staying in your region within reason. Playing somewhere that is less than 100 miles from your campus doesn't seem to me to be within reason.

4/5 is a gray area, since the teams are likely very close, but I don't have much of a problem with any of the protected seeds getting sites close to their campus

Dude, SU playing in Worcester is not what I'd call a home court advantage. You can do better than that.

SU playing UMass in Worcester like they did in the 1990s is an example of a home court advantage for UMass. I am ok with staying in your region within reason. Playing somewhere that is less than 100 miles from your campus doesn't seem to me to be within reason.
I was at the game, Syracuse had significant more fans than Michigan State or Old Dominion. Vermont probably had more than Michigan State or ODU. That crowd was 40%Syracuse 30%Vermont 10%Michigan State 5% Old Dominion 15% local fans. If Syracuse had won the first round game SU would have had a homecourt advantage against Michigan State.

I was at the game, Syracuse had significant more fans than Michigan State or Old Dominion. Vermont probably had more than Michigan State or ODU. That crowd was 40%Syracuse 30%Vermont 10%Michigan State 5% Old Dominion 15% local fans. If Syracuse had won the first round game SU would have had a homecourt advantage against Michigan State.

I think you can understand there is difference in degrees, right? It's one thing to have a solid majority. It's another thing to have 90% of the arena in your favor.

4/5 is a gray area, since the teams are likely very close, but I don't have much of a problem with any of the protected seeds getting sites close to their campus

Isn't the 4 seed considered a protected seed?

And btw was Oklahoma a protected seed when as a 1 they played 3 seeded SU in Albany? And was UConn a protected seed when as a 1 they played 11th seeded George Mason in DC? You can't even trust these effin clowns to implement their own policy.

I think you can understand there is difference in degrees, right? It's one thing to have a solid majority. It's another thing to have 90% of the arena in your favor.
Kansas State won't have 90% of the arena behind them, Kansas will be in KC and they despise Kansas State, they will make up more of the crowd than Kansas State or Oklahoma State will. I doubt Kansas fans like us, but they won't cheer for Kansas State and will probably like tweaking them.

Isn't the 4 seed considered a protected seed?

And btw was Oklahoma a protected seed when as a 1 they played 3 seeded SU in Albany? And was UConn a protected seed when as a 1 they played 11th seeded George Mason in DC? You can't even trust these effin clowns to implement their own policy.
Protected seeds are just for the first and second rounds they don't apply to the regionals. Texas was a 1 seed that year and got the South region and San Antonio, Kentucky was a higher 1 seed than OU and were sent to Minneapolis, Arizona got the West, Oklahoma had no choice, but be sent East. The committee could have put Pitt as the 2 seed in the East, but gave Wake Forest the ACC champ the East region and SU was able to be seeded in the East.

It's about money. Period. Conferences and the NCAA say otherwise but they're full bleep. How do you think K-State would feel about playing us in Buffalo next year? March madness is all about $$$... why do you think U Conn's woman team host the BE tournament every year? It is not because they're the best - it's because they draw the most. Do you think that it is fair for ND's program - ranked #2 - to have to play there this year.

Protected seeds are just for the first and second rounds they don't apply to the regionals. Texas was a 1 seed that year and got the South region and San Antonio, Kentucky was a higher 1 seed than OU and were sent to Minneapolis, Arizona got the West, Oklahoma had no choice, but be sent East. The committee could have put Pitt as the 2 seed in the East, but gave Wake Forest the ACC champ the East region and SU was able to be seeded in the East.

I went through this before. It's not about Texas or Oklahoma. The Committee knew when they put SU in Albany they were giving them a big advantage. Oklahoma got hosed. If it happened to us as the higher seed we'd be screaming bloody murder.

And btw that makes zero sense (not that I'd expect it to make sense) that you protect high seeds in the first two rounds but not later on.

It's about money. Period. Conferences and the NCAA say otherwise but they're full bleep. How do you think K-State would feel about playing us in Buffalo next year? March madness is all about $$$... why do you think U Conn's woman team host the BE tournament every year? It is not because they're the best - it's because they draw the most. Do you think that it is fair for ND's program - ranked #2 - to have to play there this year.

Not only does UConn's women host the BET but they usually host a couple of NCAA games as well. Nah but it's not about the money.

I went through this before. It's not about Texas or Oklahoma. The Committee knew when they put SU in Albany they were giving them a big advantage. Oklahoma got hosed. If it happened to us as the higher seed we'd be screaming bloody murder.

And btw that makes zero sense (not that I'd expect it to make sense) that you protect high seeds in the first two rounds but not later on.
3 seeds that year were Duke, Marquette, Syracuse, Xavier. Duke couldn't be in the East since Wake was the 2 seed in that region. Marquette got the closest regional to them Minneapolis. That left Xavier and Syracuse the committee could have put Xavier in the East bracket, but Syracuse was the Big East co-champ and probably was higher seeded. Its not like Syracuse was playing in the Dome. Oklahoma didn't get hosed, Syracuse was seeded in the East region and if Oklahoma was better than would have overcome the odds and won. In 2004 Pitt was a 3 seed in Milwaukee and beat 6 seeded Wisconsin in WI. Pitt didn't get hosed did they? They beat Wisconsin in their home state,

3 seeds that year were Duke, Marquette, Syracuse, Xavier. Duke couldn't be in the East since Wake was the 2 seed in that region. Marquette got the closest regional to them Minneapolis. That left Xavier and Syracuse the committee could have put Xavier in the East bracket, but Syracuse was the Big East co-champ and probably was higher seeded. Its not like Syracuse was playing in the Dome. Oklahoma didn't get hosed, Syracuse was seeded in the East region and if Oklahoma was better than would have overcome the odds and won. In 2004 Pitt was a 3 seed in Milwaukee and beat 6 seeded Wisconsin in WI. Pitt didn't get hosed did they? They beat Wisconsin in their home state,

Your logic confounds me. So they couldn't have put Xavier or Marquette in the East? It really doesn't matter who wins or loses these games. The idea should be (although you seem to want to twist yourself into a pretzel to rationalize otherwise) to create a somewhat level playing field and avoid clear cases of a home court advantage.

You and knicks can't seem to give me a reason for why a team should be favored with a home court advantage other than it's a reward for a good season.

We would have beaten Oklahoma in Norman that year.

Your logic confounds me. So they couldn't have put Xavier or Marquette in the East? It really doesn't matter who wins or loses these games. The idea should be (although you seem to want to twist yourself into a pretzel to rationalize otherwise) to create a somewhat level playing field and avoid clear cases of a home court advantage.

You and knicks can't seem to give me a reason for why a team should be favored with a home court advantage other than it's a reward for a good season.
Marquette was put in the region closest to them. Marquette is closer to Minneapolis than Albany. Xavier and Syracuse were the candidates for the East region, Syracuse was higher seeded than Xavier on the S-Curve thus they got sent to Albany. Last time I checked Syracuse is 2 hours from Albany the game wasn't on Syracuse's home court. If we played a team that actually cared about basketball the arena wouldn't have been 95% Orange it still would have had a clear Orange majority, but you fall to realize the committee takes care of the top 16 seeds for the 1st and 2nd rounds since 2003.
In 1987 Syracuse was the 2 seed and North Carolina was the 1 seed the Elite 8 game was played in the Meadowlands in New Jersey was SU given an unfair advantage? By your logic, Yes because the 2 seed was closer. In 2010 Duke had beat 3 seed Baylor in Houston. Did Duke complain? No, they beat Baylor in Texas and won the title. I don't hear you saying anything about that. Fact is this top 4 seeds get preference from the committee for location and there is nothing more to debate as it is a fact.

We would have beaten Oklahoma in Norman that year.
Oklahoma had no chance against our zone,the whole Big XII had a tough time with our zone. Hollis Price? I think his name was, got completely shut down. SU would have won that game anywhere.

Oklahoma had no chance against our zone,the whole Big XII had a tough time with our zone. Hollis Price? I think his name was, got completely shut down. SU would have won that game anywhere.

I was sitting in front of 3 Oklahoma fans at that game and at the first TV timeout I turned around and one of them said to me "congrats on your final four bid". I thought he was just messing around and called him out (busting his chops) and he told me that he already knew that they had no chance at winning that game 5 minutes in. Well he was right.

That's not the point.

Marquette was put in the region closest to them. Marquette is closer to Minneapolis than Albany. Xavier and Syracuse were the candidates for the East region, Syracuse was higher seeded than Xavier on the S-Curve thus they got sent to Albany. Last time I checked Syracuse is 2 hours from Albany the game wasn't on Syracuse's home court. If we played a team that actually cared about basketball the arena wouldn't have been 95% Orange it still would have had a clear Orange majority, but you fall to realize the committee takes care of the top 16 seeds for the 1st and 2nd rounds since 2003.
In 1987 Syracuse was the 2 seed and North Carolina was the 1 seed the Elite 8 game was played in the Meadowlands in New Jersey was SU given an unfair advantage? By your logic, Yes because the 2 seed was closer. In 2010 Duke had beat 3 seed Baylor in Houston. Did Duke complain? No, they beat Baylor in Texas and won the title. I don't hear you saying anything about that. Fact is this top 4 seeds get preference from the committee for location and there is nothing more to debate as it is a fact.

OK Boss. You come up with some weak examples. SU playing in the Meadowlands is not a home court advantage against UNC. I was at that game and it was not one-sided at all. UNC travels with the best of them and Rutherford, NJ is 200+ miles from Syracuse. I am talking about the blatantly obvious cases. Little newsflash for ya- Texas is a big state. Waco is probably 250 miles or more from Houston. That is not a big homecourt advantage for Baylor. Duke probably had just as many fans there as Baylor (their fans would rather go to a spring football game).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom