Magnitude of This Year's Clemson Game | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Magnitude of This Year's Clemson Game

Became a Syracuse fan in the early 90s when I was young, but really began following in 96-97-98 with McNabb.

Granted I don't have that great a memory but I can't remember being this excited about a game in January.

This may sound like I have a defeatist attitude, but I just want a close game. Would really be deflating if we have the biggest Dome crowd since '98 and we lay an egg.

Became a Syracuse fan in the early 90s when I was young, but really began following in 96-97-98 with McNabb.

Granted I don't have that great a memory but I can't remember being this excited about a game in January.

This may sound like I have a defeatist attitude, but I just want a close game. Would really be deflating if we have the biggest Dome crowd since '98 and we lay an egg.
This sounds like an attitude from the Doug Marrone years. Words ripped right out of my mouth. Dino Babers is a male mammal ergo Dino Babers does not lay eggs.

In your dreams, he gets another year. You guys have enough without him though. What do you guys lose aside from Renfrow? I hope its your entire defense, but that is my dreams.
3 starters on offense and 7 on defense. Offense will still be lethal but the defense may take some time to gel. May be a shootout in the dome...

3 starters on offense and 7 on defense. Offense will still be lethal but the defense may take some time to gel. May be a shootout in the dome...

One thing Dabo does better than most is that he has the depth already to step up. I like having Clemson the third week, because the new players have not fully adjusted, but Dabo will have experienced players stepping up. Dino will be ready, the Dome will be hopping, this will probably be an instant classic regardless of who wins.

I think one issue that Alabama has is with so many blue chip recruits they do not develop players but rather simply run on pure talent. Clemson players seem to know the game deeper, adjust better, at least during the NC game. The same characteristic is one more thing I love about Dino and company, they, too, develop young players and expect to play many players in a game.

As for a shoot out, there is not a facility better suited for a shootout, the fastest track, no crosswinds, no rain, lighting is good. The only drawbacks - for opponents - are the noise and conditions (HOT AND HUMID on the floor!).

This has the potential to be the biggest game for national implications since tenn 98. And before that Miami 92. Can’t really judge this until game week. All it takes is one team stubbing their toe before this matchup to let some air out of the balloon. That’s why Miami 92 sets a very high bar. Cuse slipped up early that season but ran the table to face the hated, defending champs in what amounted to a playoff berth on the line (in today’s terms).

An underrated big home game (maybe i give it too much credence b/c it was my frosh year) was Miami/Syracuse 1994. Top 10 matchup, we were humming coming off a big win vs Tech a few weeks prior. To me when Dan Conley had the interception in the first quarter, that was the loudest I heard the dome.

If we somehow upset the Canes that day who knows how that season plays out. The team was overachieving w Kevin Mason but had some serious talent all around the field.

Clemson is a known quantity - they're bringing back all their top guns. We on the other hand are breaking in a relatively untested QB with a retooled OL -- we have a lot more question marks. On paper it's been a mismatch the past 2 years -- we've caught some HUGE breaks with their QB situation in both cases. We're going to need some of that luck to continue if we want to have a puncher's chance. Really wish this game was a bit later in the season.

Well said pizza. That's why all the top 10 and national championship talk is whacky. Clemson is talented and yes, as well as we have played them, we have caught them with a qb problem the last 2 years. KB being hurt in the dome and then KB leaving the week of our game last year was epic timing for us. We caught their O without their starter and with Lawrence starting for the first time and then he got knocked out.

Well said pizza. That's why all the top 10 and national championship talk is whacky. Clemson is talented and yes, as well as we have played them, we have caught them with a qb problem the last 2 years. KB being hurt in the dome and then KB leaving the week of our game last year was epic timing for us. We caught their O without their starter and with Lawrence starting for the first time and then he got knocked out.

I know this won’t be a popular statement with all, but we are losing the main reason SU has been competitive with elite teams.

Now that Tommy is behind the wheel, I am 444% behind him and expect him to do great things in his time here.

But some folks are dramatically underestimating the impact of losing Eric Dungey.

They were the home team last year and the better guy started vs us. This is a year after losing to us. I think you have to credit our team with playing well there. It was early in the season and our D stepped up and almost won us the game.

In the Dome the year we won we had an answer for everything they did. Our RBs had the games of their careers against their vaunted D Line Strick in particular. Home field was the difference.

They deserve credit because they blew out a team that handled us with ease and Alabama but head to head we can play with them. I think ND wasn't ready for them the way that we weren't ready for ND. And in the NCG QB play won it for them. They will have a brand new D Line if our O Line gives Tommy time we should put up plenty of points.

I think we have a team that can play with anyone. I'm not saying that we could beat Alabama or would have. But lets say Georgia got past them and we ended up playing Bama in the Peach Bowl hypothetically. Its not a given that we get drilled 50-0 we could even win if they didn't bring it because its not the playoffs. Our D gave us a punchers chance well into the 2nd half vs ND. Sadly our WRs forgot how to catch and every bad drop was followed by a bad throw by the QB. Our lack of game changing RBs was apparent. But I'd love our chances this year in a rematch if there was one. I think we might be screwed playing Clemson week 10 not sure we have the depth to play a team like them late in the year but week 3 everyone will be fresh.

This is going to be the biggest game of the year in all of college football Clemson is the story next year they will be must see TV and this years version of Duke BB. Assuming both sides are 2-0 of course its not 100% guaranteed both teams are undefeated. We have a P5 roadie the week before and Clemsons opener vs GT on a Thursday might be tricky the Jackets lead the all time series with Clemson by a large margin and teams don't usually play their best in banner games and A+M has 4 and 5 star recruits

They were the home team last year and the better guy started vs us. This is a year after losing to us. I think you have to credit our team with playing well there. It was early in the season and our D stepped up and almost won us the game.

In the Dome the year we won we had an answer for everything they did. Our RBs had the games of their careers against their vaunted D Line Strick in particular. Home field was the difference.

They deserve credit because they blew out a team that handled us with ease and Alabama but head to head we can play with them. I think ND wasn't ready for them the way that we weren't ready for ND. And in the NCG QB play won it for them. They will have a brand new D Line if our O Line gives Tommy time we should put up plenty of points.

I think we have a team that can play with anyone. I'm not saying that we could beat Alabama or would have. But lets say Georgia got past them and we ended up playing Bama in the Peach Bowl hypothetically. Its not a given that we get drilled 50-0 we could even win if they didn't bring it because its not the playoffs. Our D gave us a punchers chance well into the 2nd half vs ND. Sadly our WRs forgot how to catch and every bad drop was followed by a bad throw by the QB. Our lack of game changing RBs was apparent. But I'd love our chances this year in a rematch if there was one. I think we might be screwed playing Clemson week 10 not sure we have the depth to play a team like them late in the year but week 3 everyone will be fresh.

This is going to be the biggest game of the year in all of college football Clemson is the story next year they will be must see TV and this years version of Duke BB. Assuming both sides are 2-0 of course its not 100% guaranteed both teams are undefeated. We have a P5 roadie the week before and Clemsons opener vs GT on a Thursday might be tricky the Jackets lead the all time series with Clemson by a large margin and teams don't usually play their best in banner games and A+M has 4 and 5 star recruits

Whoa. Gotta pump the breaks brother. I’ve got a hotel room like the other crazies, but even if we both enter 2-0. - by no means certain- highly unlikely this wilk be game of the year in CFB.

Sorry to inject reality as I love unbridled enthusiasm.

Whoa. Gotta pump the breaks brother. I’ve got a hotel room like the other crazies, but even if we both enter 2-0. - by no means certain- highly unlikely this wilk be game of the year in CFB.

Sorry to inject reality as I love unbridled enthusiasm.

I mean UGA-Bama or Clemson-Bama aren't guaranteed to happen if those 3 teams met regular season that would be it but they don't. Everyone is bored of Auburn-Bama and Ohio St-Michigan.

I think ND@UGA week 4 and Clemson@Syracuse week 3 are pretty much tied for most anticipated early season matchups. For whatever reason there isn't anything good on the slate for week 1. Neutral site games aren't that god DUKE is playing Bama in the Falcons stadium. Auburn vs Oregon @ Jerry world is it for marquee week 1 games maybe UF Miami at Camping World counts.

We played Clemson tougher than anyone else and won the year before and they are the 'it' team next year. Even SEC meatheads who hate on the ACC are looking forward to this game. Its a big one.

I mean UGA-Bama or Clemson-Bama aren't guaranteed to happen if those 3 teams met regular season that would be it but they don't. Everyone is bored of Auburn-Bama and Ohio St-Michigan.

I think ND@UGA week 4 and Clemson@Syracuse week 3 are pretty much tied for most anticipated early season matchups. For whatever reason there isn't anything good on the slate for week 1. Neutral site games aren't that god DUKE is playing Bama in the Falcons stadium. Auburn vs Oregon @ Jerry world is it for marquee week 1 games maybe UF Miami at Camping World counts.

We played Clemson tougher than anyone else and won the year before and they are the 'it' team next year. Even SEC meatheads who hate on the ACC are looking forward to this game. Its a big one.

Not saying it couldn’t be big but let’s be honest, we’re probably 50-50 with Maryland. This isn’t the 2018 SU team.

I know this won’t be a popular statement with all, but we are losing the main reason SU has been competitive with elite teams.

Now that Tommy is behind the wheel, I am 444% behind him and expect him to do great things in his time here.

But some folks are dramatically underestimating the impact of losing Eric Dungey.

AMEN, and as much as i LOVE TD . HE isn't plug and play in this offense, as awesome as it is;) ED did things off the stat sheet that many of us will never give him credit for or realize the team impact.

AMEN, and as much as i LOVE TD . HE isn't plug and play in this offense, as awesome as it is;) ED did things off the stat sheet that many of us will never give him credit for or realize the team impact.
It is pretty simple really ED extended plays, for TD and by extension the team for next year to do well our pass protaction must be better, if given the time TD will be able to pick otthers apart because he is actually a better passer than ED. Pass protection will be key for success next year. We may have a better running attack, which will be important too.

Not saying it couldn’t be big but let’s be honest, we’re probably 50-50 with Maryland. This isn’t the 2018 SU team.

With a new coach at Maryland, you think we'd be favorites.
With that new coach being Mike Locksley, I KNOW we'll be favorites.

It is pretty simple really ED extended plays, for TD and by extension the team for next year to do well our pass protaction must be better, if given the time TD will be able to pick otthers apart because he is actually a better passer than ED. Pass protection will be key for success next year. We may have a better running attack, which will be important too.

As much as Eric extended plays, most of his impact was running the ball. He had great passing games a handful of times last year, but it was hardly a given.

Tommy can make the throws a lot faster and a lot more accurately than Eric. Tommy can make all the throws. But how we he handle it when he gets hit in the mouth a few times?

I'm glad that Clemson's D line will be rebuilt and it's early. I would feel a lot better, though, if we had a great left tackle.

Dark Horse: Syracuse

The Orange are listed as only the fifth-best national title choice from the ACC at 200-to-1, but Syracuse – unlike the rest of the ACC – has shown it can compete with Clemson. Last year, Syracuse nearly won at Clemson and in 2017, stunned Clemson in the Carrier Dome.

Syracuse should breeze through its non-conference slate with games at Liberty and Maryland and home vs. Western Michigan and Holy Cross.

The Orange must replace quarterback Eric Dungey, with Tommy DeVito expected to get the nod. Because of Syracuse’s emphasis on its rushing game, that might not be a tough transition. In Dino Babers’ first year with Syracuse in 2016, the Orange averaged only 119 yards per game on the ground. Last year, the Orange averaged more than 200 yards rushing per game.

With Babers, the Orange are definitely trending in the right direction. After only eight victories the first two years, Syracuse won 10 games last season for the first time since 2001, capped with a 34-18 win against West Virginia in the Camping World Bowl.

We’ll know early if Syracuse is a legit contender when defending national champion Clemson visits on Sept. 24. It will be Clemson’s first trip back to the Dome since the Orange stunned Clemson 27-24 in 2017.

I will say that a huge part of the reason GT leads the all time series by a large margin is that every game for 70+ years was played in Atlanta before going split venue.

Tommy Devito has been working with this offense for 3 years now. He Knows this offense as well as dungey did probably at this point. Yes there are things that ED did that Devito cant do but at the same time there will be stuff that TD can do that Dungey didnt. TD has already won 2 Conference games coming in as a backup. We have a bright bright future ahead of us at QB.

This should be some motivation. Look at number one. It made me want to punch myself in the face. :mad:

Reactions: gbo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom