Macky MacPherson: Know the Name--ESPN Article | Syracusefan.com

Macky MacPherson: Know the Name--ESPN Article

Very good article.
Yes it is!

Hard to believe that ESPN has stooped so low as to write positive articles about "blocking dummies". It would really suck if he gets drafted next year.

Yes it is!

Hard to believe that ESPN has stooped so low as to write positive articles about "blocking dummies". It would really suck if he gets drafted next year.
Agreed - a lot of people on the board will be eating crow.

Agreed - a lot of people on the board will be eating crow.

Hope the kid didn't read some of the $ht being said about him 2 years ago! Same for Nassib as well...

i had my doubts early on. His soph year he struggled at times. But he worked his butt off, knew the system, and became a great center despite his lack of size. Marrone knew what he was doing

i had my doubts early on. His soph year he struggled at times. But he worked his butt off, knew the system, and became a great center despite his lack of size. Marrone knew what he as doing
Just curious...how big must a center be before he is considered under-sized? Macky weighs 285 pounds.

Just curious...how big must a center be before he is considered under-sized? Macky weighs 285 pounds.
I was wrong to about Mac. Mainly because of his size!! But I think dougie had little to do with it. Mac did it himself. He has a great work and leader ethic!! I know his grandfather is not all that much of a fan of dougie now!!

Macky was 270 his soph. year he worked hard to add muscle weight. But he was careful not to add too much. Alot of interior lineman specially DT's weigh 290 plus. That can wear you out during the duration of the game as the opponent keep rotating fresh DT's in. 6'3 or above is considered ideal. So they can add more weight to their frame without losing much speed or mobility. The shorter you are the harder. You dont want to be 6'2 300 pounds as a OL at this level. limits your mobility.

542275_492634484080078_1312443446_n.jpg

I was wrong to about Mac. Mainly because of his size!! But I think dougie had little to do with it. Mac did it himself. He has a great work and leader ethic!! I know his grandfather is not all that much of a fan of dougie now!!

Perhaps. But DM also gave him a scholarship when other schools weren't jumping at the chance.

There is no one on this board who doubted Mac more than me. I truly thought that he was a kid who would have been much better off playing for one of the Ivy schools or a school like Maine. I could not have been more wrong. I have been trying to find another example of a Syracuse player who has made the most of his talents but im hard pressed. Not sure if a bunch of Crows are considered a flock but if so im ready for a flock of Crow!

The doubts were understandable. I dont think anyone can argue that. lol. grandson of a former coach, had no other offers. Came into SU barely 6'2, 256 pounds. He didnt play center in HS. I watched him at the Upstate/Downstate game and he didnt look good. I didnt think he couldnt do it, I just had concerns. Like i said. Marrone believed in him. He worked very hard and became a valuable OLineman during a important time of rebuilding at SU.

The doubts were understandable. I dont think anyone can argue that. lol. grandson of a former coach, had no other offers. Came into SU barely 6'2, 256 pounds. He didnt play center in HS. I watched him at the Upstate/Downstate game and he didnt look good. I didnt think he couldnt do it, I just had concerns. Like i said. Marrone believed in him. He worked very hard and became a valuable OLineman during a important time of rebuilding at SU.
You know it really is pretty amazing. Mac has to be one of the biggest overachievers or better put achievers to have worn orange. This year he is going to be extremely important as i believe Mac will end up helping out our new qb a ton. Glad for him and hope he has a great year.

You know it really is pretty amazing. Mac has to be one of the biggest overachievers or better put achievers to have worn orange. This year he is going to be extremely important as i believe Mac will end up helping out our new qb a ton. Glad for him and hope he has a great year.

capable of making all ACC team IMO

If he doesn't go to the next level, kid has coach written all over him. I doubted him as well, but I'm happy to say he is one of our biggest assets going into the ACC season. I root hard for him because I know how hard the position is.

DM liked him so much because he has a high football IQ, was a workout warrior and had a good base technique. A lack in size can sometimes be overstated. He isn't as ideally big as some would like him, but he has more than held his own.

Good intangibles that Macky possesses trumps his "lack" of size. That's why he has been so successful. Oh yeah, some good coaching from Marrone and Adkins helped, too. I'm sure no one would give them any credit though.

Kid will undoubtedly be leader of this year's team. I think he could be an All-ACC type of player.

Hard not to love a kid like that.

There is no one on this board who doubted Mac more than me. I truly thought that he was a kid who would have been much better off playing for one of the Ivy schools or a school like Maine. I could not have been more wrong. I have been trying to find another example of a Syracuse player who has made the most of his talents but im hard pressed. Not sure if a bunch of Crows are considered a flock but if so im ready for a flock of Crow!
A murder of crows

A murder of crows

Macky's also a good example of why redshirting can be so valuable. Think of the luxury it would be if he wasn't just eligible next season, but the one after that.

Let this be a lesson to all those that bash kids that we've recruited without giving them a chance to prove themselves.

I don't know why we as a fanbase feel the need to talk about kids we haven't seen play besides on youtube. We should support every single player that accepts a scholarship to our university and root for them to succeed.

Let this be a lesson to all those that bash kids that we've recruited without giving them a chance to prove themselves.

I don't know why we as a fanbase feel the need to talk about kids we haven't seen play besides on youtube. We should support every single player that accepts a scholarship to our university and root for them to succeed.

Here Here. Great post Bnoro. Hey, I noticed we are in the same section at the final 4 this weekend. I'm in row 1, you should stop by and say hello.