Mackey talks about the differences between FHCDM & HCSS | Syracusefan.com

Mackey talks about the differences between FHCDM & HCSS

“I’m not saying coach Marrone didn’t do that, but coach Marrone had a much deeper bond with guys from the city because he knew where they came from. Shafer really makes it his effort to know where guys came from.”

That quote says alot. Its great to have those NYC bonds, but if you can't relate with the other half of your non NYC squad, you are going to have issues. Its also a major reason why I don't think concentrating on NYC alone was a winning strategy for the long term growth of the team.

In another ACC Media Day article Mackey talked about all of the injuries SU suffered in the 2011 season. Most notably all of the concussions. It appears that Missouri will have to run a lighter camp because they have suffered a lot of injuries in the past 2 seasons.

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/07/22/4360415/mu-coach-gary-pinkel-makes-interview.html

The depth wasn't quite there to help with this problem either. Adjusting their practices was a smart move and you could tell there wasn't a lot of giddy up in their go as the season progressed.

There is no doubt that Marrone and Shafer are different personalities plus how they interact with the players...we've been reading this for a while now from the way the players have talked/tweeted about these two HC's. I hope Shafer is more successful but to me as long as the HC knows what the heck he is doing I don't care what their personality is as long as they are there for the student athletes, someone they know will have their back which Shafer seems to be. Might just be my opinion but Marrone seemed to have a bit of a inner circle feeling type guy. The alumni...NYC kids. Shafer seems to have no judgements or preconceived feelings and is pretty open to all but as time goes on we'll see how that goes when he starts to get more pressure being the HC.

That quote says alot. Its great to have those NYC bonds, but if you can't relate with the other half of your non NYC squad, you are going to have issues. Its also a major reason why I don't think concentrating on NYC alone was a winning strategy for the long term growth of the team.
I've heard more than once that many of the NYC kids can be difficult to get along with. Never a mention of names rather just a general statement.

that quote in it's entirety is a glowing endorsement of Shafer and one that I think will resonate as we move forward.

Shafer just knows how to talk with these guys,” MacPherson said. “He knows where they come from. He knows about their background. He really investigates more than just the surface. “I’m not saying coach Marrone didn’t do that, but coach Marrone had a much deeper bond with guys from the city because he knew where they came from. Shafer really makes it his effort to know where guys came from.”

The focus on NYC was to find some hidden gems among the 3-sport athletes. I think the feeling was that it was SU's best chance to quickly gain a dominant recruiting position in an area of D1 athletes based on Marrone's connections.

I'm nervous. I liked Marrone's businessman attitude with the players, as it was a sharp contrast to the joking, smoking, and plush animal toting Grob. I hope Shafer can strike a decent balance. With less talent than other teams, we need discipline and work ethic to be paramount.

that quote in it's entirety is a glowing endorsement of Shafer and one that I think will resonate as we move forward.

Shafer just knows how to talk with these guys,” MacPherson said. “He knows where they come from. He knows about their background. He really investigates more than just the surface. “I’m not saying coach Marrone didn’t do that, but coach Marrone had a much deeper bond with guys from the city because he knew where they came from. Shafer really makes it his effort to know where guys came from.”

Exactly. Not to mention, such an approach should work much better in recruiting. The kids need attention, and a business-like demeanor may often be interpreted as indifference.

I'm nervous. I liked Marrone's businessman attitude with the players, as it was a sharp contrast to the joking, smoking, and plush animal toting Grob. I hope Shafer can strike a decent balance. With less talent than other teams, we need discipline and work ethic to be paramount.

Here's why I'm optimistic - I think Shafer enjoys being a college coach, and the things associated with being a college coach as opposed to coaching at other levels, much, much, MUCH more than Marrone and that will strike the balance you're looking for between Robinson's loose approach and Marrone's structured approach.

The focus on NYC was to find some hidden gems among the 3-sport athletes. I think the feeling was that it was SU's best chance to quickly gain a dominant recruiting position in an area of D1 athletes based on Marrone's connections.
Perfectly said my friend.

Here's why I'm optimistic - I think Shafer enjoys being a college coach, and the things associated with being a college coach as opposed to coaching at other levels, much, much, MUCH more than Marrone and that will strike the balance you're looking for between Robinson's loose approach and Marrone's structured approach.
Probably why Marrone said that Shafer brought more to the table than he did, as he headed off to Buffalo. Translation: I don't want to coach in college any more, and he does.

And he has a posse ready to go that loves it as much as he does.

Good point