Lville fans must be besides themselves | Syracusefan.com

Lville fans must be besides themselves

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
What the hell r they doing out there. Russ Smiths last shot in the second ot was horrific

The 30 footer.

Where does ND find all these white guys?

Low 80s each team about to go to 4th OT. Brutal.

I've been texting and talking to my Lville nephew, Kyle. What a game! Very hard to be on the losing side of it. He was beside himself. However, as I was typing this, he just texted me, "I remain in good spirits!" Good ole Kyle. He and his dad are loyal SU fans as well, because of my daughter and me.

Good night!

Louisville fans are beside themselves and they aren't good company. :eek::mad:

I thought the worse decision he made was when they had the ball and the lead and instead of allowing himself to be fouled he drove the lane didn't pass to the open guy on his left and threw up a ball on the glass. That was the end of overtime 4. Of course ND came back down and tied it. I looked at my wife and said Russ Smith is trying to lose this game on purpose. My wife then says, is that the guy that threw the ball to the Syracuse player a few weeks ago. I said no that's Peyton Siva. She responded oh they are both short, run fast and do funny things at the end of games. I think she summed them up perfectly.

I thought the worse decision he made was when they had the ball and the lead and instead of allowing himself to be fouled he drove the lane didn't pass to the open guy on his left and threw up a ball on the glass. That was the end of overtime 4. Of course ND came back down and tied it. I looked at my wife and said Russ Smith is trying to lose this game on purpose. My wife then says, is that the guy that threw the ball to the Syracuse player a few weeks ago. I said no that's Peyton Siva. She responded oh they are both short, run fast and do funny things at the end of games. I think she summed them up perfectly.

LMAO good stuff.

I had to watch the replay again, I admittidly fell asleep after Grant made his first 3 in regulation to find them tipping off for OT. I then fell asleep again somewhere and they were int he 2nd OT. I made it throught the rest of the game and was wide awake by the end... The Vill fans were so out of thier mind, one or two of them rushed the court at the end...
derangedlvillefan.jpg

Sorry for the crappy screen grab, I did my best...

What the hell r they doing out there. Russ Smiths last shot in the second ot was horrific
The thing that struck me was Pitino NEVER calling TOs to set up plays on these key possessions. I sort of get it for the first one, but after your primary scorer melts down THAT time, next time (when you have 2 TOs), freaking call one! He kept letting it play out and his guys kept blowing it. He had enough OTs to adjust but didn't.

Did Russ Smith set the NCAA record for missed buzzer beaters in one game? What'd he end up with, 5 missed?

The game reminded me so much of SU-UConn. The team that won should have lost at the end of every period of play except the last.

Also, how does ND's 2nd/3rd teasers beat Lville's 1st/ 2nd teamers over 25 minutes. Wow. That's a bad on Loiusville. The OTs were played at a pretty high level, I thought.

The game reminded me so much of SUUConn. The team that won should have lost at the end of every period of play except the last.

Also, how does ND's 2nd/3rd teasers beat Lville's 1st/ 2nd teasers over 25 minutes. Wow. That's a bad on Loiusville. The OTs were played at a pretty high level, I thought.
I thought the same thing during the game. The parallels between the two games were strong.

Pitino has to calm down. His eyes are bulging and he's acting like he's coaching a practice instead of a game. He's wound up so tight it's beginning to effect his players. In his defense, he has to have the two stupidest guards I've ever seen. They don't gave a clue about time and place in a game. Smith's wild drive when Louisville was up in OT was just mind bogging. He needs to pull it out and run some clock or at least give it up to a guy who has an uncontested layup. They need to start getting the ball to their best player in key parts of the game and that isn't their guards, but Buhanen. It's like SU with making sure CJ gets touches. This team is way overrated. Props to ND for willing themselves to win that game. Look at the difference in sideline demeanor between Brey and Pitino and it's not hard to figure which team is more relaxed when playing.

Pitino has to calm down. His eyes are bulging and he's acting like he's coaching a practice instead of a game. He's wound up so tight it's beginning to effect his players. In his defense, he has to have the two stupidest guards I've ever seen. They don't gave a clue about time and place in a game. Smith's wild drive when Louisville was up in OT was just mind bogging. He needs to pull it out and run some clock or at least give it up to a guy who has an uncontested layup. They need to start getting the ball to their best player in key parts of the game and that isn't their guards, but Buhanen. It's like SU with making sure CJ gets touches. This team is way overrated. Props to ND for willing themselves to win that game. Look at the difference in sideline demeanor between Brey and Pitino and it's not hard to figure which team is more relaxed when playing.

Some great points! Absolutely, Pitino's demeanor has to be impacting his players, especially at crunch time. They are already hyped up as it is. When you start getting in their heads about every bad play, they start to second guess themselves. Been there and done that as a young coach. You need to be firm but have to keep them focused on the next play and what we can do better.

As for Behanan, how he doesn't touch the ball on EVERY overtime possession last night is a question that Ancient Aliens guy will be asking for years to come. Behanan is their BEST player, bar none. No one on ND could stop him. The guy can create his own shots. Give it to him at the high post in the zone and let him go. Pretty soon they will have to collapse and then you have open threes.

I think the entire Louisville bench, coaches included, just lost focus. I mean, holy sheet!

So glad Brey won that. Once he lost his three top players to fouls, he was playing with house money and no pressure. He was having a blast and keeping his kids loose. You could just see their confidence building in every huddle. I remember reading Brey's lips at one point during a time out and he said something like "Isn't this fun!!". Just awesome stuff.

Some great points! Absolutely, Pitino's demeanor has to be impacting his players, especially at crunch time. They are already hyped up as it is. When you start getting in their heads about every bad play, they start to second guess themselves. Been there and done that as a young coach. You need to be firm but have to keep them focused on the next play and what we can do better.

As for Behanan, how he doesn't touch the ball on EVERY overtime possession last night is a question that Ancient Aliens guy will be asking for years to come. Behanan is their BEST player, bar none. No one on ND could stop him. The guy can create his own shots. Give it to him at the high post in the zone and let him go. Pretty soon they will have to collapse and then you have open threes.

I think the entire Louisville bench, coaches included, just lost focus. I mean, holy sheet!

So glad Brey won that. Once he lost his three top players to fouls, he was playing with house money and no pressure. He was having a blast and keeping his kids loose. You could just see their confidence building in every huddle. I remember reading Brey's lips at one point during a time out and he said something like "Isn't this fun!!". Just awesome stuff.
That last foul on Cooley was crap

The thing that struck me was Pitino NEVER calling TOs to set up plays on these key possessions. I sort of get it for the first one, but after your primary scorer melts down THAT time, next time (when you have 2 TOs), freaking call one! He kept letting it play out and his guys kept blowing it. He had enough OTs to adjust but didn't.

I agree so much with this. I like the idea of not calling a TO to set up a play and letting your team play it out in general, but the first time Smith made a terrible decision, I think you gotta call a TO the next time. If I'm a Louisville fan I'd be going nuts that we couldn't get Behanan a touch during those last second shots.

Not a great job by some really good coaches today, between Pitino and the lack of fouling in the Wiscy-Michigan game.

Then you look at Brey, and he's cracking up in the huddle with his guys, giving high fives, etc. I don't think he's a better coach than Pitino but his kids were definitely more loose last night.

Edit: PeteCalvin, sorry man, did not read your post before I posted, but I pretty much just stole everything you said...

I agree so much with this. I like the idea of not calling a TO to set up a play and letting your team play it out in general, but the first time Smith made a terrible decision, I think you gotta call a TO the next time. If I'm a Louisville fan I'd be going nuts that we couldn't get Behanan a touch during those last second shots.

Not a great job by some really good coaches today, between Pitino and the lack of fouling in the Wiscy-Michigan game.

Then you look at Brey, and he's cracking up in the huddle with his guys, giving high fives, etc. I don't think he's a better coach than Pitino but his kids were definitely more loose last night.

Edit: PeteCalvin, sorry man, did not read your post before I posted, but I pretty much just stole everything you said...

Plagiarism!

Sorry, Knicks. At some point next year we're going to suspend you for this, and then take weeks before reviewing exactly what happened in front of the SyracuseFan.com HONOR COMMITTEE!

Current Honor Committe Members:
Matt24
BRNVFECUSZVE

That's why they don't post any more - conflict of interest to sit on the committee and post here.

Mike and Mike on ESPN were analyzing the Super Bowl. They said that before the game John Harbaugh was clam and Jim was agitated. The Ravens played relaxed while the Niners were tight. But then, at the time of the black-out, John Harbaugh spent the delay chewing out NFL/Dome officials on the sidelines while Jim spent it playing catch with his players. The Niners came back and the Ravens lost their moment, even though they finally put together a drive to save it. I remember all the talk about Doug Marrone being too laid-back on the sidelines and the late season run occurred when he allowed himself to get more fiery. I guess there's "good fiery" and "bad fiery".

Some crazy random thoughts I had during this game.

That was such a strange ending and watching Louisville lose lead after lead from regulation through each OT it was like an endless groundhog day loop. The only explanation is that Pitino decided to put the fate of his team on Siva/Smith as a longterm lesson. I can't explain it any other way - Pitino must think he needs Smith to be successful and he gave him enough length to hang himself and maybe help subdue his ego. It seems obvious that Smith is pretty uncoachable but has the cajones and cockiness to think he can win games all by himself. Maybe Pitino figures if he had pulled him that it would just fuel his belief that he's unstoppable and a one man team. Either that or Pitino is losing it. By the way is Russ Smith related to JR Smith - both seem so capable of winning or losing games so easily.

Pitino sure made Brey look like a happy go lucky,loose fun coach to play for - quite an accomplishment. How many foul shots did they miss too - yikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom