Lydon at 3 is horrible | Syracusefan.com

Lydon at 3 is horrible

20Plus

The problem is the guy guarding him would be comfortable guarding his perimeter game.

So then if he tries to take his game inside there's too many bigs involved already down there with two on offense and two on defense.

And when he's at the three

Battle or White is out !!

Horrible lineup needs to stop

maybe.
I agree white and battle both need to play, however basketball is about pressuring your opponent and defense as well. lydon at the 3 does that better than battle and white by miles.

stats aside just his presence at the three is his biggest advantage defensively rebounding on both ends and getting bigs in foul trouble. All stats aside (and he had 7 boards tonight). I am for cutting his minutes at the three to maybe 12 per half though.
We held monmouth to 21 second half points tonight and won by 25.

Good defensive teams will be draped on lydon pf or sf reguardless getting a breath on his release is up to him regardless of who is on him. He can thow the entry pass effortlessly against any sf and team in the country. Would like to see him dead on middle court top of the three point line though, his three can bounce in from there.

Battle, white, howard gillon and soon lydon(it will come around) can all hit a big bucket for us so why give up your best defensive lineup? Justso your offensive lineup can roll the dice and risk shooting 8% higher and try to outscore them. That isn't JB's way either. Lydon's points at this point in the season mean little imo. remember how cooney started his last 2 seasons?

Last edited:
The problem is the guy guarding him would be comfortable guarding his perimeter game.

So then if he tries to take his game inside there's too many bigs involved already down there with two on offense and two on defense.

Agreed. I feel like the issue Lydon is having is one of identity. You've got a completely different team, obviously, with a makeup that went from defense-first/offensively challenged to a bunch of guys who love have the ball in their hands and/or shooting (white/gillon/battle -- not selfish per se but guys who are looking for their own offense). So Lydon is getting fewer touches, ironically, then when he gets it he's mostly on the perimeter b/c this team, as most JB teams do, struggles to feed the post. So he's either shooting a contested three or trying to drive on a smaller player to the basket. It's a rough stretch for him right now. Have to feel like he'll figure it out, but for everyone who is going to say 'you're crazy, lydon is incredible' the bottom line is it's been ugly so far.

we were 42% from the field today and won by 25 against a tournament caliber team. We were 58% from the field last game. We had 16 turnovers today how about keeping that down to 10 so we win by 30 today instead? White was scoreless in the second half and we still hit 70.

Monmouth was 13% from three and 31% from the field.
I will agree battle and white need to be on the floor together for more minutes at sg s as our 2 man 6th man team. But knocking small forward down to 0 minutes from 34 a game after a 25 point blowout seems kind of drastic don't you think?

Last edited:
Try reading some of his room temperature IQ garbola on the NP board.

:rolling:
my good friend Donald Trump always says when they go low you build it high :p

Last edited:
Lydon is hurting physically. Took Dive in to seats last game and was limping off the court at halftime tonight. Not saying it is serious, but definitely playing banged up right now.

Shut down defense with Robey on the other wing. Things will get tweaked, I'm not sweating it. Could be hurting or feeling out his role, like last year. Way too early to say him at 3 won't work, especially with both 4's showing the ability to draw defenders out of the paint.

Shut down defense with Robey on the other wing. Things will get tweaked, I'm not sweating it. Could be hurting or feeling out his role, like last year. Way too early to say him at 3 won't work, especially with both 4's showing the ability to draw defenders out of the paint.
I agree with this. It's hard to like what we have seen on offense from him at the 3. But the defense is very good. And it is too early to hit the panic button.

just a short observation -
9:30 mark with lydon at center
cuse up 17-11
monmouth basket inside
cuse 3 pointer 20-13
monmouth miss - monmouth rebound basket inside
cuse gillon miss
monmouth basket inside 20-17
cuse charge
monmouth miss
monmouth steal
6:20 monmouth kickout for three pointer
20-20.

6 pts 7 rebounds 4 blocks 3 assists 2 steals.

Last edited:

I like Robey, Lydon, Thompson on the back line. Battle and Gillon front line. Howard combination too.

Coleman is needed when Lydon can't match up well against the other teams center. Chukwu is a freak of nature so he's good just to fill in some playing time, block some shots, and absorb some fouls.

JB will figure it out. I think sometimes he figures it out but keeps playing odd lineups just to see what happens or to get a player to improve in some way.

yeah really frustrating night for him - feel like he's probably pressing a bit and like others have said, figuring out his role and getting comfortable in it

Agreed. He is not a 3.

Agreed. He is not a 3.

True, but at the 4 we also have Roberson & Thompson, and at the 5 we have Coleman & Chukwu. As JB works the rotations, keeping all 9 in the mix, Lydon gets minutes at the 3.

It is effective to boost the inside defense, but hampers the movement on offense.

This is a pretty glaring weakness in his game. He has great hands, good athlete, can shoot, and is smart. But its looking painfully obvious he can't create his own.

Unrelated q: but what's the breakdown of whites shooting first half v second half? Seems like he can't hit a shot in the second

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom