L'ville, holy cow | Syracusefan.com

L'ville, holy cow

GoSU96

Living Legend
Overall revenue went from $63M to $87M last year.

Ticket sales, $18M to $26.5, Rights/Licensing $12.5 to $16M, Contributions $17M to $28M.

They are flush. $77M from tied to operations or contributions to the AD, $10M in school support from Student Fees and School Funds.

Pretty good for a communter school.

Rutgers is at the other end of the spectrum, $32M from operations/contributions, $28.5 from school support.

Ticket sales, $18M to $26.5, Rights/Licensing $12.5 to $16M, Contributions $17M to $28M.

They are flush. $77M from tied to operations or contributions to the AD, $10M in school support from Student Fees and School Funds.

Rutgers is at the other end of the spectrum, $32M from operations/contributions, $28.5 from school support.

As I said before...besides academics (which are improving) they would be a nice add to the ACC.

As I said before...besides academics (which are improving) they would be a nice add to the ACC.

They are a brand name that isn't a mouth to feed. I don't know how they are doing it, but their reported revenue blows everybody else in the ACC and BE away.

They are a brand name that isn't a mouth to feed. I don't know how they are doing it, but their reported revenue blows everybody else in the ACC and BE away.

I have learned whenever something appears to be too good to be true, it generally is

I would not be surprised if sometime in the near future we see accounting and financing scandals among major universities (cooked books, fraud, etc.)

Wait a minute. Wait a minute.

They are holding up the students and the University general fund for $10 M to balance their books. Looks to me like they have a $10 million hole to fill. This is the same accounting trick Rutgers uses to show they break even in athletics. Except their actual shortage is much more as Texan Mark shows above.

A healthy atheltic budget would require no student fees or money from the general fund.

Louisville is HQ to several major players in the Food Industry (YUM, Papa John's Texas Roadhouse, etc...) and has other industries doing well (GE, UPS, etc...) so they receive lots of corpoarate sponsorship, their fan base competes with SEC fans daily (UK) so they don't blink an eye at expensive seat licenses, Charlie Strong has reinvigorated the FB program after Krags left and the YUM center is the best BB facility in the country with a great location. Louisville is just like Syracuse (with lots of T-shirt fans) plus they have most of their alumni living within 60 miles so actually attend the games unlike Cuse.

I have learned whenever something appears to be too good to be true, it generally is

I would not be surprised if sometime in the near future we see accounting and financing scandals among major universities (cooked books, fraud, etc.)

Amen to that.

An exceptional performance is invariably rooted in how the books are kept. I can make numbers say anything I want as long as you let me control all the assumptions, allocation methodology, etc.

Amen to that.

An exceptional performance is invariably rooted in how the books are kept. I can make numbers say anything I want as long as you let me control all the assumptions, allocation methodology, etc.

No doubt the books might be cooked a little bit...but Louisville has real fans and great facilities unlike Rutgirls...Louisville is legit.

Wait a minute. Wait a minute.

They are holding up the students and the University general fund for $10 M to balance their books. Looks to me like they have a $10 million hole to fill. This is the same accounting trick Rutgers uses to show they break even in athletics. Except their actual shortage is much more as Texan Mark shows above.

A healthy atheltic budget would require no student fees or money from the general fund.

Very few, and I mean very very few, don't have any contributions of that nature. It's not close to Rutgers in total dollars or proportion.

Very few, and I mean very very few, don't have any contributions of that nature. It's not close to Rutgers in total dollars or proportion.

I have always believed that there has been a fundamental deceit that underly Rutgers football. It was a program that no one wanted except AD Mulcahy. It was foisted upon the good citizens of NJ. The season ticket wait list that powered the stadium expansion turned out to be a myth and the $26 M they are getting from the students is close to outright robbery. It's almost immoral because I have seen crowds of Rutgers students get off the train in New Brunswick and I promise you this group has no interest in football whatsoever.

I'll take your word on it. But I do know the University of Maryland is prohibited by law from using general fund dollars to fund the athletic department. I'd be surprised if that isn't true some other places.

Pretty good for a commuter school.

Not sure how this plays into the numbers, but the KFC Yum Center is off campus and sells beer and liquor. Plus, luxury boxes are plentiful and expensive, with no shortage of folks/corporations paying for them. Papa Johns Cardinal stadium sells beer as well...believe me, I've had some. This undoubtedly raises a good amount of $$.

Louisville is HQ to several major players in the Food Industry (YUM, Papa John's Texas Roadhouse, etc...) and has other industries doing well (GE, UPS, etc...) so they receive lots of corporate sponsorship, their fan base competes with SEC fans daily (UK) so they don't blink an eye at expensive seat licenses, Charlie Strong has reinvigorated the FB program after Krags left and the YUM center is the best BB facility in the country with a great location. Louisville is just like Syracuse (with lots of T-shirt fans) plus they have most of their alumni living within 60 miles so actually attend the games unlike Cuse.

Mark, you are on the mark with all your comments here. Indeed, there are many alumni living with a couple hours of Louisville, but the university's reach has become much more expansive over the last several years.

Charlie Strong can be credited with increasing attendance and enthusiasm again...he is a class guy. I have a good friend who works at Yum - yes, the company is doing well. Lots of hospitals and doctors too. There's definitely money in this town helping to feed college athletics through attendance and contributions.

I'd love it if we kept playing LVille every year in BBall and FBall.

I'd love it if we kept playing LVille every year in BBall and FBall.

Fat chance.

In basketball, JBs approach has not been to play a lot of strong teams OOC. And the list of teams that is going to want to maintain rivalries with SU is a long one starting with Georgetown.

In football, if we have an 8 game ACC schedule, we might have one spot a year on the schedule for teams like Louisville and lots of suitors.

AP chickenfrying? Not sure about the academics, but their MBB revenue has to be top 5.

AP chickenfrying? Not sure about the academics, but their MBB revenue has to be top 5.

When you start as low down on the academic totem pole as UL has, it's easy to show improvement and almost impossible to get worse.

Fat chance.

In basketball, JBs approach has not been to play a lot of strong teams OOC. And the list of teams that is going to want to maintain rivalries with SU is a long one starting with Georgetown.

In football, if we have an 8 game ACC schedule, we might have one spot a year on the schedule for teams like Louisville and lots of suitors.

Clearly. I was more talking about if LVille joined the ACC. I've enjoyed watching our schools match up against each other recently.

Clearly. I was more talking about if LVille joined the ACC. I've enjoyed watching our schools match up against each other recently.

If that's what you were talking about, fine. But it was anything but the "clear" you claim it was.

Speaking for myself, I don't care if SU plays UL again in anything except maybe in the NCAA BB tourney. The school is just another open enrollment, commuter college located in the middle of the US somewhere indistinguishable from Memphis or UAB ot the University of Tampa.

I'm past ready to turn the page and play Maryland, UVA, Wake and UNC. The sooner we stop playing the old NNBE schools, the sooner we can disassociates ourselves from theis clusterf...

Fat chance.

ACC is going to a 9 game schedule. So there will be no Louisville, neither in conference or out.

For me personally, I think I'll still be able to sleep at night. Louisville = yawn. I'll miss that Dome energy with 14 people from the great fanbase wearing their red proudly.

If that's what you were talking about, fine. But it was anything but the "clear" you claim it was.

Speaking for myself, I don't care if SU plays UL again in anything except maybe in the NCAA BB tourney. The school is just another open enrollment, commuter college located in the middle of the US somewhere indistinguishable from Memphis or UAB ot the University of Tampa.

I'm past ready to turn the page and play Maryland, UVA, Wake and UNC. The sooner we stop playing the old NNBE schools, the sooner we can disassociates ourselves from theis clusterf...

Except the city of Louisville blows away those other places you mentioned, imo. GREAT place!

Except the city of Louisville blows away those other places you mentioned, imo. GREAT place!

I have never been to Louisville. So the possibility exists that I might agree with you. But I doubt it.

In the past few years I have been to Cincinnati, St. Louis, Birmingham, Memphis, Jackson and Nashville. And after looking at those places closely, I some how doubt that Louisville is going to be all that much better. With the exception of Nashville --- which is a cut above --- they are all cities that have seen better days. The downtown areas are decaying. Few stores remain, having followed the population to the burbs. Lots of police cars prowling the streets at night suggest lots of crime.

Downtown Memphis around Beale St isn't bad. But all of them are dumps compared to Washington.

I have never been to Louisville. So the possibility exists that I might agree with you. But I doubt it.

In the past few years I have been to Cincinnati, St. Louis, Birmingham, Memphis, Jackson and Nashville. And after looking at those places closely, I some how doubt that Louisville is going to be all that much better. With the exception of Nashville --- which is a cut above --- they are all cities that have seen better days. The downtown areas are decaying. Few stores remain, having followed the population to the burbs. Lots of police cars prowling the streets at night suggest lots of crime.

Downtown Memphis around Beale St isn't bad. But all of them are dumps compared to Washington.

Oh for sure. I have been to all of those as well. Most are dumps like you say. Louisville and Nashville are QUITE a step from those places, IMO. Nashville is a really happening place right now especially if you're in the music business like I am. The Louisville/Nashville downtowns are very nice.

ACC is going to a 9 game schedule. So there will be no Louisville, neither in conference or out.

For me personally, I think I'll still be able to sleep at night. Louisville = yawn. I'll miss that Dome energy with 14 people from the great fanbase wearing their red proudly.

Yeah, I've always been confused when people have been listing Louisville as an opponent they'll miss. I mean we started playing them 7 years ago, basically. How attached can we be? From a football standpoint there are ACC schools that we have a longer history with (and I'm not including the former BE schools).

Yeah, I've always been confused when people have been listing Louisville as an opponent they'll miss. I mean we started playing them 7 years ago, basically. How attached can we be? From a football standpoint there are ACC schools that we have a longer history with (and I'm not including the former BE schools).

Living in Louisville, my "attachment" is pretty much the fact that I'm not getting a "home" game every other year. The Cardinal fanbase is a passionate one that resonates as a true fan of college football. They get it, they get their team, they get their place in it - albeit with the desire to climb the ladder and who shouldn't aspire to that? I think they would be an excellent fit in a top tier BCS league - they compete to win in many other NCAA sports - volleyball, soccer, women's bball, softball, baseball. It's a shame their academic profile isn't better.