Magnitude of This Year's Clemson Game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Magnitude of This Year's Clemson Game

I'm curious just how important everyone thinks this game is. I'm having a hard time recalling a more hyped regular season game in SU football history. I really feel this one particular game could go a long way to changing the perception of the program on a national level.

What other games in the past had this feel? A couple that come to mind for me would be WVU in '87 & Miami in '92. I was only 5 & 10 years old for those games, so I'm making an assumption on the WVU game. I remember Miami being a really big deal. In my adult lifetime, I'm not sure I can recall another one. What am I missing/forgetting?

Florida '91, the late 80's FSU games, UT and Michigan opening the year in 98, Miami 96 was for the conference championship, McNabb's last game.

What makes you think this game could be important??

Florida '91, the late 80's FSU games, UT and Michigan opening the year in 98, Miami 96 was for the conference championship, McNabb's last game.

Florida '91 is a good one. UT and Michigan were big too, but for whatever reason I dont recall quite the same level of hype. I probably didn't appreciate it quite as much being younger and SU always being good.

I’m hoping this will be the first Dome sell out that I have ever been too. I am 22 and have yet to see a full Dome to the max capacity. It’s something I really really want to see. I seriously believe a packed dome with the energy of a night game has to be top 5 hardest places to play in the country without a doubt in my mind. I hope I witness it on September 14.

You think liberty will be competitive?

I mean I certainly hope not, but anything is possible in college football when you don't have exhibitions and the game is on the road.

I’m hoping this will be the first Dome sell out that I have ever been too. I am 22 and have yet to see a full Dome to the max capacity. It’s something I really really want to see. I seriously believe a packed dome with the energy of a night game has to be top 5 hardest places to play in the country without a doubt in my mind. I hope I witness it on September 14.

They used to measure the sound decibels during games and equate it to standing next to a jackhammer. It can be a very tough environment for the opposing teams when full and loud. We are definitely trending back to those days.

You think liberty will be competitive?

Hey, it's a 50-50 shot, with teams are equal, one winner, one loser. Both teams putting it all on the line. After all, you never know how the coin toss will go. After the coin toss, I heavily favor the Orange. I like our chances.

They used to measure the sound decibels during games and equate it to standing next to a jackhammer. It can be a very tough environment for the opposing teams when full and loud. We are definitely trending back to those days.
They need to do that now during games. Have an image on the big screens that show a meter and the sound level and then show it go up as it gets louder.

Nothing else like it. Especially in the early fall heat like it will be in mid September. Soul stealing heat, skull-crushing loud, completely claustrophobic where you feel like you're struggling just to take a breath, everyone and everything is wet and drenched with sweat and on top of each other. This may be the last one ever that is like that, the old way of the Dome...literally the realm of myth and legend. This is everyone's last chance to live it.

Love you being real about the first 2 games which could be challenging and i believe on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being Wagner in the dome and 10 being at Bama; these games both fall into the same category of super competitive and around a 6. It's gonna be fun!
SU is going to play so well at Maryland that Locksley is going to have New Mexico flashbacks and be choking out assistant coaches & accosting student reporters before the game even ends - book it!

The last Dome sellout I was ever at was the Miami game (in I think 91)

Nothing else like it. Especially in the early fall heat like it will be in mid September. Soul stealing heat, skull-crushing loud, completely claustrophobic where you feel like you're struggling just to take a breath, everyone and everything is wet and drenched with sweat and on top of each other. This may be the last one ever that is like that, the old way of the Dome...literally the realm of myth and legend. This is everyone's last chance to live it.
tenor.gif

Guess I need to find a way back - and bring my son. He needs a little Orange exposure. Makes me think of PSU in '87.

Clemson is a known quantity - they're bringing back all their top guns. We on the other hand are breaking in a relatively untested QB with a retooled OL -- we have a lot more question marks. On paper it's been a mismatch the past 2 years -- we've caught some HUGE breaks with their QB situation in both cases. We're going to need some of that luck to continue if we want to have a puncher's chance. Really wish this game was a bit later in the season.

Clemson is a known quantity - they're bringing back all their top guns. We on the other hand are breaking in a relatively untested QB with a retooled OL -- we have a lot more question marks. On paper it's been a mismatch the past 2 years -- we've caught some HUGE breaks with their QB situation in both cases. We're going to need some of that luck to continue if we want to have a puncher's chance. Really wish this game was a bit later in the season.

I assume you mean on the offensive side of the ball. Their entire D-Line is off to the NFL, along with a key LB and CB. Now - I'm sure they have plenty of talent waiting in the wings, but they lose some big pieces. And Hunter Renfrow exhausted his eligibility after 17 years.

A win would be important.

A lost would not be important.

I'm curious just how important everyone thinks this game is. I'm having a hard time recalling a more hyped regular season game in SU football history. I really feel this one particular game could go a long way to changing the perception of the program on a national level.

What other games in the past had this feel? A couple that come to mind for me would be WVU in '87 & Miami in '92. I was only 5 & 10 years old for those games, so I'm making an assumption on the WVU game. I remember Miami being a really big deal. In my adult lifetime, I'm not sure I can recall another one. What am I missing/forgetting?

I assume you mean on the offensive side of the ball. Their entire D-Line is off to the NFL, along with a key LB and CB. Now - I'm sure they have plenty of talent waiting in the wings, but they lose some big pieces. And Hunter Renfrow exhausted his eligibility after 17 years.
Big pieces but the young guys played a ton of snaps. Hopefully the NCAA grants Renfrow another year. I feel like he didn't play long enough.

Maybe @ Ohio State for first road game of 1988? SU's OL was getting all kinds of accolades and the team was obviously coming off a phenomenal '87 season, but limped out of Columbus defeated 26-9. SU went on to have another great season, losing I think one more game to W. Virginia BUT winning at PSU. The road trip to Columbus was the first for me and it was a lot of fun. Better yet was the road trip to PSU. I remember sitting in one of their cow pasture parking lots after the game and listening to the PSU call-in show and hearing some fans crying on the phone that they couldn't believe they lost to SU two years in a row. Anyway I think the media expectation for SU @ OSU was extremely high in '88.
I remember how bad our oline got beat that day. They got better but they were supposed to be the best

Big pieces but the young guys played a ton of snaps. Hopefully the NCAA grants Renfrow another year. I feel like he didn't play long enough.

If anything, I think Clemson potentially will be even better next season. The offense will be prolific. Lawrence will be the #1 pick when he enters the draft. That's a pretty good place to "start."

Actually, I am hoping that the program and the players spend the next 7-8 months constantly hearing from anyone and everyone just how great they are and should be.

In your dreams, he gets another year. You guys have enough without him though. What do you guys lose aside from Renfrow? I hope its your entire defense, but that is my dreams.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom